Super-raers?

Comments

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    ahhh shit thats it!! how rare is this joint??

• TenyuTenyu 30 Posts
    ahhh shit thats it!! how rare is this joint??

Rare in the states, maybe more uncommon than rare in Japan though.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Is anybody willing & able to talk about what's on this sisters of bagdad?

Sisters, aye?

Scott Harlow did a 4 page report about it on the Fryers msg board last week. Its the soundtrack to a play. fonks. 2000 is alot. Detroit dudes, get to sniffin'

Detroit dudes been sniffin'. All involved have been contacted, too, so the chances of any quantity appearing at any point is negligible.

sayin'. I remebmer BTB or one of the Detroiters tellin me about it 3 or so years ago, and the one Harlow put up is the only copy ive ever seen offered... EVAR

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    Sorry to deviate slightly onto hip-hop, but...

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    supposed (5)-(10) copies

that seems highly unlikely.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    This fits the description

Mega-rare (only a handful of copies in the entire world)
    never seen for sale on ebay, lists or otherwise.

killer tune, everything you would want in a funk track

there have been (at least) 2 of these on ebay so far this year. here's one:

Clicky

• DCarfagna said:
    Apple & the Three Oranges "Curse Upon The World" (Sagittarius)

I believe DJ Cash Money has this... not 100% 'cos it was about 5 years ago that I saw it, but i'm pretty sure...

Don't think so. There is one known copy and it's in Japan.
    Plus dude would never go for an unknown record such as this,
    because five years ago he was trying to get shit like Billy Garner and Fatback Band.

Fabulous Fugitives on J'Ace is not that rare, I've had four or five in my life.

In the 90s Malcolm Catto had a copy I made a scan/recording from (maybe it's that copy going to Japan - if not, there are at least 2 copies)

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Latte pass. Was that Soul Cavaliers still less than 5 as of this year? Oh well...

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    peacefulrotation said:
    That Matthew Larkin Cassell record.

I dunno, I've had several copies of that record in the last five years...maybe it's more common here in SF?

Never saw this thread originally -- interesting shtuff!

There were originally 1000 copies of "Pieces" and 500 copies of "Matt the Cat" pressed.

Think there are only like 100 copies of the 45 from 82 pressed up.

The Ambassador Sekou aka E Wiley Von Huff and Puff LP I imagine is quite rare...few on this board might have a little better of an idea than I do, though ;-)

• exte82exte82 202 Posts
    Anyone knows how many copies where made of Gloria Ann Taylor - Deep Inside You 12" with Walter Whisenhunt Orchesra? I ask it because Ive seen told that there were only 80 pressed and also 150 were pressed. I see this release quite often on sale on ebay.

And anyone got any info about this album? Betty Lou Landreth - Betty Lou (YaYa) (with Marcus Belgrave).

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Nightmare by the Andantes, a Motown backup vocal group.

• FYI guys - and this is related to everything in this thread -

According to RTI, Bill Smith and Richard Simpson, who I have all asked on separate independent occasions, 500 copie ha always been the minimum for a full run pressing with a sleeve and label. Rosa and the awesome Irishman at g&m wouldn slate a label for printing unless it was 500/500. Anyone BITD who would inquire for smaller runs from plants was usually referred to Century or Mark or another custom house, BUT, as the laquer and plating costs are fixed, I really cant imagine anyone doing runs in less then 150 as each copy would have cost them an arm and a leg. So, IMO, unless it's a Custom job (century etc) speculating how many copies I would say 500 is always a safe start. Pressing vinyl is ardous and there are many steps involved, its usually not worth anyones time to do less than 100 even with custom jobs. Maybe Dante can seed light on the Century pricing structure, I'm pretty sure shadow or dc turned up a catalog back in the day.

When dealing with "megarares" do with this information as you will.

As far as whisenhunt goes, I turned up te first copies I ever heard of a few years ago in a crack spot, all sealed deadstock. I passed on it once because I saw orchestra and glazed over it. Seond time I was there I bought them up for 99 cents on a whim. The moral is I am pretty sure a box turned up in 2007 in la and we are seeing the turning and selling of these existing copies. I would say there are probably 250 of that record but thats just a guess.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• ^^^^
    My point exactly, and this is a "custom house"

If you were an act looking to get a record made BITD, and you contacted Finch, I would think anyone considering 1 copy at $50 (an acetate probably) 100 copies at $210 ($2.10) a unit, or 500 copies at $340 (0.68) a unit would go with the 500 copies - from a business stance it's a no brainer.

The only reason i bring this up is i have had LOTS of dealers over the years try to tell me there are only a few copies of something when logic and math prove otherwise. I remember Kevin Donan trying to tell me there were only 5 copies of the Ya-Ho_Wah record with them on the cadallac, and i was like, "Kevin, it's a got full picture sleeve forrchsissake".. of course this happened much more in the pre-internet days of digging.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    This is all very logical and true of LPs. That said, there are definitly lots of 45s that were pressed in quantities of 50-100

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    exte82 said:
    Betty Lou Landreth - Betty Lou (YaYa) (with Marcus Belgrave).

what do you want to know?

4YearGraduate said:
    I remember Kevin Donan trying to tell me...

Oh, the things I remember Kevin Donan trying to tell everyone.

• Dude, I would SERIOUSLY contribute to that or a MUSTAFA thread.

These young dudes have no idea what the good ole days of diggin' were like

4YearGraduate said:
    Dude, I would SERIOUSLY contribute to that or a MUSTAFA thread.

These young dudes have no idea what the good ole days of diggin' were like

Oh, there have been a good amount of Kevin Donan anecdotes retold here throughout the years. I always welcome the opportunity to rehash his story about leaving a recording session in a mansion to go outside and inspect a friends vast collection of dildos.

Yes, you read that correctly, and no, I'm not bullshitting.

Feel like I might was well throw a pause in there for safety's sake

• His fight with the Beatnuts, how he is responsible for the Chronic, the program, all the stuff we boosted from Melrose, his movie script, etc. etc.

I could probably do a lawrence thread too.

damn i miss the old LA

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    There's a Century order form from the early 70's that I was surprised to see lists prices on runs smaller than 100. I think smaller than 50 even. It cost something crazy like $20 per.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    triptoyourmind said:
    Anyone know anything about the kiwi Dr. Tree 'Eugino D' 45? It was supposedly a radio promo, my guess is it would be on emi like the lp. I've never met anyone who had a copy.

I'd give my left nut for a copy of the tko's single, must be pretty rare too, Herm on the flip:

yes i have the Dr. Tree 45 in question. EMI radio station promo. Big "A" over the whole front side of the label... Those who have been to my house have seen this 45. Ask Callum Flack, for those who know, he was here on the weekend and we gave it a spin.

And no, I will not post a picture. Just take my word.

bevan

down_beat said:
    How many known copies of TKO's aussie/NZ press??

John at Revolve, Erskinville, Sydney (great shop, great guy, have a Coopers while you look) used to have a stash of around 20 back in the late 80s, early 90s, when they were thought worthless... How many around now? Don't know. Don't know the story of the press's distribution. Must still be a few in New Zealand.

Idem has this.
    Cut Chemist has this.
    Jinx has this.
    Callum Flack has this.
    I have this.
    There must be more who have this.

And this guy even has this;

jinx74 said:
    this is all of 180 UK Pounds Raer, even though the two tracks are readily available on comps.

this is a fair price for this record. $300-400 for a mint copy. i got mine for $225 or something like that. john idem was trying to tell me $600+. out his damn mind... im still upset that he sent me fucked up copies of the Little Beaver 45 5yrs back trying to say they were mint when he mailed them. worst lie EVER!

yeah, you're not the only one. A customer ordered a freakin' Shaft soundtrack through the store I was working at, he said mint, it came G+. He tried to tell me that I fucked it up on purpose. Needless to say, mr. 200crates gets no love in the land down under anymore...

• indiana45s said:
    Anyone ever seen
    Machine - s/t (Stang)?

I have only seen this once - in an Ebay auction several years ago. I can't remember the catalog no. or whether it was Stang or Turbo. There was a photo of the band surrounded by nuts and bolts on the cover. The entire thing screamed All-Platinum subsidiary.

Has the existence of this record ever been verified. I remember someone coming on the board a few years ago, and claiming to have found it. He said it had an instrumental version of "Why Cant People Be Colors Too" by the Whatnauts. The dude said he would post something, but never reported back. Fake find or Mythical raer?

I remember Chris from Groove Merchant talking about some lesbian record on All Platinum, and I can believe the group of labels has some incredibly rare stuff.

• As far as I know this is the only copy.

• Nate, unless you got that from a dude in Gary, it is not the only copy. I recall that record being pretty horrible due to the guys crappy singing. Bilalian Foundation related, I recall

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    djsheep said:
    down_beat said:
    How many known copies of TKO's aussie/NZ press??

John at Revolve, Erskinville, Sydney (great shop, great guy, have a Coopers while you look) used to have a stash of around 20 back in the late 80s, early 90s, when they were thought worthless... How many around now? Don't know. Don't know the story of the press's distribution. Must still be a few in New Zealand.

Idem has this.
    Cut Chemist has this.
    Jinx has this.
    Callum Flack has this.
    I have this.
    There must be more who have this.
    yes there are, they just don't tend to leave collections once added.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    This is a great quote:

LaserWolf said:
    PS: Spell check says ballers is not a word. Shows what level Bill Gates is playing at.

b/w

I wanna hear some of these Kevin Donan stories!

not sure if it's a super raer, but Carleen & The Groovers was dropped in this set....

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/Mixes/indepth/weird_gear_-_august_2010/