Super-raers?

Comments

• djrdjr 511 Posts

There is that Frank Wilson record on Soul with only one known copy.

There are actually 2 known copies, one in the UK, one in Canada.

The reason why there are so few copies (per the web):

A source at Motown/Polygram revealed Wilson's about turn on his vocal debut and quickly convinced Berry Gordy to destroy all existing promo copies.

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts
    Ok no scans but:

Flourescent Smog "all of my life" (WG)
    Soul Bros. Inc. "teardrops" (Salem)

peace
    L

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts

a super-raer not only has to be super-rare but also a very desireable record...which usually means it has to be blindingly good in addition to being rare.

here's something i found recently which i think would qualify...a trinidad funk / disco 12" with sick breaks and really good playing throughout...both sides are bangers and the only info i found on the net was a thread on a hip-hop board about breaks. anybody know this? it's The Lovemakers "Sex" / "Right Place" 12".

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The reason why there are so few copies (per the web):

A source at Motown/Polygram revealed Wilson's about turn on his vocal debut and quickly convinced Berry Gordy to destroy all existing promo copies.

Huh. The story I heard was that Gordy was adamant about having his producer/songwriters behind the scenes and to let the stars handle vocal duties, and that he convinced Frank to give up on a performing career

I imagined this was the reason Leon Ware later was never given his fair shake at Motown

I have a decent local funk 45 that is unknown even by experts... but I haven't asked Dante or Shadow about it.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

I got that Naomi Davis "Wind Your Clock" 10" test press. I think there are like max 25 of those out there. If that many. Not really sure tho. Either way, its a great tune.

-peeJ

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

This is a Caribbean boot/pressing of the Boobie Knight. I found a 25-count box of these in Illinois a few years back.

My nominee for rarest funk/soul LP is the Marvin Peterson & the Soul Masters Band "Live At The Burning Bush" on Century.
    I turned up a copy in the mid-90s and still to this day no one knows shit about its existence.
    Monster funk from 1971, Texas vanity like a mug, stock "gospel hands" cover.

This is a Caribbean boot/pressing of the Boobie Knight. I found a 25-count box of these in Illinois a few years back.

thanks for clearing that up...so 26 copies...still raer!

I have a decent local funk 45 that is unknown even by experts... but I haven't asked Dante or Shadow about it.

Hit me.

was Boobie Knight from the carribean? i also have the "Juicy Fruit" 12" he did in the early 80s...i put it on my brooklyn mix...it's on a brooklyn label.

Pretty sure Boobie Knight was from New York. Brooklyn even.
    I have heard many, many times that Knight's brother holds the Soul Record Ark of the Covenant.
    Just sitting on thousands and thousands of local records.

it's strange that a trinidad label would boot something that obscure right?

i mean, i know Arawak did those Ja "apache" / "bongo rock" boots but that's a bit different. those weren't as obscure.

it's strange that a trinidad label would boot something that obscure right?

i mean, i know Arawak did those Ja "apache" / "bongo rock" boots but that's a bit different. those weren't as obscure.

I'd say no more obscure than IBB at the time

His two albums were on RCA and Brunswick, big labels with mass distribution. He just didn't have any real hits so he's unknown now.

but the Arawak's came out in the b-boy era i'm pretty sure...when those tracks were known and in high demand...not sure when this Boobie boot came out. but even still...did those records make their way to the carribean and them somebody heard them and thought...man, i really need to press some of these up on 12"!

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    This fits the description

Mega-rare (only a handful of copies in the entire world)
    never seen for sale on ebay, lists or otherwise.

killer tune, everything you would want in a funk track

A few turned up last year, maybe the year before.

If I recall correctly it was two and they found their way into collectors hands mighty quickly.

Dante, have you heard of the soul group Sity & James on Sprout?

• down_beatdown_beat 57 Posts
    the whole df board was offered a copy around that time, for some primetime trades naturally.

Well not quite everyone, chris.....and not many of them would be interested in LP's....unlike myself

i just meant there was a post in the trades section over there from scott offering it up to anyone with some specific quadruple-digit range 45s.

furthermore, it should be noted here that that cover is the basis for conchillo's photoshop of the "2nd us warren lp" that people still think is real.....

That fooled someone when the topic of the 2 sisters from Baghdad LP was mentioned a week ago on the DF board.

I think Mr Finewine now has the copy that Scott (Harlow?) offered for trade on the DF board last year-ish. I think Beaver has a copy as well. Hit em up Greg!

It rings a bell. I want to say a NYC 45, but there are so many records floating in my brain that I may be confused.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

It rings a bell. I want to say a NYC 45, but there are so many records floating in my brain that I may be confused.

Yes, it's out of the Bronx, folks seem to know some other titles on that label but not this one so far, good tune.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    If I recall correctly it was two and they found their way into collectors hands mighty quickly.

There was a few copies that a London chap turned up, and they stayed in his for sale box for a month or so - I think he sold one on his website and the rest went privately.

• beatstew72beatstew72 314 Posts
    wanda davis SAVE ME is proving to be a bugger to find...

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

My nominee for rarest funk/soul LP is the Marvin Peterson & the Soul Masters Band "Live At The Burning Bush" on Century.

This photo and the comment above just forced me to go home and change my pants at lunch. This thread is getting me steamy.

Where's my boy XXXdiggerfiction? It's been a while.

XOXOXOXOXOXXXO

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    There are only 3 known copies of the Linda Balantine 45 on Bandit. Every one of them is hammered, though Dante's copy is playable. Also on the Bandit tip is a 45 by a group called the Michigan Avenue Sound Orchestra. So far only one copy has turned up of that I know of.

On the Lavice & Co tip, according to the producer, there were 8000 copies made, 2000 of which sold, the rest thrown in the trash around 1980.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Is anybody willing & able to talk about what's on this sisters of bagdad?

Sisters, aye?

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

Sisters, aye?

Scott Harlow did a 4 page report about it on the Fryers msg board last week. Its the soundtrack to a play. fonks. 2000 is alot. Detroit dudes, get to sniffin'

• francislaifrancislai 371 Posts
    a super-raer not only has to be super-rare but also a very desireable record...which usually means it has to be blindingly good in addition to being rare.

here's something i found recently which i think would qualify...a trinidad funk / disco 12" with sick breaks and really good playing throughout...both sides are bangers and the only info i found on the net was a thread on a hip-hop board about breaks. anybody know this? it's The Lovemakers "Sex" / "Right Place" 12".

yo p_trick,

those are bootlegs of previously issued tunes. the w.i. locale is just a sham to hide the fact that they are boots.

my friend raised this question 4 years ago, since then we solved it.

• Rob_SevierRob_Sevier 150 Posts
    It's a religious-themed black arts musical. LaVice & Co. were a theater company, Garrison was a songwriter/musician who happened to be LaVive's brother-in-law. The LP is the score of the musical, which explores a bizarre range of religious themes about the relationship between heaven and hell. There are 2 funky pieces, one gorgeous female group soul piece, a piece that could easily pass as "spiritual" jazz, a bit of incidental music, and a couple of soulish boners.

All in all a pretty eccentric LP that is spotty as a unit but has some great moments.

• Rob_SevierRob_Sevier 150 Posts

Sisters, aye?

Scott Harlow did a 4 page report about it on the Fryers msg board last week. Its the soundtrack to a play. fonks. 2000 is alot. Detroit dudes, get to sniffin'

Detroit dudes been sniffin'. All involved have been contacted, too, so the chances of any quantity appearing at any point is negligible.

see there is rare (bobby williams funky superfly fan club issue) which is hella rare, but that is documented.

then there is mythical raer....

evan's pyramid lp

-anyone got it for me?
    allegedly a hand drawn cover for every copy and a run of 50.

what else is only on the bigfoot/yeti level....

again you have mega rare, such as the messengers inc. "soulful proclomation" lp, which is hella rare but a strutter is sittin on a pile of em.

then you got the Upheaval 45 which was hand pressed in the basement of a max security prison and limited to 25 copies.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

then you got the Upheaval 45 which was hand pressed in the basement of a max security prison and limited to 25 copies.

that shit is monster biz.