Super-raers?

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Is anybody willing & able to talk about what's on this sisters of bagdad?

Sisters, aye?

Scott Harlow did a 4 page report about it on the Fryers msg board last week. Its the soundtrack to a play. fonks. 2000 is alot. Detroit dudes, get to sniffin'

Detroit dudes been sniffin'. All involved have been contacted, too, so the chances of any quantity appearing at any point is negligible.

sayin'. I remebmer BTB or one of the Detroiters tellin me about it 3 or so years ago, and the one Harlow put up is the only copy ive ever seen offered... EVAR

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Exactly. I mean you gotta figure that most small press records are pressings of 1-500 copies. I doubt you've ever been able to go get 5 copies of a record pressed (not counting acetates). It just does not make sense. So, unless it is known that most copies of something were somehow destroyed, I find it hard to believe that there are all these "5 known copies in existance" type records.

I'd believe it.

Many of these records were sold or given out only at gigs, maybe at a few local shops... these artists didn't have any promotion, sales were nearly non-existant, usually a lot of the stock of that couple hundred pressed gets tossed out by the artist/producer/label out of disgust.

Apparantly I have at least one "only known copy" 45... potentially the "only known copy" of a local soul LP... a friend recently sold one of two known copies of a 45...

I'm not saying the copies in collector's hands should be the only ones counted, but if they're the only ones KNOWN to exist thats why "5 known copies in existance" is said....

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Is anybody willing & able to talk about what's on this sisters of bagdad?

Sisters, aye?

Scott Harlow did a 4 page report about it on the Fryers msg board last week. Its the soundtrack to a play. fonks. 2000 is alot. Detroit dudes, get to sniffin'

Thanks for the info. Sounds interesting.... too bad the (turkish) sqliens got Fryer!!!

• Rob_SevierRob_Sevier 150 Posts

I'm not saying the copies in collector's hands should be the only ones counted, but if they're the only ones KNOWN to exist thats why "5 known copies in existance" is said....

What I'm curious about are records with no known copies to exist. Records that are mythical to the point of mere conjecture.

Two come to mind:

The original, local pressing of The Steelers' "Get It From the Bottom". The record hit nationally on Date, but the members claim it was released locally. Has anyone seen it? It seems to have eluded the best collectors. It also has eluded the authors of the superb volume Vocal Group Harmony Singles 1960 - 1990, which bears no mention of the single or even the rumour of the single's existence.

The members of the Chosen Few claim there was a pressing of "We Are The Chosen Few/Cut Me In" prior to its dubious Mod-Art issue. Lamar Bell claims there's at least one copy in his attic, yet has failed to produce it.

The artists are certainly not infallible, but it's hard to flatly deny the possibility that these records exist simply based on the fact that they've never turned up, to anyone who cares' knowledge. In fact, the record could be sitting in a stack of 45s owned by a sample-fiend insulated from the greater collector community. The last great frontier of discographical knowledge will probably come from the collections of dilettantes.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    2000 is alot. Detroit dudes, get to sniffin'

sniffin' is bad for your health.

I don't care how many they made( or said they made) - I look at alot of records & it's proven to be fairly unfindable - whether someone would trade 'Soul Heart Transplant' for a copy is another story...

I keep my ear to the streets though, I need to 'mint up'

• any other strutters own a copy of this lp?

The original, local pressing of The Steelers' "Get It From the Bottom". The record hit nationally on Date, but the members claim it was released locally. Has anyone seen it? It seems to have eluded the best collectors. It also has eluded the authors of the superb volume Vocal Group Harmony Singles 1960 - 1990, which bears no mention of the single or even the rumour of the single's existence.

is the 45 credited to Wes Wells & the Steelers a later version?

btb

• doeizmdoeizm 77 Posts

then you got the Upheaval 45 which was hand pressed in the basement of a max security prison and limited to 25 copies.

that shit is monster biz.

No doubt - i think someone will have to pry my cold dead fingers off of that one...

Does anyone have the Syndicate Conveyance LP? Killer latin-y version of "Gimme Your Love". Been curious about it and I've only encountered one other dude that has one, but I haven't asked about it alot either...this guy has the cover only:
    http://www.showandtellmusic.com/2006/03/syndicate.html

btb

What label? there are a couple releases by them credited to Wes Wells & the Steelers.
    Rob

btb

What label? there are a couple releases by them credited to Wes Wells & the Steelers.
    Rob

maybe it was on Torrid? I don't think I have the record anymore so I can't doublecheck it...

---

Are you saying that you had "Get It From the Bottom" on Torrid? Because that would be the hypothesized local pressing.

Keep in mind, though, that there were other Steelers records on Torrid, one of which is quite common.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    again you have mega rare, such as the messengers inc. "soulful proclomation" lp, which is hella rare but a strutter is sittin on a pile of em.

Who?

• indiana45sindiana45s 266 Posts
    Anyone ever seen
    Machine - s/t (Stang)?

I have only seen this once - in an Ebay auction several years ago. I can't remember the catalog no. or whether it was Stang or Turbo. There was a photo of the band surrounded by nuts and bolts on the cover. The entire thing screamed All-Platinum subsidiary.

And while we're at it, anyone every hear Mabu's Madness on Maple?

• CHAPLIN HARNESS

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    yo p_trick,

those are bootlegs of previously issued tunes. the w.i. locale is just a sham to hide the fact that they are boots.

my friend raised this question 4 years ago, since then we solved it.

if i recall right, aren't the Arawak pressings of Apache the same deal... NYC pressings (possibly by Paul Winley) w/ fake jamaican location to get away w/ bootlegging?

• then you got the Upheaval 45 which was hand pressed in the basement of a max security prison and limited to 25 copies.

No doubt - i think someone will have to pry my cold dead fingers off of that one...

Seriously such a dope track. Too bad Mr Tambourine man couldn't quite keep up. Heavy Heavy shit.

Where's the cd???

Does anyone know of a 45 titled "Black Beauty" and credited to Rex???

Pretty insane, and I've never been able to find a single reference to it

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts

What kind of sound?

• How long until someone with a post count of 3 posts up a want list in the trades forum with all of these on it?

3 days...

• How long until someone with a post count of 3 posts up a want list in the trades forum with all of these on it?

3 days...

well not now, you just made them all nervous n shit

7 days

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

What kind of sound?

Rex on Sax
    "Black Beauty #1/ Black Beauty #2" (D.D. Records no #)*

* B-side by Dennis on Drums

Matt Weingarden has a copy. Hard funky jazz sound as I recall.
    Probably from Los Angeles by the looks of it.

How long until Nate Bizzo posts up a want list in the trades forum with all of these on it?

• francislaifrancislai 371 Posts

What kind of sound?

Rex on Sax[/b]

how saxxxy is it?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Rumors:
    1) James Brown claims that he pressed up Please Please Please and distributed it himself to radio stations in hopes of landing a record deal. (Or maybe Ralph Bass pressed them to get King to sign JB.) Have any of these ever turned up? 1956 James Brown Private Press?

2) Dealers with quantity of mega rarities can not be trusted to give accurate accounting of how many they have or how many they sold. Some want to be ballers may inflate their finds. Others may understate the #s so as not to decrease perceived value.

PS: Spell check says ballers is not a word. Shows what level Bill Gates is playing at.

What kind of sound?

Rex on Sax

how saxxxy is it?

hahahaha.... lol

this record is nuts, i haven't listened to it in years but it got a lot of play back when i dug it up.

both sides sound entirely different. i think one may be a ballad, but i always listened to the other. INSANE superfast wah-wah thing with dude yelling about 'black beauty, white beauty, yella beauty... waaaaah!' thats really too frenetic to be labeled funk even though its funky and barely even a song.fantastic stuff, i'll try to digitize at some point.

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts

then you got the Upheaval 45 which was hand pressed in the basement of a max security prison and limited to 25 copies.

Could we please have taste of what this sounds like? If this is not a joke I mean.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    2000 is alot. Detroit dudes, get to sniffin'

i'd be surprised if the band pressed 8000 of them.
    might be one of those sweaty palm phone questions: "So how many did ya press?"
    Response: "Oh let's see, hmmm... i'd say at least 8000."

they needed to hire a graphic designer with a pressing of 8000. seriously.

i remember hearing this maybe five years ago in ann arbor at a certain collector's home. really cool document, musically left a bit to be desired. one or two tracker.... but i'd be pretty stoked to see one.

and no i never have.

• kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts
    Anyone have knowledge of a 45 by The Brothers Unique on the Spectrum Sound label? It's a fantastic soul group 45, probably from about 1970. The labels on my copy are basically washed off so finding clues as to group members or geographical location isn't happening. "Gone Are The Days Of Slaves" is one song, the other side I can't make out the title. "Bell Sound" is stamped in the deadwax. I've had this for a couple years and haven't been able to find out anything else.

"Oh let's see, hmmm... i'd say at least 8000."

aleit you are so right.

in all matters of "how many records?" it makes sense to at least discard one zero.

"I have 10,000 records" blah blah

• MrSeanMrSean 57 Posts
    "Oh let's see, hmmm... i'd say at least 8000."

aleit you are so right.

in all matters of "how many records?" it makes sense to at least discard one zero.

"I have 10,000 records" blah blah

Yeah it looks that way; artists over guessing their print run. One of the ones that stuck in my mind was Cleveland Robinson saying he sold "9000 copies in 12 days" of his 'Love is A Trap' 45 on Nosinbor. I've seen that 45 maybe 2 or 3 times only.