I NEED SOME SERIOUS ADVICE (Ayres,Cosmo,anyone)

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited May 2005 in DJ Talk / Mixes
I have been racking my brain bigtime the past few days about something very important to me.I am SERIOUSLY thinking about making a DRASTIC change to my setup and the way I do my thing, but I dont really know shit about this stuff..so I thought I would come and ask people that I know I can trust.OK heres the deal..I currently use two 1200s,vestax 05proII,MPC2000XL all ran through my DELL using Cubase to record with...but I am thinking about possibly doing one/some/all of the following:First thing I am thinking I might do is sell my whole DJ setup(1200s,etc) AND my MPC..and buy a pair of CDJ thingamajigs to use for DJing(taking place of the 1200s)...and use CUBASE or whatever program to sample,make beats,etc(instead of my MPC). The thing is if I do this..I have a lot of dope vinyl(that I would HATE to get rid of..but if I use a CDJ to play CDs..I really wouldnt need the wax). Then I could sell all my 12"s,etc on ebay or whatever and make a pretty good bit of scrilla (which I REALLY COULD USE right about now). But, I dont know how burning CDs from the net(mp3,etc) is quality wise. I know alot of you guys do this..and could school me on it.Second thing I might do is just sell one 1200 and buy only 1 CDJ thingamajig, and just use one CDJ and one 1200 to DJ with.(which means keeping my wax..and making no $$$) After seeing how easy it is to sample,sequence,edit and all with Cubase..I have realized I dont really need this 2000XL. I love the fucking thing,and its what I am used to but if I dont need it..I mine as well get some dough for it.I came to the Strut to get some advice because I know a lot of you know what time it is when it comes to this shit..so I hope I can get some good advice and pointers.HELP!!?!??!?!

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I have been racking my brain bigtime the past few days about something very important to me.
    I am SERIOUSLY thinking about making a DRASTIC change to my setup and the way I do my thing, but I dont really know shit about this stuff..so I thought I would come and ask people that I know I can trust.

OK heres the deal..I currently use two 1200s,vestax 05proII,MPC2000XL all ran through my DELL using Cubase to record with...but I am thinking about possibly doing one/some/all of the following:

First thing I am thinking I might do is sell my whole DJ setup(1200s,etc) AND my MPC..and buy a pair of CDJ thingamajigs to use for DJing(taking place of the 1200s)...and use CUBASE or whatever program to sample,make beats,etc(instead of my MPC). The thing is if I do this..I have a lot of dope vinyl(that I would HATE to get rid of..but if I use a CDJ to play CDs..I really wouldnt need the wax). Then I could sell all my 12"s,etc on ebay or whatever and make a pretty good bit of scrilla (which I REALLY COULD USE right about now). But, I dont know how burning CDs from the net(mp3,etc) is quality wise. I know alot of you guys do this..and could school me on it.

Second thing I might do is just sell one 1200 and buy only 1 CDJ thingamajig, and just use one CDJ and one 1200 to DJ with.(which means keeping my wax..and making no $$$)

After seeing how easy it is to sample,sequence,edit and all with Cubase..I have realized I dont really need this 2000XL. I love the fucking thing,and its what I am used to but if I dont need it..I mine as well get some dough for it.

I came to the Strut to get some advice because I know a lot of you know what time it is when it comes to this shit..so I hope I can get some good advice and pointers.

HELP!!?!??!?!

are you nuts? Get out of here with that Bullshit!!!

SMH@ people selling dope gear for cubase and selling all their vinyl for cdr's burned off the fucking internet.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    we sold our turntables to buy guitars

we sold our guitars to buy turntables

we sold our turntables to buy keyboards

we sold our keyboards to buy harps

we sold our harps to buy cdjs

we sold our cdjs to buy guitars

we sold our guitars to buy a computer

• I have been racking my brain bigtime the past few days about something very important to me.
    I am SERIOUSLY thinking about making a DRASTIC change to my setup and the way I do my thing, but I dont really know shit about this stuff..so I thought I would come and ask people that I know I can trust.

OK heres the deal..I currently use two 1200s,vestax 05proII,MPC2000XL all ran through my DELL using Cubase to record with...but I am thinking about possibly doing one/some/all of the following:

First thing I am thinking I might do is sell my whole DJ setup(1200s,etc) AND my MPC..and buy a pair of CDJ thingamajigs to use for DJing(taking place of the 1200s)...and use CUBASE or whatever program to sample,make beats,etc(instead of my MPC). The thing is if I do this..I have a lot of dope vinyl(that I would HATE to get rid of..but if I use a CDJ to play CDs..I really wouldnt need the wax). Then I could sell all my 12"s,etc on ebay or whatever and make a pretty good bit of scrilla (which I REALLY COULD USE right about now). But, I dont know how burning CDs from the net(mp3,etc) is quality wise. I know alot of you guys do this..and could school me on it.

Second thing I might do is just sell one 1200 and buy only 1 CDJ thingamajig, and just use one CDJ and one 1200 to DJ with.(which means keeping my wax..and making no $$$)

After seeing how easy it is to sample,sequence,edit and all with Cubase..I have realized I dont really need this 2000XL. I love the fucking thing,and its what I am used to but if I dont need it..I mine as well get some dough for it.

I came to the Strut to get some advice because I know a lot of you know what time it is when it comes to this shit..so I hope I can get some good advice and pointers.

HELP!!?!??!?!

are you nuts? Get out of here with that Bullshit!!!

SMH@ people selling dope gear for cubase and selling all their vinyl for cdr's burned off the fucking internet.

why am I nuts..and I will not "GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE WITH THAT BULLSHIT"

and what the fuck is SMH?

• we sold our turntables to buy guitars

? come again ?

• yo BSIDES...waiting for reply.

? come as you are [/b], again ?

NO AYO, JUST DAYGLO

The DAISY AGE IS UPON US!

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    we sold our turntables to buy guitars

we sold it all for an echoplex x x x x x x x x x.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

and what the fuck is SMH?

it is a kind of vd, it came from the dutch

• FUCKING SHIT..I honestly thought I could get some motherfucking advice from posting this question/thread. I guess I was wrong.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I've got a pair of Numark Axis 9 CD players and really like them. They're not top of the line in terms of manufacturing (plastic housing) or authentic scratching (there's 4 scratch settings, none of which really duplicate vinyl to a tee). But for the price (around $300 if you talk down your local dealer), they sound great and have a lot of fun onboard features like seamless looping, phase, echo, etc. I have had a few minor technical glitches like effects not working at certain times, but that's usually solved by ejecting then reinserting the CD. No permanent problems... yet.

SouthCL, I think the reason you're getting a lot of flak on this thread isn't because you want to go digital, but because you're willing to jettison every piece of analog equipment/music in order to do so. This is a record collecting website, after all - the idea of getting rid of all your vinyl isn't going to be a popular one.

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater is never a good idea - you'd regret having sold your records and turntables within a month, guaranteed.

• thanks for the link..but I am not really looking for tips on how to make "crunchier drums"

I just want a advice from someone that uses both a CDJ and a turntable..or strictly CDJs. I am sick of lugging around and storing records.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    this thread has potential

= Rane Serato.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    this thread has potential

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    sell the MPC most definalty ... use that cash to get the cdj's

you need to hold onto the decks until you've digitised your wax... sell the wax off in batches as you digitise... once you're getting there sell one deck... do it all in stages that way you can at least see if you like the cdj's and want to stick with them

option two.. sell the MPC and get serrato or final scratch.. thus keeping the 1200's and you can still digitise sell off the wax.

but yeah biff the MPC

biff the MPC

• sell the MPC most definalty ... use that cash to get the cdj's

you need to hold onto the decks until you've digitised your wax... sell the wax off in batches as you digitise... once you're getting there sell one deck... do it all in stages that way you can at least see if you like the cdj's and want to stick with them

option two.. sell the MPC and get serrato or final scratch.. thus keeping the 1200's and you can still digitise sell off the wax.

but yeah biff the MPC

Thanks for a REAL RESPONSE,Dubious..I do appreciate it. It seems that unless one is invited into the Soul Strut cool club..or is sucking the dick of someone on here that happens to have a 12" out, its hard to get straight up replies to posts.

From what I have read..the CDJs are pretty close to 1200s..feel wise. true? I dont know shit about them..serato..or any of the other similar things.

Do you use CDJs? Hows the quality? Say you burn a record or a mp3 onto a CD to use when playing out...how does it sound? compared to the original quality? noticeable..or what?

Biff the MPC

Comes with this manual:

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Say you burn a record or a mp3 onto a CD to use when playing out...how does it sound? compared to the original quality? noticeable..or what?

What do you think?

• Biff the MPC

Comes with this manual:

Marco..did you not get the PM I sent..or did you just choose to ignore it?

• Say you burn a record or a mp3 onto a CD to use when playing out...how does it sound? compared to the original quality? noticeable..or what?

What do you think?

I am guessing some of the quality is probably lost a bit..but not enough to hardly notice. That is why I am asking.

I chose to reply to your questions about CD players in this thread... or did you just choose to ignore it?

Dude, chill out. Keep in mind some of us try to keep this place lighthearted to stay sane.

Your real answer = go check out all this stuff for yourself.

There is probably an equipment store near your home and you can probably check out most of these pieces of equipment and get extensive demos. What works for Dubious, Ayres, Cosmo, Marco might not work for you SouthCrack, and then again it might.

All I'm saying is, TRY BEFORE YOU MAKE A DRASTIC DECISION TO SELL OR BUY.

"WISE MAN SAY:

ONLY FOOLS RUSH IN"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I chose to reply to your questions about CD players in this thread... or did you just choose to ignore it?

Bhangra bitch slap with a biff aftertaste

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I agree with Marco and Dubious. And H****h, it seems to me like you are a little aggro today - maybe it is time for a sandwich.

If anyone needs me, I will be in Mississippi, busting moves in the trill world.

Chopped up modern experimental electronic bitch slap with a soul-laced, crunk screwed biffed off aftertaste

• Marco..did you not get the PM I sent..or did you just choose to ignore it?

ahh fuck dude..my bad. I totally missed your reply. My apologies!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Say you burn a record or a mp3 onto a CD to use when playing out...how does it sound? compared to the original quality? noticeable..or what?

What do you think?

I am guessing some of the quality is probably lost a bit..but not enough to hardly notice. That is why I am asking.

The louder they're played the more noticable the differences are gonna be...

• Dude, chill out. Keep in mind some of us try to keep this place lighthearted to stay sane.

Your real answer = go check out all this stuff for yourself.

There is probably an equipment store near your home and you can probably check out most of these pieces of equipment and get extensive demos. What works for Dubious, Ayres, Cosmo, Marco might not work for you SouthCrack, and then again it might.

All I'm saying is, TRY BEFORE YOU MAKE A DRASTIC DECISION TO SELL OR BUY.

"WISE MAN SAY:
    ONLY FOOLS RUSH IN"

Hey sorry to come off like an ass..my bad.

As far as equiptment store,nada..none really around here that has that type shit..so I am stuck just reading about it on websites which usually doesnt tell me shit but specs and their opinion. I would much rather hear an opinion from someone that isnt trying to sell me something..and actually uses it on gigs,etc. Thanks for your help,though.