Pro tools are rewire?

matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
so I want pro tools, but don't want to plop a grand down for a digi 002. I have some questions about using rewire.Here's what I already own Presonus firepod 8 in firewire box Ableton live Cakewalk sonarNow, through rewire, can i record from the 8 out's of my sampler into the 8 in's on my firepod using Live or sonar, and then flip them using rewire into 8 separate tracks in protools le?If so I'm sold... pro tools m powered here i come!

Comments

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Did I miss the part where you mentioned the approved piece of m-audio gear you intend on using, cause pro tools always requires some kind of hardware, either digi or m-audio. part of the dastardley digidesign's evil genius plan, mbox is 500 dollar dongle, but theres cheaper stuff from m-audio...

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    um, yeah. this is kind of a confusing post.

what exactly do you wish to gain from using pro tools? you already have live and sonar, are you not happy with them? my advice would be to stick with what you got, unless you are really unhappy. live is a great little sequencer, and you should have no problem recording 8 channels of audio into it. i dont have any experience with sonar, but i would imagine it can do pretty much the same things pro tools does.

but to answer what i think is your question, yes you can record tracks into live and play them in pro tools using rewire. you must have a piece of digidesign or m-audio hardware though, as mentioned above.

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    Sorry forgot to mention that I have an M-Audio moblepre that gathering dust...
    the main thing I want to acheive by getting pro tools is the ablity to save a session and take that to another studio for mixing/mastering/laying vocals etc..
    So i won't have to take any gear with me to the studio. That's pretty much it, I won't be recording into pro tools itself because I'm not going to use the shitty ass m-audio moblepre joint. I'm gonna use the firepod and record into live or sonar. Then want to be able to flip the tracks over to pro tools using rewire.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    does sonar not export to OMF files? i'm pretty sure it can. what that does is allow you to export your session(from cubase) into a file format that pro tools can read. that way you pretty much open up a pro tools session and import the file and it should look like your sonar project, only in pro tools.

another work around, if you cant export OMF files, is to bounce down each track as an idividual file, all starting from the exact same point. this is basically what you would be doing anyway if you are going to be rewiring the tracks from live.

i'm just trying to save you some money. ~$300 is a lot to spend just to be able to take a session up to another studio.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    buy a first generation m-box...that might be the cheapest way to get pro-tools LE.

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    pro tools always requires some kind of hardware, either digi or m-audio. part of the dastardley digidesign's evil genius plan, mbox is 500 dollar dongle,

yeah that's why if I don't have to get pro tools, I won't. Thanks for clearing that up you guys. I guess I'd be better off investing that pro tools money into a high end audio interface.....thanks again guys.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

the main thing I want to acheive by getting pro tools is the ablity to save a session and take that to another studio for mixing/mastering/laying vocals etc..
    So i won't have to take any gear with me to the studio. That's pretty much it, I won't be recording into pro tools itself because I'm not going to use the shitty ass m-audio moblepre joint.

eff omf and digidesign. its only really worked when going between certain programs and protools with me.

if you really wanna do a fail safe, bounce each track from the top (or put a click on the first bar of each track). its a process, but if you know thats what you need to do before you hit the studio your paying, it doesnt take as long as it seems... (is there an export each track as an audio file option in live or sonar?)