HI BRAEKS?

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
just wondering with such a vast catalog is there any more drum breaks on the HI record label besides the al green "mahogany" drums. thanks and have a pleasant day, stein. . .

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    no

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    shucks!

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    Wow very good question! Though I belive DJ Quick could Isolate drums from any Hi Record catalog, in his Magic Studio???? Hmm I wonder if he really can do that.... Well very good question indeed, looks like a Job for a Sound Provider or for Scotty

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    well I don't know if this thread is even sincere or not, but the dude on the left in the photo below* has nothin' but love for Hi drums...

*photo copyright "MIT Project #58872: Compare and contrast proof that is OK for black men to wear half-grown facial hair, but not Whitey"

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    no, no breaks on HI....

except for that skullfuckingly hard ass braek on Gene Miller "sho is good" and you dont need a freakin magic studio to isolate them, open and raw....shit he even says "gimmie them drums" right before the braek.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    kim melvin - doin the popcorn... chock full of chunky 348 bpm drum breaks...(thanks hookup).

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Picked up a 7" by Iota a few weeks back that has some open drums. Texas psych/prog on Hi Records, pretty interesting. I'm guessing no album, right?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Picked up a 7" by Iota a few weeks back that has some open drums. Texas psych/prog on Hi Records, pretty interesting. I'm guessing no album, right?

No, at least not from what I've seen on the Both Sides Now discog. They did have another single on M.O.C., a Hi subsidiary. I have the Hi single you're talking about; it's really good. One side has a title like "Within These Precincts," right? With an esoteric title like that, you know this isn't typical Hi fodder.

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

No, at least not from what I've seen on the Both Sides Now discog. They did have another single on M.O.C., a Hi subsidiary. I have the Hi single you're talking about; it's really good. One side has a title like "Within These Precincts," right? With an esoteric title like that, you know this isn't typical Hi fodder.

IOTA!!!!!!!! You busters!!! I've been looking for that single for years! The dope track is the flip..."LOVE COME WICKED!" They have 2 on HI...are you sure about the M.O.C.?

Album indeed...it came out a few years ago though...it contains the 2 singles and the rest is all unreleased stuff.

Willie Mitchell got braeks on a couple of albums. Nothing to poop yourself over though.

One more time...

kim melvin - doin the popcorn... chock full of chunky 348 bpm drum breaks...(thanks hookup).

We asked Willie Mitchell who was playing drums on that track and he said honestly "I can't remember."

There is one other Kim Melvin on HI...not as good.

• wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts
    I got one record, from '76 or something, called the Hi rhythm band or something, I'll find out the name when I get home, plus Bill Black Combo has a break, forget which album, real simple, like kick, hi-hat, snare for two bars, but is still good and loud

I got one record, from '76 or something, called the Hi rhythm band or something, I'll find out the name when I get home, plus Bill Black Combo has a break, forget which album, real simple, like kick, hi-hat, snare for two bars, but is still good and loud

HI Rhythm-On The Loose

Bill Black-Cotton Carnival...the single is on MEGA but you hardly see the album.
    They also do a killer version of "Tramp" which I am on the hunt for since the Hook-Up played it for me on a High C mix.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    well I don't know if this thread is even sincere or not, but the dude on the left in the photo below* has nothin' but love for Hi drums...

But what are his feelings on the Giants?

He looks like he's pretending to shoot you in that photo.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    They also do a killer version of "Tramp" which I am on the hunt for since the Hook-Up played it for me on a High C mix.

Isn't this retitled?

But what are his feelings on the Giants?

He looks like he's pretending to shoot you[/b] in that photo.

WHOA WHOA WHOA!!![/b]
    That ain't ME in that photo!
    yikes, I might be caucasian, but I ain't no peach fuzz phony gang sign throwin' bustah, callin' myself "Bootz!"

Search Engine: google.com
    Search Words: RZA

IOTA!!!!!!!! You busters!!! I've been looking for that single for years! The dope track is the flip..."LOVE COME WICKED!" They have 2 on HI...are you sure about the M.O.C.?

There used to be this site called Fuzz, Acid & Flowers, which was a reference site for almost every imaginable garage and psych band. That's where I found out that the other Iota 45 was on M.O.C.. Don't recall seeing anything about an album - is it a latter-day compilation, or something they pressed themselves back in the time?

I also remember reading that they were Memphis cats...

There used to be this site called Fuzz, Acid & Flowers, which was a reference site for almost every imaginable garage and psych band.

There Still Is

They are not perfect, and have stopped updating the online site (although they sell updated CD Roms), but I still find myself using this site at least a few times every week. Just be aware, their opinions on music may not match yours (or mine)...they tend to not like things that are "funky."

There used to be this site called Fuzz, Acid & Flowers, which was a reference site for almost every imaginable garage and psych band.

Thanks for the info. I know that the site was down for a while...

They are not perfect, and have stopped updating the online site (although they sell updated CD Roms), but I still find myself using this site at least a few times every week. Just be aware, their opinions on music may not match yours (or mine)...they tend to not like things that are "funky."

My only beef is that some groups are summed up with uninformative one-liners. And as far as not liking funky stuff...to their credit, there is a smattering of African-American acts listed who toe the line between funk and rock (like Black Merda and Yellow Sunshine), although I wonder why they think Edwin Birdsong is a group rather than a person.

I also remember reading that they were Memphis cats...

Nope...definitley from Texas.

From the archives of the legendary El Paso, Texas ???Suemi??? label comes this previously unreleased psych masterpiece by IOTA. This 4 piece band tore up Texas before re-locating to Memphis to record for Hi Records in the late 60???s. They released two great 45???s, including the amazing ???Within These Precincts??? in 1971. Deemed too dark and disturbing for commercial radio, these two releases went nowhere and the band went their separate ways after two years of playing and recording. We have compiled the best tracks recorded in both Memphis and El Paso to put together what we feel is one of the finest Texas psych rock LP???s ever released. Songs like ???R.I.P.???, ???Glympses???, ???Bottle Baby???, ???Love Come Wicked??? and the aforementioned ???Precincts??? will have you begging for more from this sadly overlooked band.
    Wailing guitars, swirling organ, strong vocals and a tight rhythm section all shine on this well produced disc. This is just the first in a series of releases out of the SUEMI catalog??????look for upcoming releases by The Wailing Wall, Medicine and other El Paso bands. Limited to 600 copies in a thick, full color jacket with amazing cover art and lots of band photos.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Bill Black-Cotton Carnival...the single is on MEGA but you hardly see the album.

You mean this one?:

I forgot that was on Hi. Yeah, that version of "Tramp" is heavy on the nitgrit drums and bass. Funny thing is, the track is called "Mrs. Nelly B" even though the groove is a obvious ripoff.

• beirutbeirut 14 Posts
    Wow very good question! Though I belive DJ Quick could Isolate drums from any Hi Record catalog, in his Magic Studio????
    i'm also curious as to what that's about. how is that possible without the original multi-tracks?

• wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts

HI Rhythm-On The Loose

word, yeah Hi rhythm,----but the Bill Black one I'm talking about is called 'Turn on Your Love Light' and the title track has the break(which sounds kinda trampy too actually), it actually repeats the break 2 more times throughout the song and they are real nice hits.............I was gonna take a photo but my camera batteries are dead..........this is actually a dope record, the rest of the first side is a snoozer but side 2 is quite dope, 2 good cover versions of 'midnight hour' and 'the horse' which has a 4 bar uptempo drum and bass break in the middle of it, plus a REAL nice version of 'shoo be doo da day' and versions of 'philly dog' (don't like) and 'soul serenade' (do like)

Willy Mitchell Live from '77------this has a nice break on "late date" and can be found easily and cheaply---I've doubled this up for B-boys before. The break starts out open and has some 'party people voices' come in, then organ, then the song----it's quite good actually and the track has a real uptempo vibe to it...there's some other cheap funk on it, but that's the play out track for sure.

I'm practicing getting my 'Motown67' on...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I'm practicing getting my 'Motown67' on...

HEY!

But yeah, I was going to mention Bill Black as well.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Willie Mitchell's cover of The Horse has a big wide open braek on it.

Willy Mitchell Live from '77

...is actually a reissue of an album from '67, which is why there's no disco on it! Seriously, when Hi was distributed by Cream in '77, they reissued a lot of older titles with different covers. The newer version with Willie's face on the cover is the one you always see.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

From the archives of the legendary El Paso, Texas ???Suemi??? label

Is this the 'Lou Pride' Suemi label? I suppose it's unlikely that there would be two Suemi labels, but stranger things have happened.

I also remember reading that (Iota) were Memphis cats...

Nope...definitley from Texas.

From the archives of the legendary El Paso, Texas ???Suemi??? label comes this previously unreleased psych masterpiece by IOTA. This 4 piece band tore up Texas before re-locating to Memphis[/b]