RIP H.A.W.K

tiger_blurptiger_blurp 275 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
May 2, 2006, 7:18AMHouston ChronicleHouston rapper 'Big Hawk' found shot to deathBig Hawk, a Houston area rapper, was fatally shot overnight while heading to a friend's house on the city's south side.Jonathan Hawkins was reportedly on his way to a friend's house when he was shot several times near Redfern and East Orem, according to local news reports.Police are still searching for suspects and have not yet determined a motive. Hawkins had recently released a new CD. No further information was immediately available.

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

RIP

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    RIP, that is really sad.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    damn. rip

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    RIP

This is so fucked up.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    Thats horrible. Is anyone that was in the S.U.C. still doing anything? These cats opened the door for Mike Jones, Paul Wall,etc. RIP

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    most notably, keke, lil o, pokey, and zro

• lepoohpoohlepoohpooh 296 Posts
    RIP

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    hawk was fat pat's brother, right? i feel bad for their mother.

r.i.p.

hawk was fat pat's brother, right? i feel bad for their mother.

r.i.p.

yeah.

I had only met Hawk one time, but was definitely down to earth, and seemed like a geniunely good person.

good friend of mine. he will be missed. he just got married two weeks ago. leaves behind two kids(very young) at that and a wife. wrong place at the the wrong time. this cat was so mellow and so peaceful. he never did anything to anybody and would always be down to help someone. R.I.P MY BROTHER

CARLOS

www.THECRAFTBEATS.COM

• tiger_blurptiger_blurp 275 Posts

May 3, 2006, 12:45AM
    Few clues in killing of Houston rapper
    Known as Big Hawk, the hip-hop artist was a mentor to local talent

By KRISTIE RIEKEN
    Associated Press

John Edward Hawkins ??? the Houston rapper known as Big Hawk, a central figure in the city's hip-hop scene ??? was shot and killed near a friend's home in south Houston late Monday night. He was 36.

Hawkins never received the national recognition that Houston hip-hop stars such as Mike Jones, Slim Thug and Chamillionaire did last year. But he was admired and adored as a mentor, collaborator and big brother to local talent from the late DJ Screw to Paul Wall.

Friends and family gathered early Tuesday near his home, about 10 miles north of the crime scene. The narrow, tree-lined street where Hawkins lived is dotted with single-family houses in a neighborhood adjacent to the campus of Texas Southern University. He lived there with his wife, Meshah Henderson Hawkins, and their two young sons.

The violence that is documented in hip-hop's lyrics has brought the premature death of some of the music style's most promising artists, including Tupac Shakur and the Notorious B.I.G. But those close to Big Hawk said he was removed from a gun-glamorizing lifestyle.

"It's got to either be a case of mistaken identity or an attempted robbery by somebody who didn't realize who they were robbing," says Wall. "Hawk was all about positivity and bringing people together.

Bun B. of the Port Arthur duo UGK knew Hawkins since 1994. "There were no chinks in this man's moral armor," he says. "Because he was a rapper there will be people who will take his death the wrong way, but he was a peaceful guy and a family man who had no beefs with anybody."

Hawkins' warm reputation makes his death a difficult mystery to solve.

Police say they have few clues in their investigation.

"This is an incident where you've got a victim shot multiple times, possibly by more than one suspect," said Houston police spokesman John Cannon.

Hawkins was gunned down about 10:45 p.m. when he went to play dominoes at a friend's home in the 12000 block of Redfern in southeast Houston.

His friend wasn't there when Hawkins arrived.

HPD officials said Hawkins went to the side of the house, where he was shot multiple times. The motive for the fatal shooting remains unclear.

"We have no indication that it was a robbery. His vehicle was still at the scene," Cannon said. "Investigators spoke with numerous family members who really couldn't think of anybody who would want to harm or kill him."

Several people in the area told officers they heard several gunshots that night, but detectives haven't found anyone who actually saw the fatal shooting.

"The only thing we have to go on is a witnesses who saw a small, white compact vehicle leaving the area right after the shooting," Cannon said.

The slaying is the second gun-related tragedy to befall the Hawkins family. His brother and Dead End Alliance groupmate Fat Pat (Patrick Hawkins) was shot and killed Feb. 3, 1998.

Hawkins' peers recalled his leadership during a volatile time when Houston's rap scene was divided into two antagonistic factions: Hip-hop pioneer DJ Screw's Screwed Up Click and DJ Michael Watts' Swishahouse crew. Recently, the two communities ended the feud.

Hawk was actively performing and recording prior to his death. He's featured on the new album Restless by rapper Trae (in stores this week), and last week he performed at Club Blue.

Rapper Scooby, 23, of the GRIT Boys, spoke to him recently at MJ Studios.

"My father wasn't around much when I was younger, but Hawk always told us that we were all his little brothers," says Scooby. "There was time when I was getting out of hand and he brought me back down.

"That's who Big Hawk was."

Mike Glenn contributed to this report