NON RAERS YOU SLEPT ON (RR)

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
TEN YEARS AFTER - WAITDIONNE WARWICK - JUST BEING MYSELFBOBBY WOMACK - UNDERSTANDINGLOVE - DA CAPO

Comments

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Some common-ish Motown LPs recently acquired:

Smokey Robinson - Pure Smokey
    De Barge - All This Love

SG

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Ahhh...there's so many:

Roy Meriwether Trio - Jesus Christ Superstar Goes Jazz

Help me to avoid further nonraer sleeping sessions by posting some more.

• Roy Meriwether Trio - Jesus Christ Superstar Goes Jazz

where is this non-raer?

Roy Meriwether Trio - Jesus Christ Superstar Goes Jazz

where is this non-raer?

Am I mistaken? I swear I had seen this before, but never picked it up.

• Roy Meriwether Trio - Jesus Christ Superstar Goes Jazz

where is this non-raer?

Am I mistaken? I swear I had seen this before, but never picked it up.

take me shopping with you plaese

I had to go on Ebay to get my copy

Well that's nice I suppose. Back to the topic at hand.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Well that's nice I suppose. Back to the topic at hand.

hmm I have this in my sell piles I think, gonna have to give it another shot

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Ditto.

I also slept on a lot of Ramsey Lewis jernts.

• Well that's nice I suppose. Back to the topic at hand.

hmm I have this in my sell piles I think, gonna have to give it another shot

yes

Don't sleep on Carl Carlton and Evelyn King neither

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Tons of that older motown stuff... Smokey Robinson, the Temps, Martha Reeves being my favorites now.

Older Stevie didn't get a lot of play for a while, until I remembered that "I Was Made to Love Her," was like the hotest song on the planet.

Part of the problem with that stuff is that it is so ubiquitous in stores, on oldies stations, etc. that it is easy to overlook. Then, one of those songs comes on at the right moment, and blows your doors off.

• bakerybakery 1 Post
    scott: illuminations is the poor man's paralleograms

oh hell yes

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

O.V. Wright's The Bottom Line. Avoided this one for years because it's from '77 or '78 and I feared it might be a disco album. Then I heard "I Don't Do Windows," bought the album for that one song, and it turns out it was hard southern soul all the way through - maybe TOO downhome to catch on in those disco-crazy years, but it works fine for me.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ...and my obligatory follow-up post where
    I exclaim that his version of "Let's Straighten It Out"
    on this album melts the flesh completely from my skull...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    scott: illuminations is the poor man's paralleograms

oh hell yes

Oh, that it were.

Oh that Parallelograms was the poor man's Parallelograms.

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts

Dollar bin on eBay (buy it now). Received recently. Great LP ! Definitely decent all the way throught (except for one or two tracks).

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Luther Ingram 45 "Putting Game Down", the flip to "If Loving You is Wrong(I dont want to be right)"...I musta flipped past this 45 a eleventybazillion times...during a slow day at the shop I decided to put it on. Wow.

I never slept on this one... and post this just in case you are... then, just don't! This music is incredible. Never met another LP from this range in Herbie Man's discography. This is a must have for any music lover... Well worth its ridiculous value!

I know there was a thread recently about this one but it really deserves some insistance. This under rated LP is nothing but '75 latin soul at its best!

Never sleep on this neither if you're into late 60's soul... Not even one loser track... Perfect record!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I know there was a thread recently about this one but it really deserves some insistance. This under rated LP is nothing but '75 latin soul at its best!

Never sleep on this neither if you're into late 60's soul... Not even one loser track... Perfect record!

To be honest, I never saw these two albums (nor Love's Da Capo) that much in the field to call them "non-raers" - maybe it's a regional thing? At any rate I do own the Esquires and Love albums and yes, they are worth finding.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    donald fagan-the nightfly

a bit slick in the production dept. and it veers into adult contemporary in moments but the songs are strong and the lyrics are on point...

• anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    donald fagan-the nightfly

To be honest, I never saw these two albums (nor Love's Da Capo) that much in the field to call them "non-raers" - maybe it's a regional thing? At any rate I do own the Esquires and Love albums and yes, they are worth finding.

To be honest, these are not the typical records you dig in France (even if I founded the Joe Bataan in a french flea market)... I'm just meaning that numerous copies were, are and probably will be available on eBay or in an online store FOR VERY CHEAP if you compare price to musical content. Wherever you find these, they're affordable and excellent.

to me love records and battan on columbia dont qualify as non raers... you can sell them for $30 on ebay (or at least i can).

to me a non rare is a common. classic rock or major soul titles for $1 at 1 in the afternoon at the flea market. that is the new digging frontier. that and horrible private issue.

well... even the classic rock in the shrinkwrap is worth more these days that a copy of some modern soul on elektra and boring old 50's jazz...

james taylor in the shrink for $30 and i cannot even get $8 for the best CTI's...

speaking of...

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

Dollar bin on eBay (buy it now). Received recently. Great LP ! Definitely decent all the way throught (except for one or two tracks).

who the hell would put that record up for a dollar on ebay? why would anyone put any record up for a buy it now dollar on ebay??? dont people got better shit to do with their time?? nice find.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    speaking of...

this is a gem. cymbaline for real

it took j dilla to wake my eyes up to 10cc- sheet music