16mm Filmstrutters.

silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Hey doods. So I think it is about time to venture into making some short films. Anyone in the know about what kind of Bolex kit I am looking for (lenses, specific models, etc?).I really look at it as the time to buy something like this, as consumer/pro digital stuff is just KILLING the maket value on 35mm and Medium format professional photo stuff, as well as the 16mm film cameras. Ideally I would like to get a rock-solid 16mm (or super?) field camera, with which I could shoot in low light... I can't fathom shooting more than a-minute-or-two scenes at a time. I would like an audio sync if possible is a 400 foot cartridge and battery compartment really nessasary for a beginner filmmaker?). Anyone in the know here? Made some films? shoot for a living?

Comments

• awallawall 673 Posts
    my housemate is a film major and is about to shoot a short thing on 16mm, i was actually just talking to him last night about the difficulty of doing this in the digital age...apparently it much harder to do on a budget these days. our school sold off pretty much all of their non-digital equipment and all they have left is one lone 16mm camera, so he's just going to shoot it on film, do a transfer and then edit it all digitally. i think that chances are unless your have access to a good film lab you'll have to do some sort of film/digital integration. i'm not sure about the specifics of how to go about getting stuff but you might want to try and scoop up equipment from some film deparment that's converting to 100% digital and maybe get a good deal if you get it before they hit ebay.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I am normally a stauch traditionalist, but one of
    my best friends is an amateur filmmaker, and he got
    a good deal on a quality digital movie camera (I think
    around $1200 and it retails closer to $3000) and it
    is so worth it over traditional film. The image quality
    is fantastic and very film-like, and the cost of the camera
    is immediately offset by the money saved on film, processing,
    editing, additional lighting, etc...he's already shot 3 shorts
    with it in the past 6 months (one starring me )
    and they look amazing, as if shot on quality 16mm stock.

I can get the info about his camera model if you are interested,
    I swear film is one area where the benefits of going digital over
    traditional are overwhelming, especially at the amateur level.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I recommend you research the cost of film and developing before you buy any equipment. It can get very expensive. A friend of mine used to shoot shorts back in the day and he ended up pumping at least a couple grand into various dead-end projects. If you don't have that kind of dough to spend, I'd say listen to SoulOnIce and go digital.

• silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
    Hey doods.
    No offence, but I wanna shoot 16mm films, not some digital shorts! Haha.
    I know the price of developing and transfer are high, and am aware of the hidden costs here, but am looking for the specifics on a camera. I have shot with the highest end pro-sumer cameras (Both the Canons and Sonys) and for what I wish to do the aesthetic is just different, especially if you dont have an HD setup for editing. A considerable amount of my freinds last film was 8mm to Final Cut and whoops ass on any of the Digital footage he shot. He did the transfers himself and it still looks better than GL1 into an HD system!

Anyways, back on topic.
    Rex5s or a K3?
    A H16 with standard crartidge?

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

LOL

WE ARE DIGITAL ZOMBIES - - CONVERT!! CONVERT!!

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    Well, I prefer the analog acetate set up to the digital stuff. Reason being, its really not as much fun to cut it all while sitting in front of a computer. The old editing systems are what???s key here.

Of course, it looks like youre foregoing the flatbeds and moviolas and just gonna shoot on film but still cut on computer. That???s no fun.

Anyways, there???s quite a few things you should look into. Type of camera is really of no concern here. First off, make sure youre camera solves the parallax problem. Unless you don???t mind it. Otherwise youll be shooting something slightly different than what youre seeing in the viewfinder.

If youre looking to shoot in low light situations, youll prolly NOT want a bolex or any hand cranked camera. They don???t run that slow and if they do, its not very smooth and your picture will kinda jump. I was using a beaulieu that a friend had converted to run on d-cell batteries, that seemed to work fine. It ran as low as 2 frames/second and the shutter automatically slows to proper speed so you get all these streaks. I think that???s specific to beaulieu, but im not entirely sure.

Crystal sync and all that sync shit. I don???t know, but something tells me this is obsolete. Unless youre using a nagra you don???t really need the sync sound thing. Bust out your ipod, md, whatevers, press record. In the editing room, just eyeball it and get a slate. If youre using mag tape, youre a better man than me. That would imply that you have a serious sound set-up and can splice 1??? mag and sync it to film. I don???t think you have this.

The 400 ft. cartridge is not really necessary. You say youre shooting 1 to 2 minutes at a time. The regular roll of 100 ft. should suffice as those are usually around 3 minutes of roll time.

Don???t know the specifics of model #, but I hope that helps.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Hey doods.

So I think it is about time to venture into making some short films.
    Anyone in the know about what kind of Bolex kit I am looking for (lenses, specific models, etc?).
    I really look at it as the time to buy something like this, as consumer/pro digital stuff is just KILLING the maket value on 35mm and Medium format professional photo stuff, as well as the 16mm film cameras.

Ideally I would like to get a rock-solid 16mm (or super?) field camera, with which I could shoot in low light... I can't fathom shooting more than a-minute-or-two scenes at a time. I would like an audio sync if possible is a 400 foot cartridge and battery compartment really nessasary for a beginner filmmaker?).

Anyone in the know here? Made some films? shoot for a living?

Before you jump into this look into the post-production costs. I dabbled in 16mm and the cost of developing the film exceeds the actual cost of the film. I may be wrong but I think it was like $50 to develope 3 minutes of film. This was black-and-white too and this was back in the mid-90's. Utimately it may be cheaper to get a good digital camera, film in black-and-white and then use some sort of filter in post to add film grain. Equipment may be getting cheaper but I can't imagine post production is.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Anyways, back on topic.
    Rex5s or a K3?
    A H16 with standard crartidge?

I had the K3. It's a wind-up model but is way too loud to record sounds. Still, I had a lot of fun with it and even with no lighting it looked pretty super. I don't think any 16MM camera worth it's beans uses catridges but, again, it's been a while since I did anything with film. I used to hear about Bolex a lot. Look that up.

To jump back into the digital vs. film debate. The end results have a lot to do with the lighting. That's what really makes the difference. Go rent Collateral and see how good video can look. Of course, on the flip side, there's films like Phat Girls which are video-to-film gone bad.