sound library & trades?

matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
I'm going to NY next week and was just wondering, would it be worth it to bring some records along to trade for store credit with sound library? or would I be better off putting them shits up on ebay? Nothing to rare just random doubles that I have that are kind of sought after. Also what's their hip hop selection like? I'm mainly looking for old school hip hop circa 79-89 not the common sugar hill, enjoy, cold chilling stuff but the more rare stuff that's poppin up on comps like big apple rappin and what not....... If you from New York stand up RIGHT NOW!

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    you're gonna have to get more specific about which records youre trying to trade/sell on ebay. Just like any shop, seems like TSL trades about 1/2 or maybe a bit more for what they're gonna sell it for.

• you should just call jared at the store and ask for an estimate. he's pretty on the level about these things.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    yeah i gotta second this. I live in boston, but go to TSL when i am nyc to sell records. I feel the most comfortable selling to jared, he is always cool about it. They give a percentage of what they sell for. Straight up, just tells you "I'd sell this for X, so you get Y". Not like some other places that just work out a price for the stack or whatever.

Just make sure the records you bring in are super-clean, and in-demand items. I have brought in some rare items before, but cause not many people know them, he didn't want them (cause they just wouldn't sell well).

-pj

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Just make sure the records you bring in are super-clean, and in-demand items.

Yeah, they're serious about condition and will take a mint copy of a relatively common record over something that's significantly rarer but not as clean.

Just make sure the records you bring in are super-clean, and in-demand items.

Yeah, they're serious about condition and will take a mint copy of a relatively common record over something that's significantly rarer but not as clean.

And hit up GOOD Records, too--Jonny gives trade value that's comparable to, if not better than, TSL.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

And hit up GOOD Records, too--Jonny gives trade value that's comparable to, if not better than, TSL.

just a few blocks away too!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Yeh. I would try both Good and TSL. Last time I was in town, I hit up Jonny first. He's very fair with trades plus I think he has better stock and fairer prices than TSL (for certain stuff). I took the left overs to TSL got great credit and there was nothing I wanted to buy. I ended up giving the credit to Otis Funkmeyer for his birthday. ALSO, do not sleep on A-1. I wrote that place off as DOA for a long time and last visit, I ended up grabbing some nice soul / funk LPs at fair prices and even shot the shit with Amir.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    i wouldn't bother with taking records to trade in nyc...just not worth it. TSL and A-1 are really weird about the records they take...you can bring in records you see them selling for $20 and they don't want them...i guess they have plenty of stock so they don't need them. unless you have really raer joints you know they want (and you don't mind getting less that half of market value on them), just go on vacation and don't worry about lugging records! just my 2 cents.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    It makes a lot of sense that they wouldn't buy records they've already got on the floor - and keep in mind (as mentioned) that they are VERY concerned with condition

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Yeh. I would try both Good and TSL. Last time I was in town, I hit up Jonny first. He's very fair with trades plus I think he has better stock and fairer prices than TSL (for certain stuff). I took the left overs to TSL got great credit and there was nothing I wanted to buy. I ended up giving the credit to Otis Funkmeyer for his birthday. ALSO, do not sleep on A-1. I wrote that place off as DOA for a long time and last visit, I ended up grabbing some nice soul / funk LPs at fair prices and even shot the shit with Amir.

When I visited I somehow didn't even make it to TSL but I hit Good, A-1, and Academy a couple times as I had brought stuff to trade/sell and then found some more to unload. It was a great experience, to find stores that actually care to pay well for funk, soul, hip hop, disco, and rap/hip hop 12"s compared to most SoCal stores (except for my man Dstill808) that don't really deal well with these genres.

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    as mentioned above sound library is definitely serious about condition. but based on my experience if your records are in good shape (and of course depending on what they are) you'll get an honest and fair exchange. but TSL is so expensive that it's only worth the trade if you're looking for wall type shit that's hard to come by anywhere else (and they definitely have that). but i'm guessing that for every 4-5 rares you could get $50-$60 in trade, but then it's like OK, you'll walk out with maybe 2 hard to find records, or one wall piece. again of course it depends on your records, but yeah, keep in mind that $60 in trade won't get you too far. and depends on what you're after. unless you're looking for wall shit that you couldn't afford otherwise (which is definitely a legitimate reason), i'd go with ebay.

i wouldn't bother with taking records to trade in nyc...just not worth it. TSL and A-1 are really weird about the records they take...you can bring in records you see them selling for $20 and they don't want them...i guess they have plenty of stock so they don't need them. unless you have really raer joints you know they want (and you don't mind getting less that half of market value on them), just go on vacation and don't worry about lugging records! just my 2 cents.

C'mon, man--if they sell some schitt for $20, chances are it's pretty common and they've already got a dozen copies downstairs.

I'm saying if you've got stuff that's a little bit tougher than that, and don't want to deal with the hassle of eBay, it's a great way to convert records you don't want into records that you do.

my point is that you can have stuff you think they want, take them with you, lug them around the city and end up getting nothing out of it! might as well just go there to dig. but yes, if you have obvious raers like Kashmere Stage Band and Skullsnaps lps...they will probably take them! but who knows if they will have anything in stock you definitely want.

i wouldn't bother with taking records to trade in nyc...

That was my sentiment for years. Lugging around records in NYC is NOT any fun at all. Last time I was in town for breakface in January, I made it a point to not bring records or buy records. Actually made it past 10 PM without wanting to pass out from exhaustion.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    making the rounds to all the east village shops with a heavy ass bag of records is indeed exhausting. if you're selling, take cabs. it's like $4 from TSL to GOOD.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I dunno - if you're hauling around 40 LPs, yeah, that's bound to suck, but if you hit NY with a select number of high-end trade-ables, maybe 20 or so, that's perfectly managable. The main thing is: you don't bring TSL $20 LPs. You bring your $50-100+ joints.

• roneazyroneazy 111 Posts
    i was in NYC a few weeks ago, and of the 5-6 stores i hit this time around, I definitely found GOOD RECORDS to be the best... Johnny is awesome, and the stock is very good and overall, well priced... though all the shops have something for everyone. Thanks again to Aleit and Johnny for the current downlow on NYC... plus nice meeting Simon and DocBrown, too...

Should be back in the next month or two... stay in touch guys..

RON

• making the rounds to all the east village shops with a heavy ass bag of records is indeed exhausting. if you're selling, take cabs. it's like $4 from TSL to GOOD.

East Village shops are all exceedingly close by NYC standards:
    TSL @ 13th and A
    A-1 @ 6th and A
    Good @ 3rd and A
    ... so you get breaks from the arduous lugging.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    making the rounds to all the east village shops with a heavy ass bag of records is indeed exhausting. if you're selling, take cabs. it's like $4 from TSL to GOOD.

Dood - it's like a 10 minute walk, tops, rekkids or not rekkids.

final verdict: bring a not too heavy stack of $50 to $100 raers (which you will get $10 to $30 on per raer).

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    final verdict: bring a not too heavy stack of $50 to $100 raers (which you will get $10 to $30 on per raer).

minty copies only please.

Johnny is awesome

Thanks again to Aleit and Johnny for the current downlow on NYC

very funny faux!

Johnny is awesome

Thanks again to Aleit and Johnny for the current downlow on NYC

Posted by Ron "Eazy"