bush not down with spanish national anthem

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

If you do not understand the importance of a strong national identity in ensuring social harmony, let alone the obvious practical benefits of speaking the language of the country in which you reside, then I havent got anything more to say to you.

Beautiful.

May we treat the part about having nothing more to say to anyone that doesn't share your view on this "issue" as a promise?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    There are practical reasons to have one standardized language.

Last week we had a police officer go on trial for hitting a Mexican national who failed to do as the officer had instructed because he did not understand English.

And I'm certain if I was in a foriegn country and did not comply to a Police Officers commands there would be a similar problem as well.

We can demand that all public servants be bi-lingual but where does it end?? Should they learn 14 dialects of Mandarin too???

In New Zealand you can not become a citizen unless you speak English and I don't hear anyone yelling discrimination there.

I think it makes sense that when you move to a country you should be expected to conform to that country's ways of life, not the other way around.

Now if Mexico wants to declare war, kick our ass and take over, THEN we should all be expected to speak spanish.

Until then I support one language in the U.S.....the one that's been spoken since the country was formed.....English.

Every other ethnic group that has come to America has been able to learn English...it can't be that hard.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Last week we had a police officer go on trial for hitting a Mexican national who failed to do as the officer had instructed because he did not understand English.

And I'm certain if I was in a foriegn country and did not comply to a Police Officers commands there would be a similar problem as well.

We can demand that all public servants be bi-lingual but where does it end?? Should they learn 14 dialects of Mandarin too???

In New Zealand you can not become a citizen unless you speak English and I don't hear anyone yelling discrimination there.

I think it makes sense that when you move to a country you should be expected to conform to that country's ways of life, not the other way around.

Now if Mexico wants to declare war, kick our ass and take over, THEN we should all be expected to speak spanish.

Until then I support one language in the U.S.....the one that's been spoken since the country was formed.....English.

Every other ethnic group that has come to America has been able to learn English...it can't be that hard.

Jeezus, dude. I wouldn't even know where to start on this. Fortunately--since it doesn't relate in any way to the issue of singing the national anthem in languages other than English--it won't be necessary to find a starting point.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Worst post of the day.

Jeezus, dude. I wouldn't even know where to start on this. Fortunately--since it doesn't relate in any way to the issue of singing the national anthem in languages other than English--it won't be necessary to find a starting point.

That's probably a good thing....thanks.

Worst post of the day.

The compliments are just pouring in....thanks.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Until then I support one language in the U.S.....the one that's been spoken since the country was formed as a result of the extermination of millions of native americans who spoke a multitude of different languages, just as complex and poetic as english

you are a fucking walking billboard for manifest destiny.

are you Toby Keith?

Until then I support one language in the U.S.....the one that's been spoken since the country was formed as a result of the extermination of millions of native americans who spoke a multitude of different languages, just as complex and poetic as english

are you Toby Keith?

I'm just living in the present....thank you

• the lines of communication need to be made clear, if anything I thnk it should be manditory that school children learn both English and spanish, fuck this elective bullshit.

California voted in a propositon that effectively ended our English as a second language classrooms, from the reports I read this was actually widely praised in the spanish speaking community cause it forced the kids to interact and learn alongside everyone else.

I know I'm on the right track when Faux, cashless and the usual suspects attack my posts....this is a great measuring stick and I thank you all.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

yes, the three spanish immigrants in new zealand are quite content.

right, just like the pilgrims.

exactly. nobody has spoken any other language in america since it was formed, all the previous immigrants learned english on the boat/plane ride over.

forreal. i just learned chinese while taking a dump.

• I know I'm on the right track when Faux, cashless and the usual suspects attack my posts....this is a great measuring stick and I thank you all.

[reverse psychology]Well, Rich I for one am in total agreement with everything you said. [/reverse psychology]

the lines of communication need to be made clear, if anything I thnk it should be manditory that school children learn both English and spanish, fuck this elective bullshit.

Agreed. There's a problem in America with people like Rockadelic. They think that even a mere appreciation and mutual respect for other cultures somehow degrades their own.

I know I'm on the right track when Faux, cashless and the usual suspects attack my posts....this is a great measuring stick and I thank you all.

[reverse psychology]Well, Rich I for one am in total agreement with everything you said. [/reverse psychology]

[fake sincerity] Thanks....That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy [/fake sincerity]

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

are you Toby Keith?

so you are Toby Keith???

and no, you are not living in the present. because presently there are more non-english speakers living in the US than ever before.

what you fail to realize is that america's success in the world is based on its ability to accept change (albeit it seems like we are not doing such a good job anymore). by homogenizing ourselves we are painting ourselves into a corner as a country that cannot adapt to globalization, i.e. the future.

building fences and becoming homogeneous is not the answer.

it's a shame you don't see that. you will be left behind.

the lines of communication need to be made clear, if anything I thnk it should be manditory that school children learn both English and spanish, fuck this elective bullshit.

Agreed. There's a problem in America with people like Rockadelic. They think that even a mere appreciation and mutual respect for other cultures somehow degrades their own.

I don't see how my post was disrespeectful in any way....please point out how it was....I simply said there were practical reasons for us to all speak one language in the U.S.

My ancestors and many other ethnic groups had to learn english to survive in this country. What is different today that should change this??

I don't see why anyone has a problem with having a standardized language...who does that disrespect???

As far as spanish speaking people wanting to sing a spanish version of the National Anthem I say go for it.

So, on the inverse, having Sabadababa co-sign your posts is also a "great mesuring stick"?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I don't believe this has so much to do with spanish as a language, but more to do with an underlining issue of Mexico.

When a portion of Americans see others trying to raise Mexican flags along with or even switching flags, ur gonna get some pretty pissed off people. The radio anthem point is just blah blah blah...

Just because there are a huge amount of Canadians in the US and we do a billion dollars worth of trade every day, doesn't mean speaking french should be an issue.

PS- Missbassie, I don't mind our anthem in both french & english. I just find it's craptacular when sang half & half.

I don't see how my post was disrespeectful in any way....please point out how it was....I simply said there were practical reasons for us to all speak one language in the U.S.

My ancestors and many other ethnic groups had to learn english to survive in this country. What is different today that should change this??

I don't see why anyone has a problem with having a standardized language...who does that disrespect???

As far as spanish speaking people wanting to sing a spanish version of the National Anthem I say go for it.

RIF

I didn't say anything about you or your posts per se. I also didn't say anything about disrespect. argh.

So if there are practical reasons for us to speak one language here in America, why can't that language be Spanish? I'm all for it.

are you Toby Keith?

so you are Toby Keith???

and no, you are not living in the present. because presently there are more non-english speakers living in the US than ever before.

what you fail to realize is that america's success in the world is based on its ability to accept change (albeit it seems like we are not doing such a good job anymore). by homogenizing ourselves we are painting ourselves into a corner as a country that cannot adapt to globalization, i.e. the future.

building fences and becoming homogeneous is not the answer.

it's a shame you don't see that. you will be left behind.

OK...I am Toby Keith....and I'm so old I will be dead before I'm left behind.

America has ALWAYS been the melting pot.

I grew up in NYC, the largest melting pot in the world.

And every ethnic group that came here brought a part of their culture and it all evolved into American culture...and it continues to evolve.

But the language has stayed constant and I've yet to hear a compelling argument as to why that should change.

If any of you have a good argument instead of crude peanut gallery comments I'm all ears.

So stop hatting on me and Toby for a few minutes and explain why after 230 years it's no longer a good idea for the new residents of the country to learn and speak english in their everyday life.

RIF

I didn't say anything about you or your posts per se. I also didn't say anything about disrespect. argh.

So if there are practical reasons for us to speak one language here in America, why can't that language be Spanish? I'm all for it.

Did I read somewhere you were a lawyer???

If the American people vote and decide Swahili should be the language we all speak I'mm all for it too.

RIF

Did I read somewhere you were a lawyer???

If the American people vote and decide Swahili should be the language we all speak I'mm all for it too.

You are confusing me with someone else.

So stop hatting on me and Toby for a few minutes and explain why after 230 years it's no longer a good idea for the new residents of the country to learn and speak english in their everyday life.

You do know that in "early america" there were MANY different languages spoken and the only reason that Americans had to adapt to the English language was due to English mandate under colony law.

It was bullshit then, and it's just as bullshit now.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Maybe you should be asking why shouldn't it be just English? Maybe we should do a pro's & Con's list...

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    Ha! Welcome to life in Quebec!

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    so stop hatting on me and Toby for a few minutes and explain why after 230 years it's no longer a good idea for the new residents of the country to learn and speak english in their everyday life.

dude, i can go back an re-read this thread, but i don't recall anyone saying that learning English for new immigrants would not be beneficial. we all know that english is the de facto language of the US, so it's in every persons benefit to learn english.

but the idea of subscribing to one language is short sighted. the world is not going in that direction. we are becoming more involved on a daily basis with others from different countries and cultures. i totally subscribe to the idea that our country's future success or failures will be related to how well we deal with other nations and countries. we can no longer live within our own borders and expect to thrive as a nation. those days are done.

my beef with the "national" language idea is that it thrives on protectionist fears and propaganda. the idea that we are somehow "less american" becuase we speak different languages is a farse. many europeans speak different languages becuase they know if they want to succeed in business or social circles it's in their best interest to learn other languages. but here in the US we relegate this to merely a scholastic interest (oh, should i take latin or french) and not the reality that we will NEED to learn other languages.

• Did I read somewhere you were a lawyer???

You are confusing me with someone else.

All you people look alike.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I think all americans should be required to learn spanish.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

nobody said its not "a good idea". that isn't the issue. bush came out and said he opposed a spanish version of the national anthem and that immigrants "ought to learn the english national anthem." translation: a song praising america, but sung in spanish, is not worth supporting and you can only be patriotic if you sing the english version.

you can debate my translation but trust me, that statement was a premeditated message straight from Karl Rove, and he said it to send a message to his disgruntled right wingers that, although he supported a guest-workers visa, don't worry, he still hates mexicans.

there was no need for him to make that statement. he sounds like an ignorant asshole, not a compassionate president. furthermore, with a war in iraq, genocide in darfur, and a us economy in shambles, he should have more important shit to worry about. i wonder what he thinks about the simpson-lachey break-up?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I think all americans should be required to learn spanish.

ABSO-FUCKING-LUTELY.

Americans are the only group of people the majority of which do not own passports or speak a second language (unless that second language happens to be English). It is shameful.

If you do not have to interact in Spanish on a daily basis you probably live in a secluded area with no industry or diversity.

I wish I knew Spanish (beyond basic "give directions", "yes or no", and "curse words"). It would be helpful.

Rockadelic, records have been tracked by people who knew Spanish, where people who didn't were not able to find the people. So it has applications specifically to what you do.

My .02