Rap Vinyl Game Over? O'RLY?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
For all the talk about the trade/sale in used hip-hop vinyl being kind of wack...I dunno. Please to esplain:http://search-completed.ebay.com/_W0QQa1...tems&sofocus=soSome crazy prices on there for records I didn't even realize people gave a f--- about.

Comments

• I'm bugging out how much the Rough Drafts EP goes for.

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    huuh,

I just saw that Greg Nice & Smooth B 12" yesterday. I guess I should have picked it up then.

• I think a lot of kids are just mad that the mass-maufactured, albeit good, records they bought in their teens are now worth less than what they paid for them.

This games not that hard to figure out, rare promo only singles with killer mixes not available on the mass manufactured versions and homemade custom press ghetto hip hop from South Bronx, etc.. is gonna go for change, duh..

The rap games doing great, possibly better than the soul/funk game as of late. You just gotta come at it from the right angle.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    You didn't sleep did you? Cuz, you know, sleeping is for suckers.

Is your ebay game on smash these days?

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    sorry, that post was directed at my by P*i*, not you other folks, to avoid confusion.

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    huuh,

I just saw that Greg Nice & Smooth B 12" yesterday. I guess I should have picked it up then.

Oh, there is a reissue of this. It was probably one of those.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I think a lot of kids are just mad that the mass-maufactured, albeit good, records they bought in their teens are now worth less than what they paid for them.

Yeah - I think this is what it is. A lot of Golden Era 12's that used to go for $ (but never $$$$$$$) now are like a dime a dozen. I mean, seriously, what does "The Choice is Yours" 12"? Go for?

That said, the continued high prices for stuff like the Hieros LP surprises me. As does rising interest in "mid 90s random rap" like that Sham and the Professor 12".

I don't know if hiphoptonyd has changed the game, but I feel like he's been gettting crazy top dollar for a ton of shit since he started selling, including for 12"s that a lot of folks would never have thought about being $ items until recently.

I'm not mad or happy at this either way. I got a lot of hip-hop to sell myself so that's a good thing but I also have gaps I'm trying to fill but I'm really not trying to spend $100 to do it (but that applies to every genre practically).

• sorry, that post was directed at my by P*i*, not you other folks, to avoid confusion.

Nah, just buggin', I picked it up when it came out. I know Ik*h has multiple copies of that. Glancing over some of the prices, I might have to put some stuff up on ebay soon.

• we do great with rap, but we maintain our aesthetic from the funk game. indy labels with high quality music is almost always gonna do good for you..

once in awhile one of the 'enterpreneurs' in the 80s/90s sold too much weed, got too cocky and pressed 6000 copies instead of the more normal 1000 and so a few great titles are forever cheap..

learning what major/mid sized label things are ACTUALLY rare is the hard part. you gotta watch what turns up for a few years at least, see what things are in every promo haul you hit and which things arent...

learning what major/mid sized label things are ACTUALLY rare is the hard part. you gotta watch what turns up for a few years at least, see what things are in every promo haul you hit and which things arent...

Just curious - you mind naming a title or two? I'm interested to know what qualifies as "major label raer"

• kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts
    I'm surprised the Juggaknots EP topped $100. I thought the value on this had plummeted after the reissue came out a couple years ago?

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

Just curious - you mind naming a title or two? I'm interested to know what qualifies as "major label raer"

I was thinking about that, too. I know what I've had a hard time locating. 45 king's "Rythmical Madness" was surprisingly hard to find. Ditto for ESP's Valoompadoom Pink. These don't go for $$$, tho.

• learning what major/mid sized label things are ACTUALLY rare is the hard part. you gotta watch what turns up for a few years at least, see what things are in every promo haul you hit and which things arent...

The Double J + Hitman promo LP on Island springs to mind. $100 all day and night.

There's a load of em. Sometimes its just the big label with a promo budget who made some promo rares for big names (Pete Rock, 'creator') but more interestingly its when a big label took a chance on a talented but unknown group that totally flopped and was never released cause the promo got no response from jocks..see double j.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I think a lot of kids are just mad that the mass-maufactured, albeit good, records they bought in their teens are now worth less than what they paid for them.

I don't know if hiphoptonyd has changed the game, but I feel like he's been gettting crazy top dollar for a ton of shit since he started selling, including for 12"s that a lot of folks would never have thought about being $ items until recently.

Keep in mind NOBODY else gets the prices tonyd does... depending on the title it can be far, far less

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    that sham & the professor has to be a "stopncop/pearson" anomaly. Has to, or my world is in disarray, haha.

• i just found hiphoptony d's LP sealed. whats that worth? i thought it was a boner..

• idiotproofidiotproof 880 Posts

The Double J + Hitman promo LP on Island springs to mind. $100 all day and night.

Aw shucks... Never knew this one was on promo vinyl...
    Next you'll tell me there WAS a Funkytown Pros on wax as well.

I got the Double J album on CD & 'Bless the Funk' & the 12" 'Manslaughter/If it Ain't a Caddy'. Which I rate..
    One of the better Flavor Unit people.

the market is crazy. I have mega-indy 90s hip hop (i had a store during that time so access was easy) & someone said a 12" by Sparrow i put on a mixtape was going for $$$. So i randomly checked on eBay last year & i saw that it sold for over $250...
    I had no idea...

• Next you'll tell me there WAS a Funkytown Pros on wax as well.

I'm pretty sure I had that Funkytown Pros on wax, but my memory fades in and out.

Next you'll tell me there WAS a Funkytown Pros on wax as well.

I'm pretty sure I had that Funkytown Pros on wax, but my memory fades in and out.

Yeah, there is. I have the LP plus the two 12"s.