Super-raers?

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
I'm curious as to what good records out there are super raer. I mean like only two or three known copies in existance and do you own any of them.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I don't think there are that many records period that there are only 2-3 copies of. Even mythical raer stuff like Kerouac on Dot, or the Cain Mutiny soundtrack are not that rare.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    That Matthew Larkin Cassell record.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Are you including acetates? 'Cause there's a shitload of those.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I think Dante said that only Shadow and the group have known copies of this right now. PDX stand up. Get familiar with the reish.

I think Dante said that only Shadow and the group have known copies of this right now. PDX stand up. Get familiar with the reish.

If we're including 45's, the list gets A LOT longer.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I don't think there are that many records period that there are only 2-3 copies of. Even mythical raer stuff like Kerouac on Dot, or the Cain Mutiny soundtrack are not that rare.

Wait, are you saying there might be 500 copies of this sitting in some old lady's backyard spiderhole?

I'm crushed

On the subject at hand, Dante mentioned in a recent thread that there are still only 2 known copies of the Milk 45. I thought I read long ago that someone had come up on a thrashed copy but I don't recall well enough to figure out where and when that was or if that was in addition to the two copies he knows of.

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts

This LP contains the JB's versions of USE ME and WATERMELON MAN... These exist on a rare french pressing that has the reputation to be expensive. I've been told that this is the only release (excluding acetates) of these tracks. True ??? Does anyone knows its value ???

Wait, are you saying there might be 500 copies of this sitting in some old lady's backyard spiderhole?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I sold a copy to a strutter. Does he remember that he has it?

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

C*l from the DF board was offered one a year or so ago - would this be the same copy?

Just trying to gauge how many of these are around....and yeah, it ain't many.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Details please. Oh, and thanks for calling Mr PDX Funk 45 first.

• FunkyFlatulentFunkyFlatulent 1,106 Posts
    when Afrika Bambaataa listed his break list in 88 edition of England's Blues and Soul magazine is said that these records were so rare that only Bam had them or they didn't exist.

More info please.

Minimum Wage by Rock N Roll

and

Give The Drummer Some by Little Milton
    ?????

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Yes - I think I still have it somewhere. Sheesh. I thought it sounded great, but I had no IDEA.

• chrischris 287 Posts

C*l from the DF board was offered one a year or so ago - would this be the same copy?

Just trying to gauge how many of these are around....and yeah, it ain't many.

the whole df board was offered a copy around that time, for some primetime trades naturally.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Okay I'm the guy out of the know here.

What's the deal with 2 sisters of bagdad?

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    the whole df board was offered a copy around that time, for some primetime trades naturally.

Well not quite everyone, chris.....and not many of them would be interested in LP's....unlike myself

• That Matthew Larkin Cassell record.

I dunno, I've had several copies of that record in the last five years...maybe it's more common here in SF?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Yes - I think I still have it somewhere. Sheesh. I thought it sounded great, but I had no IDEA.

two three known copies!

That's pretty cool... it's hilarious to me how many supposedly incredibly mind numbingly rare (or, I guess "super-raer") records are owned by one if not multiple soulstrutters.

The supposed number of copies pressed/known of any given record gets bandied about pretty casually. In some cases pressing numbers are well-researched, but a lot of the time it's taken from rumor and ebay descriptions. A lot of label owners & artists even have a hard time remembering.

Really? I thought I sold it to that bay area scholar. Then I remembered I always call you first.

two three known copies!

That's pretty cool... it's hilarious to me how many supposedly incredibly mind numbingly rare (or, I guess "super-raer") records are owned by one if not multiple soulstrutters.

The supposed number of copies pressed/known of any given record gets bandied about pretty casually. In some cases pressing numbers are well-researched, but a lot of the time it's taken from rumor and ebay descriptions. A lot of label owners & artists even have a hard time remembering.

Exactly. I mean you gotta figure that most small press records are pressings of 1-500 copies. I doubt you've ever been able to go get 5 copies of a record pressed (not counting acetates). It just does not make sense. So, unless it is known that most copies of something were somehow destroyed, I find it hard to believe that there are all these "5 known copies in existance" type records.

• when Afrika Bambaataa listed his break list in 88 edition of England's Blues and Soul magazine is said that these records were so rare that only Bam had them or they didn't exist.

More info please.

and

?????

I've wanted to know about these for some time too.

Someone on this board should know the deal.

My guess is he made the records up

two three known copies!

Exactly. I mean you gotta figure that most small press records are pressings of 1-500 copies. I doubt you've ever been able to go get 5 copies of a record pressed (not counting acetates). It just does not make sense. So, unless it is known that most copies of something were somehow destroyed, I find it hard to believe that there are all these "5 known copies in existance" type records.

I think vanity labels would press micro runs. Labels like Century which the C Unltd was on. As I recall Dante said that when they found the band they couldn't remember making the record. Mingering Mike paid for pressings of one or two also I believe. There is that Frank Wilson record on Soul with only one known copy. Based on the price of the Frank Wilson the people who spent $1,200 on James Brown acetates got a steal.

I tried to find the band but the names on the label were like Michael Johnson and James Jones. I asked some old timers, but didn't find anything. Dante and Josh did their homework, found sources in my hood that I didn't think to ask.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I picked that Cavaliers re-ish up the other week, pretty cool. A friend of mine has a real rare 45 by an Australian 60s garage/psych band called the Elois, it has a yellow label & is pretty cool, he seems to like to tell me how scarce it is. Pretty funny, I'd never heard of it, but then again, not really my scene.

• chrischris 287 Posts

Well not quite everyone, chris.....and not many of them would be interested in LP's....unlike myself

i just meant there was a post in the trades section over there from scott offering it up to anyone with some specific quadruple-digit range 45s.

furthermore, it should be noted here that that cover is the basis for conchillo's photoshop of the "2nd us warren lp" that people still think is real.....

i just meant there was a post in the trades section over there from scott offering it up to anyone with some specific quadruple-digit range 45s.

He offered it here as well.

furthermore, it should be noted here that that cover is the basis for conchillo's photoshop of the "2nd us warren lp" that people still think is real.....

Indeed. Weren't you the one who asked him to produce the proof?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

He offered it here as well.

Indeed. Weren't you the one who asked him to produce the proof?

E.R. Sanctified Jones is For Realls. Proof: track number 2 (right after "Goodie Box" and before "The Fourth Movement") is entitled "I Like To Take My Time." Nassty stuff.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    when Afrika Bambaataa listed his break list in 88 edition of England's Blues and Soul magazine is said that these records were so rare that only Bam had them or they didn't exist.

More info please.

and

?????

I've wanted to know about these for some time too.

Someone on this board should know the deal.

My guess is he made the records up

the first one is probably 'Minimum Wage Rock and Roll' by the Bus Boys

'Give the Drummer Some' is possibly a Little Hooks track.