RIP DJ DUSK

dayday 9,612 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I don't know the details, but DJ Dusk from The Rootdown passed away a few hours ago.RIP to one cool ass dude. I can't believe this shit.

Comments

• brodambrodam 46 Posts
    RIP

• I don't know the details, but DJ Dusk from The Rootdown passed away a few hours ago.

RIP to one cool ass dude.

I can't believe this shit.

are you serious, man what the fuck.

I hope this ain't true.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I just got off the phone with 2 people who know what happened and apparently he was hit by a car and killed instantly.

I don't even know what to say.

• my thoughts go out to his family, friends and fans.

The rootdown was/ is a an amazing event and I feel fortunate to have had a chence to see him as much as I did. This man was a local legend.

God bless his soul.

• magpiemagpie 160 Posts
    f*ck

• Oh shit. Sorry to hear this news. Some b-boy mates saw him play a few years back at one of the summits/& rootdown & said he rocked it & was a top bloke as well.

I have 2 of his mix CDs. Both essential.
    Man, not cool. Another sad day...

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Never met dude, but I know his name and I know he's been puttin' it down for ages.

REST IN POWER.

Herm

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Damn... this has been a terrible year for deaths in the hip-hop community... I've heard of DJ Dusk before and known of his contributions, I think I might have met him briefly in Frisco too... but I've heard people say many good things about his work. This is really sad. My thoughts go out to his family and people.

R.I.P. DJ Dusk.

peace.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

RIP DJ DUSK

• wescoasiawescoasia 126 Posts
    I moved to Southern Cali in 2001 and started going to the Root Down at Gabah on Melrose Ave every week for almost 2 years straight. For those who don't know, it was THE hot spot for hip-hop/soul/funk/turntablist music in Los Angeles, as far as I'm concerned. Back then the residents were Dusk, Miles Tackett, Egon, Wyatt Case, and Mixmaster Wolf. That lineup came widdit every week and put me up on so many records, classics and raers alike. It was here that I witnessed those soundclash battles- Cut Chemist v. Madlib and Thes One v. Will.I.Am, with their own equipment from home, banging out beats live on stage. Also, the famous MPC routine by Shadow, Cut, and Numark was also first performed here. Throughout it all, it was always Dusk on the mic hosting the show. He had a distinct and unforgettable voice. In between giving shout outs, telling jokes, and keeping the crowd involved, he loved to drop knowledge on hip hop, LA's own hip hop history, roots culture, the breaks, and often rant about how fucked up our government and Bush's regime is. He was also known for playing a salsa or latin set in between the other music. The Root Down was never the same for me post-Gabah, but Dusk was still doing it every week. Of course, he was skilled on the cut, too. He was pretty versatile genre-wise and I believe he was a teacher for the DJ/Turntablism class at UCLA for a while. He also produced a real dope roots/dub mix CD a few years back entitled "Top Ranking". This is truly sad for me and I'll never forget Dusk, those Root Down days, and the times he let me hang out on stage to snap photos of various DJs. Rest In Peace Dusk.

Here's a photo I took of Dusk in 2002.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    was he the one who was featured on the breakestra 12"? damn, R.I.P Dj Dusk!

• Damn, damn, damn. Rest in Piece.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    this is terrible, car accidents are always so surprising, and final. No chance to say goodbye, and often a life cut down way before it should have been.

rip.......

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    sad news indeed. RIP to a great DJ.

• Condolences to his family, friends and all the people who knew of him. Never knew him myself, but I always heard good things, and he was an institution. RIP for real.

• Options
    Condolences to his family, friends and especially Miles who I'v etalked with over the years.

K in Canada.

• Nice write-up Wescosia.

Shit I just realised. DJ Leacy was also killed in the same unfortunate way..

Naturally I wanted to find out more about Dusk...

DJ Dusk ( Prima Lux / Rootdown )
    DJ Dusk, the hometown hero... A long-standing member of the world famous Root Down Sound System and Descarga Familia, Dusk swiftly shifts gears from soul to disco to reggae to latin to hip hop and house. As a student of the late Rob One (RIP)[/b], Dusk spent his early years diggin' in the crates with some of LA's finest, including Cut Chemist and Marvelous Marvski. The soul controller and host with the most, Dusk is the certified sureshot to get any spot rockin'.

That was eerie, but this is even more eerie... http://www.myspace.com/10085509

It's kind of strange to feel a loss for someone that one has never met, but I think it's the brotherhood of likemindedness that can affect ones emotions so. I just hope everyone who knew him cope okay through this...

• sad news to hear...

Rest In Peace

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Are you fucking kidding me? This is so fucked. RIP my fallen brother.

Back in '94 we were in a crew called MB in Santa Cruz. Me "taza", Sake, Dusk, Eko, & Magi. what a loss. I can't believe I never connected with him since I got back to LA. I'm in shock.

Dude is one of the coolest cats i ever met.

RIP Tarek.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    jesus. that's so fucked. I was playing with another rootdown related dude last night (Center), and just saw this. Drez stay up, I'll holler in a few.

RIP dusk.

• This is awful. Why so much bad news this year?
    Rest in Peace DJ Dusk.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Nice write-up Wescosia.

Got to see him spin a bunch of times in L.A. So sad. My thoughts go out to all those who were close to him. R.I.P.

• Very sad news indeed, this man was and will continue to be a los angeles legend... REST IN POWER DJ DUSK!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Damn. I met him and miles 2 winters ago. we had a blizzard, and those dudes were all bugged out to see snow. Dusk was a cool ass dude. I did'nt get up w/ him while i was out there last, and I really regret it now.

Rest in Peace.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I'm so sorry to hear this. I didn't know him personally but living in LA I've heard his name a million times and I have a lot of homies who know him. I know he'll be missed terribly.

Rest In Peace Dusk

• I only met homie a few times but he was always super cool. Condolences to freiends and family alike.
    Sad News.
    RIP.

• Options
    Damn. I met him and miles 2 winters ago. we had a blizzard, and those dudes were all bugged out to see snow.

RIIIIIGHT, wasn't that at Triple Crown when M.Africa was in town? I was there with you that night, but didn't stay long enough to get to meet them.

FirmerolaDrez, I'm deeply sorry for the loss of your friend. It's one thing to meet someone once or twice, or to know of their music or to see them play or something like that. It's a whole other ballgame to be tight with him like you were, and my thoughts genuinely go out to you today. I'm on my way to the cemetary to visit my brother and spread some seashells and ocean water on his grave, I'll have a fatcap and some quarters with me to bury there too and tell him to look out for your boy.

Keep your head up.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    RIP this is the worst news. We heard about it at 3AM last night. Condolences to his family and friends. I had met him on a few occasions here in LA and he was one of the most down to earth people I have ever met. He deserved to do big things, this is gonna be a hard one for LA...

• damn, reading all these posts makes me wish i'd known him.

r.i.p.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I have a few good Dusk stories.

If you are supporting the marchers, think of him. I'm pretty sure he'd be out there tomorrow. Back in 94, the day after Prop. 187 passed, we rallied a few hundred people together and marched onto the freeway. that was my idea BTW. They wanted to block off UCSC campus, and I was like, that's gonna make waves[/sarcasm] I said, lets march through town, collecting people, and head straight up the freeway. Disrupt some shit. So we did.

When we were on the freeway, the first Sheriff on the scene says he's gonna start arresting people. He grabs my friend Maria when, immediately, DUSK jumps between them and pushes the cop back. He actually pushed this sheriff in the chest, making him fall back a few feet, yelling in his face. The pig retreated and called for back up. In the mean time, Ingred got on the cops megaphone to give speeches and get chants going. It was too classic.

I'll never forget how down Dusk is for his people. A real kind and inspirational human being ready to fight cops for you if need be.

Rest In Peace M[/b]oving B[/b]eyond