An eBay "Moral Dilemma"

ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
On eBay there is a very clean copy of a record for which I need a sleeve upgrade. The cover of the copy I have now has some black mold/water damage on back but the front looks nice. The vinyl on my copy is VG++, mono (the copy on eBay is in stereo, which I'm very interested in hearing).The hang up is that, a while back, individuals claiming to be related to one of the artists involved in making the record expressed to me their intense desire to own an original copy of the record, and I'm sure they'll see the copy on eBay and bid on it. SO...Do I/Will I:A) Not bidB) Bid (and if I win, give my moldy-sleeved copy to the artist's fam (assuming I verify that they are indeed fam)).C) Bid (and if I win, outbidding the family, eBay my old copy with a reserve that accounts perfectly for the inferior cover condition as well as the intense familial interest (assuming they won't be too angry to give me their money after I outbid them on the better copy, knowing full well how much they wanted it)).D) Bid exorbitantly, win, floss both copies.E) Bid but shamefully lose to the artist's fam, pushing the ending price up by $150, tarnishing my rep.F) Not bid and have someone other than the artist's fam win the record at a price less than what I was willing to pay, and forever lament my lack of boldness.G-Z) ???Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    I say "B"

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yeash, B). I mean it's not a life and death situation. Do what you gotta do.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    I always hate it when someone poses a question like this and does not tell us what the record is... I understand why but I still hate it!

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    G: win the record at ebay, and send your bad copy to the artist's family.
    Show them you're a gentleman & a baller.

Peace

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    On eBay there is a very clean copy of a record for which I need a sleeve upgrade. The cover of the copy I have now has some black mold/water damage on back but the front looks nice. The vinyl on my copy is VG++, mono (the copy on eBay is in stereo, which I'm very interested in hearing).

The hang up is that, a while back, individuals claiming to be related to one of the artists involved in making the record expressed to me their intense desire to own an original copy of the record, and I'm sure they'll see the copy on eBay and bid on it. SO...

Do I/Will I:

A) Not bid
    B) Bid (and if I win, give my moldy-sleeved copy to the artist's fam (assuming I verify that they are indeed fam)).
    C) Bid (and if I win, outbidding the family, eBay my old copy with a reserve that accounts perfectly for the inferior cover condition as well as the intense familial interest (assuming they won't be too angry to give me their money after I outbid them on the better copy, knowing full well how much they wanted it)).
    D) Bid exorbitantly, win, floss both copies.
    E) Bid but shamefully loose to the artist's fam, pushing the ending price up by $150, tarnishing my rep.
    F) Not bid and have someone other than the artist's fam win the record at a price less than what I was willing to pay, and forever lament my lack of boldness.
    G-Z) ???

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Go with F--I was planning to bid on that.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I always hate it when someone poses a question like this and does not tell us what the record is... I understand why but I still hate it!

http://waxidermy.com/2006/02/05/chuito-the-latin-uniques-from-the-street/

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Try and meet her for drinks. I can sell you a G+ mono sleeve for $20

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Q: send her your record with full confidence that you will soon procure a better copy.

Try and meet her each sister for drinks on consecutive nights.

Lay that game down flat like the sleeve on a Peruvian pressing.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    A: Don't Bid
    You already have a version of this album that will suffice. Spend your $$ on a record you don't have in any way or form. You could even tell the artist's fam about the copy up for auction so they have a chance.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    A: Don't Bid
    You already have a version of this album that will suffice. Spend your $$ on a record you don't have in any way or form. You could even tell the artist's fam about the copy up for auction so they have a chance.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Try and meet her each sister for drinks on consecutive nights.

Lay that game down flat like the sleeve on a Peruvian pressing.

I think he'd need more copies (not good news for you Rillz) but then he could play Santa... I mean: "Santa"

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    why?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    H) Give up the record game and focus on your beanie baby and polo collections.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    why?

I think Rey is trying to say that bidder is shadowing him or something.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

so is this the person that's claiming their family?

if so, go with (f).

No, that's me.

Oh. Why is Rey calling you suspect? I'm confused.

That was my question.

• You're not going to like this advice, but here goes:

Forget about the whole thing. Seriously. Records are just material objects that mean little to nothing in the grand scheme of things. I'd sell all of my records in a heartbeat if one of my cats got sick or something serious like that.

Everyone, including myself, needs to remember that from time to time.

Your records aren't going to follow you up Mt. Zion/into Heaven/whatever afterlife you believe in/don't believe in.

Take a cue from the great 'marcofunk' and just treat records as rasins!

amen

You're not going to like this advice, but here goes:

Forget about the whole thing. Seriously.

Why?

He has no reason to believe that those people actually are the children of the artist.

He has no reason to believe that they are even aware that this record is being offered for sale on eBay--their comments on waxidermy certainly did not suggest that they knew anything about he online record market.

He has no reason to believe that if they were aware of it, they would be prepared to put up the kind of money that that record will likely command.

Do you, Rey. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't believe you have any obligation whatsoever to those two people--more copies of this record will undoubtedly surface. As a matter of fact, a clean copy closed about a week ago, that does not appear to have been bid upon by any members of the artist's family.

If you really want to go out of your way to do something nice for them, then donate your water-damaged copy--the condition probably won't make a difference to noncollectors, anyway.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Do you, Rey.

If you really want to go out of your way to do something nice for them, then donate your water-damaged copy--the condition probably won't make a difference to noncollectors, anyway.

Do you, Rey.

Yeah, I'm just saying: I feel like we're talking about nice things Rey could do, not anything that he morally has to do.

He does, however, have some negative record karma to work off, so this could be a real good look.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Do you, Rey.

Yeah, I'm just saying: I feel like we're talking about nice things Rey could do, not anything that he morally has to do.

He does, however, have some negative record karma to work off, so this could be a real good look.

I remember you said you didn't believe in record karma, but you seem to believe it could have an effect on Reynaldo. Contradiction is balance?

Do you, Rey.

I remember you said you didn't believe in record karma, but you seem to believe it could have an effect on Reynaldo. Contradiction is balance?

I don't--I'm just offering a perspective on how the possibilities open to Young Moneybags relate to the prevalent worldview around here.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I don't--I'm just offering a perspective on how the possibilities open to Young Moneybags relate to the prevalent worldview around here.

Oh. I would say "cosmovision" instead of "worldview" tough.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

Absolutely, but the dilemma is in the fact that he could do it. If he felt he had to do it, then there wouldn't be a dilemma.

It's real easy to tell someone to do the nice thing when you're a spectator, but I'll do it anyways. Do the nice thing!

DJ Ferrari

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Whatever happended to a good ol' CDR of the tracks with a nice scan/printout of the front & back cover (if you want to get illy with jewelcase inserts & CD stickers from Staples or somthing)?
    Wouldn't that be of far more use to the whole familia than the actual LP?