Sly Slick & Wicked (L.A.)

jazzman21jazzman21 287 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Not to be confused with the other group with the same name. Anyway was the track "Confessin' a Feeling" just a 45 release or was it on a full lp.

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Its on an lp. My total holy grail. Goes for nearly 400 bucks.

• Its on an lp. My total holy grail. Goes for nearly 400 bucks.

are you sure. I think the group on Ju-par recorded "confessin' a Feeling"

I know it was a bit of a hit in its day. Still gets weekly play on Art Laboe

Pretty sure (although theres always confusion between the 2 groups) I bid on that last copy about 5 or 6 weeks ago, it listed all the songs and confessin a feelin was on there. I think the album is called "get down". Black and white cover, I think Dee Rock has it. Now Dollarbin, wheres that graemlin?!

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts

Pretty sure (although theres always confusion between the 2 groups) I bid on that last copy about 5 or 6 weeks ago, it listed all the songs and confessin a feelin was on there. I think the album is called "get down". Black and white cover, I think Dee Rock has it. Now Dollarbin, wheres that graemlin?!

The album isn't as good as the 45 at all. I think its a live recording from what I remember. The sound quality was shit.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Not to be confused with the other group with the same name. Anyway was the track "Confessin' a Feeling" just a 45 release or was it on a full lp.

More importantly, why do you care about "Confessin' a Feeling" when "Love's Gonna Pack up"' is the flip??

More importantly, why do you care about "Confessin' a Feeling" when "Love's Gonna Pack up"' is the flip??

I like em both equally myself.

Can't remember if I ever got a solid answer to this - is this the same group that did "sho nuff" on People? Such an ill song.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    sly slick & wicked
    confessin a feeling/love gonna pack up (and walk out) bad boys 1001
    tonight's the nite/we're sly slick and wicked bad boys 1006

i know the People and Bad Boys groups are different but what about the ones on Paramount? is that the LA group? same years. i have a book explaining all this but my boy has had it for a few years now and i cant recall the info.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    sly slick & wicked
    confessin a feeling/love gonna pack up (and walk out) bad boys 1001
    tonight's the nite/we're sly slick and wicked bad boys 1006

i know the People and Bad Boys groups are different but what about the ones on Paramount? is that the LA group? same years. i have a book explaining all this but my boy has had it for a few years now and i cant recall the info.

How is Bad Boys 1006? Worth picking up? I seem to remember hearing that the B-side was funk. Is that right?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

And what about the LPs? I know there are at least two different groups here, is it three? Four?

• MrSeanMrSean 57 Posts
    The Sly, Slick & Wicked who recorded 45s on Paramount and People were the same group. They were from Cleveland Ohio. There are some later 45s too and an LP on Motown/JuPar, same group again.

The Bad Boys label Sly, Slick & Wicked were from East Los Angeles. Two 45s on this label and the one LP, is all I know of. Their 45 "Love Gonna Pack" up is a killer and so recommended, the other "Tonight's The Night" is pretty weak in comparison.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    So, I assume "Love's Gonna Pack Up" is a cover of
    the Persuaders song? And could it possibly be a better
    version? I know it's almost taboo around here to say the
    major label/hit version of a song is better than the $XXX
    underground cover, but that Persuaders song is one of my
    favorite soul 45's EVAR.

...or is the Persuaders version a cover of the S,S & W OG?

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    So, I assume "Love's Gonna Pack Up" is a cover of
    the Persuaders song? And could it possibly be a better
    version? I know it's almost taboo around here to say the
    major label/hit version of a song is better than the $XXX
    underground cover, but that Persuaders song is one of my
    favorite soul 45's EVAR.

...or is the Persuaders version a cover of the S,S & W OG?

Its a cover of the Persuaders song. I don't know if its better but it is a lot more raw sounding. I love both versions and actually used the Sly Slick and Wicked version for a German singer name Joy. I heard they did a video for the song. One of the German hommies will have to hook me up with that.

• this thread has left me incredibly confused

The Sly, Slick & Wicked who recorded 45s on Paramount and People were the same group. They were from Cleveland Ohio. There are some later 45s too and an LP on Motown/JuPar, same group again.

The Bad Boys label Sly, Slick & Wicked were from East Los Angeles. Two 45s on this label and the one LP, is all I know of. Their 45 "Love Gonna Pack" up is a killer and so recommended, the other "Tonight's The Night" is pretty weak in comparison.

thank you, this is like the 3rd thread on this subject and I finally get it. Although it's hard to believe they went from "sho nuff" to a tepid disco turd (although that happened to tons of groups between the early to late 70's)

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

From what I've heard the LA Sly, Slick & Wicked were part of that same Chicano music scene that group up in the 60s that gave birth to El Chicano, etc.