Record store back room/basement

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited December 2015 in Record Collecting
Supreme and I were talking about crazy record store owners, that means ALL of them, and we got onto a funny subject. Why does almost every damn record store have a back room or basement with LOTS more records, but the dudes are MAD funny about letting you in there. "Oh I've got a lot more records in the back, but you can't go back there and look." Motherfucker why not!? You are in the business of SELLING records right? The secret basement is the other funny one. "Yo son, there is like crazy records in the basement of that shop but you gotta know the owner real well or you can't look down there." I think some of these record store owners just want to hoard records so they can be funny about the back room and the basement. "Oh, I have to go through them and price them first." Fool I got cash money NOW, what's really good? These guys act like you have to have government security clearance to look in the basement! LOL. If I had a record store and you got cash? SHIT, Plaese foll. You can look in the basement, the backroom, on the roof, in the bathroom, in my car, the spot where I eat lunch, any place you want. Find a record you like? Bring it to the counter with some money and we'll work out a price. Yadadamean? Plaese to post ALL funny record store backroom and basement stories in this thread.Thank you and have a nice Friday!
kicks79

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    We've got a notorious local dealer here who's been talking up the thousands of records he's got at home for over 10 years now. Dude lives with his mom and she's real funny, won't even let folks call the house. So basically he's always talking about all the crazy stuff he's got but nobody's ever seen it... I used to try to talk him into letting me check some out but no go

And when he DOES actually bring some stuff out 'from the house'??

VG- King Crimson and AC/DC.........

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Waving hundreds in dudes' faces changes their minds real quicklike.

LOL... I actually had a dude tell me one time, after a little badgering, that if I waved some hundreds under his nose I could see the backroom!

Unfortunately I don't ever have hundreds in my wallet

Not-at-all-a-

This also works at shows. Some dealers keep private wine stock hidden from view at shows and you gotta whip it out and pay to play

• Options

K: Well if you ever find those records for me here's my card (wad of a couple grand accidentally falls from my pocket)

Owner: Wait a minute, I think I know...

It's worked about 10 times now.

K in Canada.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    "You'll need to spend about a thousand before I let you in the back"...Yeah, aight buddy.
    When I was younger I was intrigued by the mythical back room/basement full-o-records bullshit but now I know through experience 90% of the time its piles of bad 70's & 80's rock.

When I was younger I was intrigued by the mythical back room/basement full-o-records bullshit but now I know through experience 90% of the time its piles of bad 70's & 80's rock.

This is key too. Why wouldn't a dude keep his best selling stock up front? The only time this isn't a good rule of thumb is rockist dudes who think R&B or hip hop is trash and leave them in huge piles in some backroom. That's when things can get

Hey K, I'll have to try the grand trick sometime, thanks.

Sometimes a dealer's primo collectors items are fucking Carpenters and Four Seasons LPs, and all the soul is in the dime box

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I'm thinking it's sometimes done to save stock. Maybe all that shit is suppose to cover him for the whole year. Selling it off or letting people pick it maybe will screw you over in the end.

This way, when people are showing up each week, it's not the same shit every week.

I'd do the same shit if I could. Once a week, bring up a crate or two.

Chan, I'm posting pics sometime soon. My friend just openned another shop with the craziest shit (With ur basement & backroom deal in mind).

Like another good friend of mine said when seeing it (Toronto peeps know him as S.O.S.) "It's sensory overload".

But no crazy deals really to be had. Dude knows his shit and gets his money. But, it's just kewl to see. And if you got the money, he's got the records.

Chan.. When you coming here f00l??? Aser said he would treat us all for dinners!!

HA!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Aser said he would treat us all for dinners!!

HA!

Will Tyra be invited????

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Aser said he would treat us all for dinners!!

HA!

Will Tyra be invited????

She should be! Hey, with Aser paying. Everyone is!!!

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    One place said he'd let me check out the basement but first told me "The Beastie Boys were in there last week so a lot of the good stuff has been cleaned out"!!!!!!!!

The crazy thing is I still found a lot of good Jazz and Soul so I can only imagine what the Beasties walked off with. He said they cleaned out most of his South/Central American stuff and European stuff.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Chan.. When you coming here f00l??? Aser said he would treat us all for dinners!!

HA!

Maybe this summer! I have not been to Toronto for quite some time. I love Toronto! Wifey would like all the shopping. Sometime when we are in New York we'll fly up there for a few days. Dinner with that foll Aser is a MUST! We would shut down the restaurant son! Hope to see you guys soon.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    "You'll need to spend about a thousand before I let you in the back"...Yeah, aight buddy.

This is truth. Think of all the people these owners have told about the mythical raer back room. Chances are it isn't worth the mental anguish.

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    We've got a notorious local dealer here who's been talking up the thousands of records he's got at home for over 10 years now. Dude lives with his mom and she's real funny, won't even let folks call the house. So basically he's always talking about all the crazy stuff he's got but nobody's ever seen it... I used to try to talk him into letting me check some out but no go

he's my neighbor!... i've tried to see what's over there, and when i bring it up he ALWAYS says, "i would let you, but momma's asleep" LOL

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Supreme and I were talking about crazy record store owners, that means ALL of them, and we got onto a funny subject. Why does almost every damn record store have a back room or basement with LOTS more records, but the dudes are MAD funny about letting you in there. "Oh I've got a lot more records in the back, but you can't go back there and look." Motherfucker why not!? You are in the business of SELLING records right? The secret basement is the other funny one. "Yo son, there is like crazy records in the basement of that shop but you gotta know the owner real well or you can't look down there." I think some of these record store owners just want to hoard records so they can be funny about the back room and the basement. "Oh, I have to go through them and price them first." Fool I got cash money NOW, what's really good? These guys act like you have to have government security clearance to look in the basement! LOL. If I had a record store and you got cash? SHIT, Plaese foll. You can look in the basement, the backroom, on the roof, in the bathroom, in my car, the spot where I eat lunch, any place you want. Find a record you like? Bring it to the counter with some money and we'll work out a price. Yadadamean?

Plaese to post ALL funny record store backroom and basement stories in this thread.

Thank you and have a nice Friday!

Hey BC,

You should check my old thread about this topic. I'm not sure if it's still around after the board crash. I asked why record store owners:

-Stink.
    -Use an abacus to calculate record prices (every heard of electronic cash registers?).
    -Won't let you look at the unpriced records where all the heat is (even though you have cash-money on hand).
    -Don't dust the shop.
    -Front on lettin' you in the back room.
    -Pack the records too damn tight.
    -Hoard dope LPs behind the register (when you're reading to spend cash).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

he's my neighbor!... i've tried to see what's over there, and when i bring it up he ALWAYS says, "i would let you, but momma's asleep" LOL

Haha., I think you told me that. Try to peek in the windows or something... at this point I seriously doubt he's packing any real heat in there though, based on his interests...

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Supreme and I were talking about crazy record store owners, that means ALL of them, and we got onto a funny subject. Why does almost every damn record store have a back room or basement with LOTS more records, but the dudes are MAD funny about letting you in there. "Oh I've got a lot more records in the back, but you can't go back there and look." Motherfucker why not!? You are in the business of SELLING records right? The secret basement is the other funny one. "Yo son, there is like crazy records in the basement of that shop but you gotta know the owner real well or you can't look down there." I think some of these record store owners just want to hoard records so they can be funny about the back room and the basement. "Oh, I have to go through them and price them first." Fool I got cash money NOW, what's really good? These guys act like you have to have government security clearance to look in the basement! LOL. If I had a record store and you got cash? SHIT, Plaese foll. You can look in the basement, the backroom, on the roof, in the bathroom, in my car, the spot where I eat lunch, any place you want. Find a record you like? Bring it to the counter with some money and we'll work out a price. Yadadamean?

Plaese to post ALL funny record store backroom and basement stories in this thread.

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    Haha., I think you told me that. Try to peek in the windows or something... at this point I seriously doubt he's packing any real heat in there though, based on his interests...

ok, i climbed up to the window, peeked in, and this was staring right at me:

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    ok, i climbed up to the window, peeked in, and this was staring right at me:

In the sarcastic words of Ace Frehley:

SHOCK ME!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I'm thinking it's sometimes done to save stock.

WE HAVE A WINNER.

Then again, there are people who have such serious price gun fear that they will never sell any of that shit. When they die it will all be there. Get to know their wife and kids, because that's who will sell it to you.

Then again, some of yall have no charisma or manners or money. Three things that will get you places in this game.

• tirefiretirefire 203 Posts
    The guy I worked for considered the store his personal collection. The back room stuff/stuff he took home was the stuff he couldn't bear to part with yet. And when he finally decided he could, he'd price it 40%-100% above book.

You can leave, but it's going to cost you.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Then again, some of yall have no charisma or manners or money. Three things that will get you places in this game.

Jonny I'm emailing you a screen capture of my paypal account.
    Now let's see that back room, posthaste. chop chop now

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Being a crazy record store owner I can answer some of these questions.

It is a lot easier to buy records than to sell them. Thus there is always a back log of records to be cleaned sorted and priced. They tend to pile up. Sadly most are not the ultra rare high dollar stuff, most are regular stock. But some gems are in there. I know they are in there, but I don't know how much I want for them off the top of my head.

I have found that people I have let look back there fall in 3 catagories. 1)The super nice guys like you and DC. People who understand that I need to price the stuff and there may be things I don't want to sell. 2) Those people who don't want to look at my stock, only the unpriced records, and who have never spent a dime with me. 3) Those people who think that anything that is unpriced should be a dollar.

Dan

Jonny I'm emailing you a screen capture of my paypal account.
    Now let's see that back room, posthaste. chop chop now

Sadly this post displays a lack of charisma and manners

Double sadly, my backroom consists of two boxes of sometimes-hot records

But seriously, Dan nailed it. I let some folks look through everything. They understand when I don't want to sell something, when I don't know what the price should be, or when I haven't even pulled it out the sleeve to listen to or clean. They are understanding when I say "that one is $50" even if they wanted to pay $20.

Then there are the jackasses who assume anything in the racks is passed over and check only the new arrivals and then ask "hey got anything laying around back there?" These assholes will never spend money on a record and will too-gladly floss their most recent "score" while declining to pick up the record (just put out) they had made a soulstrut post begging for a week earlier.

where's big nacho? He had some choice words for these dudes.

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    Interesting thread...I've commented on this type of thing before.
    I remember Raj brought up "Gold's Millions", a shop in Bala Cynwood Pa.
    This dude has been talking about his million piece "basement" stash for over 10 fucking years now.Last time I was there he brought up a box of like 50 Osmonds records.I shit you not.

A million terds is not impressive.

Also,there is a thrift store right around the corner from me.I asked about records about 2 years ago,they told me they have thousands and I'd be the first one they'd call when they "bring them up". I've tried to stay on top of the situation but they got real pissed when I asked about the records one too many times.It's like why the fuck are you going to tell me about these records if you have no intention of selling them.Completley retarded.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

There was a store in Fort Worth that was owned by two women in their 70's. There were very few records in the store but the back room was a friggin Goldmine. They would only sell records out of the back if you asked for a specific title and they would go back and check if they had it.

One day I went in with a list of 5 rare local 45's just to get a feel for what they had......in 10 minutes she came back with 3 of them.....$4.00 a piece.

At that point I pulled out $1,000 and told the ladies that I would give them the grand to let me go in the back room and go through the records. And if I only found $100.00 or $500.00 worth they could keep the full Grand.

They refused and said that I should just give them a list of what I was looking for. I went home and spent days making a list of about 1,200 local and rare 45's.

I brought them the list and checked back with them once a month for about a year....every time it was the same story...'We haven't gotten around to checking your list yet".....obviously they were overwhelmed with it and I should have made it like 100 titles at a time.

Soon thereafter one of the women died and the store and stock was sold to a local guy who swore there were no rare records in the batch!!!

• no charisma

hi r##h,

hope things are better with you.

no charisma

hi r##h,

So, how's the backroom coming along?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    no charisma

hi r##h,

Thanks....will know by the end of next week....and hopefully things will get back to "normal".

You comin' up??