Port Authority - S/T

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
did this record really used to go for cash? its crazy how often i see it now! i remember i traded some crap for my first copy and thought i came out the winner (which i did, but i thought i just got some major heat)and, it is a decent record and all, but its crazy how often i find it now...at the moment i think i have 4 or 5 copies, and thats even AFTER giving a few to friends...hell, i found one today.how rare is this supposed to be, and how come ive never seen their other releases?

Comments

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    did this record really used to go for cash? its crazy how often i see it now! i remember i traded some crap for my first copy and thought i came out the winner (which i did, but i thought i just got some major heat)

and, it is a decent record and all, but its crazy how often i find it now...at the moment i think i have 4 or 5 copies, and thats even AFTER giving a few to friends...hell, i found one today.

how rare is this supposed to be, and how come ive never seen their other releases?

this is the one with the head of a guitar on the cover right? does it have a version of super strut? the only lp i have with these guys i found just recently, a ship on the cover, later 70s release, not really that interesting imo... so what albums are good??? ive seen quite a few...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Speaking of The Port Authority Soul Band, check out this Navy recruiting film from the early 70s for which they did the music. Narrated by Lou Rawls.

All Together

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Yeah, the S/T isn't hard to find. I was surprised it got (gets?) $30-40. "Together" is actually pretty rare in comparison, IMO their funkiest.

There are a few other good armed forces albums... some of the "airmen of note" LPs are decent. East of underground of course.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    i found the raer one on my way to austin, flipped it there
    after hearing of this 3 lp navy set for years, was happy to find it for $1
    ez to miss, all the navy bands get a side, including the country band & sea shanty crap
    you have to look on the labels to find the one port authority side
    material not on any of the other lps i've had by them
    super dope funky 4-5 tracker
    i'll find it again

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    sea shanty breaks?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This cooled off. Used to get $75 for it no sweat. Recently got $19 for a sealed copy.

sea shanty breaks?

if only,
    try scary male chorus rocking 19th century stylee

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    i found the raer one on my way to austin, flipped it there
    after hearing of this 3 lp navy set for years, was happy to find it for $1
    ez to miss, all the navy bands get a side, including the country band & sea shanty crap
    you have to look on the labels to find the one port authority side
    material not on any of the other lps i've had by them
    super dope funky 4-5 tracker
    i'll find it again

I just ran across a nice copy of "Together", that was only the second time that's happened to me (outside of record shows). It's a respectable effort and you've got at least 50% of the LP that's consistently bumpable.

I got my copy of the self titled for $1 at a local library sale. I see it now and then at fleas or stores, but usually in rough shape.

Not to blow up someones spot, but this site wants loot for it (150!?!):

http://www.hipwax.com/funk.html

I got my copy of the self titled for $1 at a local library sale. I see it now and then at fleas or stores, but usually in rough shape.

sour tony's site, lots of info, but he'll make you pay
    he hipped me to the 3 lp set ( mutual friend has one)
    but my copy is in columbus ohio now ......

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts

but the also have the Nikki Giovanni record for $40 beans.

If anyone wants to come off an open copy of Together....