I just got a wedding request list.

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
I weep now. Only one song will make this gig worthwhile.
BABY COME BACK- PLAYERTAKE ON ME ??? AHATRUE ???SPANDAU BALLETWHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN (PRECIOUS MOMENTS) ???THREE DEGREESFERNANDO ??? ABBATAKE A CHANCE ON ME ??? ABBAAFTER THE LOVE IS GONE ??? EARTH, WIND AND FIREALLISON ??? ELVIS COSTELLOBILLIE JEAN ??? MICHAEL JACKSONFLOAT ON ??? MODEST MOUSE BREAKDOWN ??? TOM PETTYNEVER BEEN TO SPAIN ??? THREE DOG NIGHTBEAST OF BURDEN - ROLLING STONESI LOVE YOU ??? THE CLIMAXX BLUES BANDCHINA GIRL ??? DAVID BOWIE YOUNG AMERICANS ??? DAVID BOWIECOME AWAY WITH ME ??? NORAH JONESAIN???T LOVE A KICK IN THE HEAD ??? DEAN MARTINCHEEK TO CHEEK ??? ELLA FITZGERALD AND LOUIS ARMSTRONGLA VIE EN ROSE ??? LOUIS ARMSTRONGLADY ??? LITTLE RIVER BANDHOLD ME NOW ??? THOMPSON TWINSDON???T DREAM ??? CROWDED HOUSEBABYLON ??? DAVID GRAYGROOVE IS IN THE HEART ??? DEE LITEPROMISE ??? WHEN IN ROMEPROMISES ??? ERIC CLAPTONLET ME BLOW YOUR MIND ??? EVE AND GWEN STEPHANIGOT TO GIVE IT UP - MARVIN GAYESARA SMILE ??? HALL AND OATESSHE???S GONE ??? HALL AND OATESRICH GIRL ??? HALL AND OATESBLUE BAYOU ??? LINDA RONSTADTDIFFERENT DRUM ??? LINDA RONSTADTI THINK IT???S GONNA WORK OUT FINE- LINDA RONSTADT & JAMES TAYLORDON???T STOP TILL YOU GET ENOUGH ??? MICHAEL JACKSONMIDNIGHT RIDER ??? ALLMAN BROTHERSNEED YOU TONIGHT ??? INXSNEVER TEAR US APART- INXSSAIL ON ??? COMMODORESSTUMBLING IN- SUZIE QUATROEASY ??? COMMODORES YOU MAKE ME FEEL LIKE DANCING ??? LEO SAYER[/b] IF I CAN???T HAVE YOU ??? BEE GEESNIGHTS OF BROADWAY ??? BEE GEESEMOTION ??? BEE GEESPROMISES ??? NAKED EYEBAKER STREET- GERRY RAFFERTYWHEN THE STARS TURN BLUE ??? THE CORRS & BONOFANCY ??? REBA MCENTIREYOU???LL NEVER FIND ??? LOU RAWLSWHENEVER I CALL YOU FRIEND ??? KENNY LOGGINSCHAPEL OF LOVE ??? BETTE MIDLERINTO THE MYSTIC ??? VAN MORRISONSTUCK ON YOU ??? LIONEL RITCHIEYOU ARE THE WOMAN ??? FIREFALLCHANCES ARE- JOHNNY MATHISI GOT A MAN ??? BILLIE HOLIDAYANYTHING AND EVERYTHING BY STEVIE WONDER GOLDEN LADY- STEVIE WONDERPOLK SALAD ANNIE ??? ELVISSTAGGER LEE ??? LLYOD PRICEDUKE OF EARL ??? GENE CHANDLERHARD HEADED WOMAN ??? CAT STEVENSWHAT A FOOL BELIEVES ??? DOOBIE BROTHERSMERCY, MERCY ME ??? MARVIN GAYETURN OFF THE LIGHTS ??? TEDDY PENDERGRASSMY CHERIE AMORE ??? STEVIE WONDERSHE???S GOT A WAY ??? BILLY JOELSHE???S ALWAYS A WOMAN TO ME ??? BILLY JOELINSPIRATION STATION ??? SHUGIE OTISCLOSE THE DOOR ??? TEDDY PENDERGRASSI WAS MADE TO LOVE HER ??? STEVIE WONDERCOULD THIS BE LOVE ??? BOB MARLEYTURN YOUR LIGHTS DOWN LOW ??? BOB MARLEYACROSS 110TH ST. ??? BOBBY WOMACKGOD BLESSED OUR LOVE ??? AL GREENANY BEACH MUSIC WOULD BE TERRIFIC???..SOME EXAMPLESMYRTLE BEACH DAYSI LOVE BEACH MUSICLITTLE RED BOOKWHAT KIND OF FOOLUNDER THE BOARDWALK???..*****ALSO OUR FIRST DANCE WILL BE TO???.. LET???S STAY TOGETHER ??? AL GREEN*****

Comments

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i could sing most of those songs for a "nominal fee"

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

I might just give you the money to for a plane ticket to come and do just that. Not only would it get me out of having to do the gig, but I'd get to videotape you singing "Stumblin' In" and post it on YouTube.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Why all the hatt?

I'm not mad at these:

I weep now. Only one song will make this gig worthwhile.

BABY COME BACK- PLAYER
    TAKE ON ME ??? AHA
    TRUE ???SPANDAU BALLET
    WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN (PRECIOUS MOMENTS) ???THREE DEGREES
    FERNANDO ??? ABBA
    TAKE A CHANCE ON ME ??? ABBA
    AFTER THE LOVE IS GONE ??? EARTH, WIND AND FIRE
    ALLISON ??? ELVIS COSTELLO
    BILLIE JEAN ??? MICHAEL JACKSON[/b]
    FLOAT ON ??? MODEST MOUSETHE FLOATERS
    BREAKDOWN ??? TOM PETTY
    NEVER BEEN TO SPAIN ??? THREE DOG NIGHT
    BEAST OF BURDEN - ROLLING STONES
    I LOVE YOU ??? THE CLIMAXX BLUES BAND
    CHINA GIRL ??? DAVID BOWIE
    YOUNG AMERICANS ??? DAVID BOWIE
    COME AWAY WITH ME ??? NORAH JONES
    AIN???T LOVE A KICK IN THE HEAD ??? DEAN MARTIN
    CHEEK TO CHEEK ??? ELLA FITZGERALD AND LOUIS ARMSTRONG
    LA VIE EN ROSE ??? LOUIS ARMSTRONG
    LADY ??? LITTLE RIVER BAND
    HOLD ME NOW ??? THOMPSON TWINS
    DON???T DREAM ??? CROWDED HOUSE
    BABYLON ??? DAVID GRAY
    GROOVE IS IN THE HEART ??? DEE LITE[/b]
    PROMISE ??? WHEN IN ROME
    PROMISES ??? ERIC CLAPTON
    LET ME BLOW YOUR MIND ??? EVE AND GWEN STEPHANI
    GOT TO GIVE IT UP - MARVIN GAYE[/b]
    SARA SMILE ??? HALL AND OATES
    SHE???S GONE ??? HALL AND OATES
    RICH GIRL ??? HALL AND OATES
    BLUE BAYOU ??? LINDA RONSTADT
    DIFFERENT DRUM ??? LINDA RONSTADT
    I THINK IT???S GONNA WORK OUT FINE- LINDA RONSTADT & JAMES TAYLOR
    DON???T STOP TILL YOU GET ENOUGH ??? MICHAEL JACKSON[/b]
    MIDNIGHT RIDER ??? ALLMAN BROTHERS
    NEED YOU TONIGHT ??? INXS
    NEVER TEAR US APART- INXS
    SAIL ON ??? COMMODORES
    STUMBLING IN- SUZIE QUATRO
    EASY ??? COMMODORES
    YOU MAKE ME FEEL LIKE DANCING ??? LEO SAYER[/b]
    IF I CAN???T HAVE YOU ??? BEE GEES
    NIGHTS OF BROADWAY ??? BEE GEES
    EMOTION ??? BEE GEES[/b]
    PROMISES ??? NAKED EYE
    BAKER STREET- GERRY RAFFERTY
    WHEN THE STARS TURN BLUE ??? THE CORRS & BONO
    FANCY ??? REBA MCENTIRE
    YOU???LL NEVER FIND ??? LOU RAWLS
    WHENEVER I CALL YOU FRIEND ??? KENNY LOGGINS
    CHAPEL OF LOVE ??? BETTE MIDLER
    INTO THE MYSTIC ??? VAN MORRISON
    STUCK ON YOU ??? LIONEL RITCHIE
    YOU ARE THE WOMAN ??? FIREFALL
    CHANCES ARE- JOHNNY MATHIS
    I GOT A MAN ??? BILLIE HOLIDAY
    ***ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING BY STEVIE WONDER[/b]***
    GOLDEN LADY- STEVIE WONDER
    POLK SALAD ANNIE ??? ELVIS
    STAGGER LEE ??? LLYOD PRICE
    DUKE OF EARL ??? GENE CHANDLER
    HARD HEADED WOMAN ??? CAT STEVENS
    WHAT A FOOL BELIEVES ??? DOOBIE BROTHERS
    MERCY, MERCY ME ??? MARVIN GAYE
    TURN OFF THE LIGHTS ??? TEDDY PENDERGRASS[/b]
    MY CHERIE AMORE ??? STEVIE WONDER
    SHE???S GOT A WAY ??? BILLY JOEL
    SHE???S ALWAYS A WOMAN TO ME ??? BILLY JOEL
    ***INSPIRATION STATION ??? SHUGIE OTIS[/b]***
    CLOSE THE DOOR ??? TEDDY PENDERGRASS
    I WAS MADE TO LOVE HER ??? STEVIE WONDER
    COULD THIS BE LOVE ??? BOB MARLEY
    TURN YOUR LIGHTS DOWN LOW ??? BOB MARLEY[/b]
    ACROSS 110TH ST. ??? BOBBY WOMACK
    GOD BLESSED OUR LOVE ??? AL GREEN

ANY BEACH MUSIC WOULD BE TERRIFIC???..SOME EXAMPLES
    MYRTLE BEACH DAYS
    I LOVE BEACH MUSIC
    LITTLE RED BOOK
    WHAT KIND OF FOOL
    UNDER THE BOARDWALK???..

*****ALSO OUR FIRST DANCE WILL BE TO???.. LET???S STAY TOGETHER ??? AL GREEN*****

The beach music request has me a little concerned however. And anything I didn't bold.

Have fun!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    TAKE ON ME ??? AHA
    TRUE ???SPANDAU BALLET
    WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN (PRECIOUS MOMENTS) ???THREE DEGREES
    COME AWAY WITH ME ??? NORAH JONES
    GROOVE IS IN THE HEART ??? DEE LITE
    EASY ??? COMMODORES
    GOLDEN LADY- STEVIE WONDER
    TURN OFF THE LIGHTS ??? TEDDY PENDERGRASS
    MY CHERIE AMORE ??? STEVIE WONDER
    INSPIRATION STATION ??? SHUGIE OTIS
    CLOSE THE DOOR ??? TEDDY PENDERGRASS
    ACROSS 110TH ST. ??? BOBBY WOMACK
    *****ALSO OUR FIRST DANCE WILL BE TO???.. LET???S STAY TOGETHER ??? AL GREEN*****

that's actually pretty good dude, I could get with that at my wedding.

Obviously there's a few good - some surprisingly so - songs on that list. But a few just confuse me.

"Across 110th St."?
    "She's Gone"?
    "Baby Come Back"?

...at a WEDDING????

TAKE ON ME ??? AHA

Please tell me you left that on the list by accident.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

I might just give you the money to for a plane ticket to come and do just that. Not only would it get me out of having to do the gig, but I'd get to videotape you singing "Stumblin' In" and post it on YouTube.

will the korbel be free? if so i might even throw in some "when i needed you" and some scatalogical vocal stylings of shig.

scatalogical vocal stylings

shitshitskibeebopfuckfuckfuckshitskibeebopfuckyfuckyfuckybitchbitchityrebop

The beach music request has me a little concerned however.

GET FAMILIAR

• idiotproofidiotproof 880 Posts
    So are you well known for playing this stuff eh?

Or will you be utilising your dildo via SLSK connections for thsi gig.

List seems fairly routine for early 40 yr old conservative couple, but whats usually worse is the requests from drunken wedding party people that made me never ever want to do another wedding ever again. And my only one was for 2 genuinely hip people (soul/funk/jazz playlist), but they had the usual belligerent relatives who just made it a very unenjoyable experience for me. Now i can't recall my friends weddding as being something special. Just abuse for apparently having shit taste in music. IE: *ahem* the married couples playlist (which was very tasteful)...

Remind me to take Bonnie Rait, Meatloaf & AC/DC next time.. Oof!

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts

"Baby Got Back"?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    TAKE ON ME ??? AHA

Please tell me you left that on the list by accident.

I think that has more to do w/ my fondness for the bideo than anything. The animation was next level so to speak for 1985....

So are you well known for playing this stuff eh?

Not at all. I don't advertise DJing for weddings, but this will be my fourth one in two months.

In fact, these people hired me because I DJ'd their friends' wedding, where I played well-known but tasteful soul, disco, & beach music for the entire family (first night's reception), and almost all funk 45s (with a live funk cover band) for the bride & groom's friends (second night's party).

Luckily, THAT couple hired me on the basis of my soul/funk club gigs. Dunno what these people were thinking.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Bro, that is a great list as far as weddings are concerned.

i have had the displeasure of playing at 6 weddings (and another this weekend) they were all for friends or relatives and they were all fucking painfull.

my take is that you are essentially playing music for people that dont really listen to music, the only point of referance most of the guests have is the few drunken partys they can remember from their glory years, so thats why the meatloaf gets requested.

i have always found (no matter what the couple tell you in advance) that playing the motown 'usual suspects' supplemented by a bit of Frank, Louis, Ella, et al does the trick for early on in the day (a bit of Jimmy Smith at dinnertime keeps em quiet as well)

and then, the most important thing any wedding DJ needs to know...

whatever they ask you to play they mean disco and 80s.

DJing weddings sucks.

grumblegrumble.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Hey can you accidentally post the time and location of this wedding you will most likely be turntablisming at? Thanks I wanna hear you pull a 2 click chirp flare with your raer copy of Endless Flight. Don't those go for $150+? Damn hommie, baller!

It'll be like....

like..................

WAIT FOR IT......................

"no way man did he just bust a mean orbit over the intro braek? whoa dude, he just did a mash up of those two 80s songs I hear on the local car dealership commercial. UBER! WAYYY!"

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Obviously there's a few good - some surprisingly so - songs on that list. But a few just confuse me.

"Across 110th St."?
    "She's Gone"?
    "Baby Come Back"?

...at a WEDDING????

I am fortunate that I only do weddings where the couple want 60s/70s soul...but it is always a concern to me that most of the most bangin' soul tunes of that era are usually about cheatin' and heartbreak, so I am always on the fence on whether or not the lyric content is appropriate. "Lover and a Friend" is always a good one lyric wise. It also makes me feel weird to see grandma and grandpa gettin down to "Sex Machine"

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    POLK SALAD ANNIE ??? ELVIS

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Midnight Rider...great song. It will give the wedding an outlaw feel i s'pose.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    As someone pointed out, some of those songs are not appropriate for a wedding.

BABY COME BACK- PLAYER
    break up song

TRUE ???SPANDAU BALLET
    break up song

FERNANDO ??? ABBA
    maybe the worst song ever. sorry, i digress

TAKE A CHANCE ON ME ??? ABBA
    take a "chance"...and marry me?

AFTER THE LOVE IS GONE ??? EARTH, WIND AND FIRE
    obviously

ALLISON ??? ELVIS COSTELLO
    hopefully her name is Allison

BREAKDOWN ??? TOM PETTY
    break up song

BEAST OF BURDEN - ROLLING STONES
    so who's not going to do chores?

CHINA GIRL ??? DAVID BOWIE
    hopefully she is Chinese

LA VIE EN ROSE ??? LOUIS ARMSTRONG
    gay. i digress again.

DON???T DREAM ??? CROWDED HOUSE
    break up song

SHE???S GONE ??? HALL AND OATES
    RICH GIRL ??? HALL AND OATES
    what? come on.

I THINK IT???S GONNA WORK OUT FINE- LINDA RONSTADT & JAMES TAYLOR
    i hope so

MIDNIGHT RIDER ??? ALLMAN BROTHERS
    um, basically a song about a player who can't be tied down to no bitch.

IF I CAN???T HAVE YOU ??? BEE GEES
    um, you can have him/her. You're getting married.

PROMISES ??? NAKED EYE
    break up song

WHAT A FOOL BELIEVES ??? DOOBIE BROTHERS
    "As he rises to her apology
    Anybody else would surely know
    He???s watching her go"

you know

COULD THIS BE LOVE ??? BOB MARLEY
    jesus, it better be.

ANY BEACH MUSIC WOULD BE TERRIFIC

I don't get southern white people and their "beach music"?
    It's OK to say soul or R&B.

One time I had a bride select Al Green "Simply Beautiful" for her father daughter dance. It was creepy erotic and people were giving me the roll eyes like I picked it.

ps, though, that's one of the better wedding request lists I've seen.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    keeping it current with David Gray & Modest Mouse...

I think if I heard 'Baker Street' I would fall out of my chair, that shit is too funny.

---

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

WHEN THE STARS TURN BLUE ??? THE CORRS & BONO

That's a cover of "When the stars GO blue" by Ryan Adams, right? My coworker El*onora had that song on winamp repeat for a year. She got all emo everytime. Great ass, too bad I'm retired.

Great ass, too bad I'm retired.

This kind of statement should always include a picture. I'm sorry.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Guilty Pleasure: David Gray's drummer.

Nothing crazy at all, but i do find myself listening intently to what he's doing when i hear him at work or in passing.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    ...and, no hatting on Modest Mouse. Good for them that they had a huge hit. They also put out like 7 other albums before hand, and made some truly GREAT and weird music. Here's hoping they can retire early on the strength of a hit single.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    The first wedding i did was a nightmare the couple getting married came over a week before and went through my collection and picked out and agreed on music for the night. (soul,funk,disco a bit of 80's etc) That was all well and good until their reception and their fucking inbred realtives were hassling me all night to play shit I didn't have (Robbie Williams Kylie Minogue,Status Quo,Elton John etc). The father of the bride came up went through 4-5 crates of my records and drunkely told me he didn't know any of the lps in there. It took alot of restraint for me to not punch someone.
    The couple apologised said they loved the music and paid me and i went home with $400 and had a huge spliff.
    If I do another wedding i would be happy to have a huge list of songs i could download onto a laptop.I would automix their huge playlist have a wireless internet connection to download requests as they come up,get really pissed and get paid. I think for weddings you really have to leave your own tastes at the door a bit and just play the shit they want and have a good time.

Looking at the play list they gave you it could be worse.

If you are single weddings are a good place to pick up as well. (see Wedding Crashers DVD)

As someone pointed out, some of those songs are not appropriate for a wedding.

Ha great comments Fr*nk.

All I can say is

IT'S A CAROLINA THING. YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

All I can say is

IT'S A CAROLINA THING. YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND.

The funny thing is, at least half of the beach music I hear is white dudes either covering or attempting to imitate old R&B... the more modern/synthy versions are absolutely horrendous

But the other half is some good ole Billy Stewart or Sam & Dave or whatever...