JEFF MILLS

schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Saw him at a club on 46th Street. It was so loudtechno

Comments

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    I know no one cares but I had to tell someone that this was so sick
    He played the breakdown part of Back to My Roots over some insane acid house at like +8

Also this was pretty much a rave with a bunch of Euros and 10 dollar gin and tonics

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I don't do much tech or house anymore beyond anything Heard/Parrish/Moodyman related, but I could not pass up an opportunity to see Mills; a legend, always and forever!

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    he was supposed to play at this brooklyn record store called Dope Jamz yesterday...i was there earlier in the day digging but missed his performance...i think they were going to show a dvd then he was going to spin. you are in DC right? what night was he there?

• RonanRonan 86 Posts
    jeff mills is a first class dj, even if u have no interest in techno. technically brilliant & with a great ear for funk. its good when a dj sends u home with an interest in music u wouldn't usually go for.

he was supposed to play at this brooklyn record store called Dope Jamz yesterday...i was there earlier in the day digging but missed his performance...i think they were going to show a dvd then he was going to spin. you are in DC right? what night was he there?

He was at Pascha on 46th Street in New York on Saturday. I live here

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts
    with a great ear for funk.

THE WIZARD!!!!!

he had a hand in Detroit Rap too. Produced songs for Smiley:

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    wait...i have this detroit 12" by Smiley called "Smiley but not Friendly"...is this by Jeff Mills? i have been trying to find out who did if years now! there's no info at all on the 12"...i thought it was basically unknown. it's a dope hip-house tune which loops Evelyn Champaign King "shame".

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I interviewed him a few weeks ago for a Chicago nightlife magazine -- very laid back dude and cool to boot, but the biggest criticism I always here about the guy is that he plays (relatively) the same set at every gig. Without fail, he will play Derrick May's "Strings of Life" and his own classic, "The Bells." But you can say that about a lot of DJs...

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts
    I know Jeff definatly produced "freakout" maybe "Smiley but not friendly" a few other tunes too. Smiley has a radio show in Detroit now.

• yeah, I think Jeff Mills did all the Smiley singles, as well as the album. there's also an album of all the Detroit dudes doing hip-hop beats, but they're not as good (in my view) as the Smiley stuff. is there a 12-inch for 'freak out?'

I interviewed him a few weeks ago for a Chicago nightlife magazine -- very laid back dude and cool to boot, but the biggest criticism I always here about the guy is that he plays (relatively) the same set at every gig. Without fail, he will play Derrick May's "Strings of Life" and his own classic, "The Bells." But you can say that about a lot of DJs...

But he'll play them for 45 seconds each over the course of a six hour set

but the biggest criticism I always here about the guy is that he plays (relatively) the same set at every gig. Without fail, he will play Derrick May's "Strings of Life" and his own classic, "The Bells."

Aw, mayne, those dudes can

I would feel a bit cheated if he didn't rock those tunes. That's on some back to the essence shit right there!

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    Jeff Mills is definitely that dude. Last time I saw him was at whichever DEMF that
    was he played, where he (literally) killed the mixer ~15 min into his set. If you
    can find copies of his old radio productions, they're raw as hell (and mostly
    hiphop, too). I'm definitely a huge fanboy of him. He's got some new project w/ an
    orchestra now that you can find a trailer for on youtube. I still love to put on
    'moving beats' and drive around at 100mph!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Saw him play at the Roskilde Festival in '98.

Hard but funky techno. He was doing some incredible stuff on the turntables.
    I was dancing my drunk ass off.

Fuck categories. Jeff Mills is (still?) killing it.

Jeff Mills is definitely that dude. Last time I saw him was at whichever DEMF that
    was he played, where he (literally) killed the mixer ~15 min into his set. If you
    can find copies of his old radio productions, they're raw as hell (and mostly
    hiphop, too). I'm definitely a huge fanboy of him. He's got some new project w/ an
    orchestra now that you can find a trailer for on youtube. I still love to put on
    'moving beats' and drive around at 100mph!

He arranged The Bells for an orchestra!

• ja_bruceja_bruce 295 Posts
    didn't think i'd see this many responses to a Jeff Mills post. you guys never let me down. anyways here's an old school set by The Wizard from 1986 on WJLB during the Electrifying Mojo years. a nice little peek into back in the day.
    A HREF="http://s64.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2Z3P10X5OZ5W83H2A0EIQ5DQXJ">TheWizard/A>

if you like this i have another one i can post

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    didn't think i'd see this many responses to a Jeff Mills post. you guys never let me down. anyways here's an old school set by The Wizard from 1986 on WJLB during the Electrifying Mojo years. a nice little peek into back in the day.
    A HREF="http://s64.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2Z3P10X5OZ5W83H2A0EIQ5DQXJ">TheWizard/A>

Word, big ups to you and everyone posting in this piece.

JoshD needs to holla at a playa. Or just know I'm coming to visit soon.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    Jeff Mills is an excellent dj indeed.

anyway, as long as I'm in a house/techno thread:
    Here's a nice set by Moodymann on WJLB

looking forward to seeing Daft Punk live this summer as well:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmF6wzQc8Og

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    1000fm and ja_bruce, thanks for links, lovin' it. DL'ing the Moodymann set now. He's one of my alltime favorites. Saw him play around 3-4 years ago with Theo Parrish, Marsellus Pittman and Rick Wilhite. OFF THE CHAIN! One of the most smoked-out house/disco/soul sets I have ever witnessed.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Here's that interview I did last month:

It???s been more than 10 years since you released ???The Bells.??? You originally pressed the track on a copper plate and carried that around for two years before officially releasing it. Now you say it???s the most-played techno track in history; that it takes exactly .39 seconds for the audience to react to the record. How did you get that information?

Jeff Mills: Well, from playing it. From the point that I begin to mix it in to the point where people begin to recognize what it really is -- they react because they know what???s coming. It???s like clockwork. It happens every time. It???s probably the most-played record, too. Because we actually run the label, we know that this has sold incessantly for 10 years. On average, we sell about 200 copies a month. It???s the most-selling record we have in our catalog (of about 70 other releases). I play it basically every night -- every time I???ve ever played for the past 10 years. Even I???ve become conditioned to play it.

You???ve said that most modern techno records aren???t worth listening to beyond half a minute. Why?

Techno music left the song-orientated structure and went to a more minimal type of form, meaning that it repeats itself over and over again. So generally, what you hear in the first two minutes of a record is what you hear in the last two minutes of a record. So, in one way, because it???s so minimal it allows you to be more creative; but in another way, if you just allow the record to play, some people might think that you???re playing the same thing over and over again.

You re-scored Fritz Lang???s Metropolis and comedian Buster Keaton???s Three Ages (M2K Music) and have also contributed music to Clare Denis??? 2002 film Friday Night. If you could work with another contemporary film director, who would you choose?

Oliver Stone would be one. He???s not really known for science fiction but his view on storytelling is quite interesting. Steven Spielberg, of course. Any sci-fi project would be great. The Clare Denis film was actually a French love story. It was really interesting to write music for. I don???t want to focus solely in the direction of science fiction. It can really be with anyone who has a great idea.

You neither drink nor smoke?

I made it a very strong point to stay away. I wanted to DJ as long as I wanted to, so I never started to smoke or drink excessively, or even party excessively. When I began to DJ full-time, I began to ease off on going out and partying so I could never get burned out on the idea.

So what???s your vice?

I really don???t have any. Cars, maybe. I???m obsessed. I???m from Detroit. You grow up with those things.

Do you drive a Ford?

No. A Porsche 911.

Your gig April 28 is billed as a ???classics??? event. Should we expect your 2004 release, Choice: A Collection of Classics (Azuli Records), in which you mixed disco along with early house and techno?

Older classics in general. Typically, it???s a techno set. (SummerDance) was the first time I went back and played house music and some disco. But maybe I can go back even further at this event. The cool thing is that it???s here in Chicago; I can bring a lot of music. That???s the advantage of having something so close to home.

SICK thank you for the mixes

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts

You are really really that dude for posting this.

Do you have any Mojo shows?

Nice interview as well

• ja_bruceja_bruce 295 Posts
    i wish i had some Mojo shows, have never been able to find any.
    anyways, heres part 1 to the mix posted earlier. Another one from 86
    A HREF="http://rapidshare.de/files/19382092/Jeff_mills-The_wizard_85-86a.mp3.html">Wizard2/A>

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts
    i wish i had some Mojo shows, have never been able to find any.
    anyways, heres part 1 to the mix posted earlier. Another one from 86
    A HREF="http://rapidshare.de/files/19382092/Jeff_mills-The_wizard_85-86a.mp3.html">Wizard2/A>

WOW-Wa-WEE-Wa

"Real Love" in the intro into "push the button". It's a beutiful day in Detroit, you just provided the perfect soundtrack!!!

• Options
    The "Kat Moda" ep is the sickest Mills record, packing both "The Bells" and "Alarms". Easily one of the best djs I've ever seen, I'm glad he got over his distaste for playing in NYC that he had a few years back.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    He is about the only I really pay attention to in techno anymore---really dig Metropolis and Time Machine. And of course these early wizard sets. But, also Live at the Liquid Room.

• RustyBRustyB 223 Posts
    yeah, I think Jeff Mills did all the Smiley singles, as well as the album. there's also an album of all the Detroit dudes doing hip-hop beats, but they're not as good (in my view) as the Smiley stuff. is there a 12-inch for 'freak out?'

Yes they did release a 12-inch for "freak-out".. Found mine in da dollar bin.

Ooohhyeaaa, I did pick up a Mr. Fingers 12" of "A Path" with an acapella on it this weekend in Chicago. I can't wait to mess around with that!