Mental Exhaustion

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Hey,Has anyone here endured mental exhaustion? I think I'm facing it right now. I don't have a lot of vigor these days. Professionally, I've decided not to work on any new research projects until summer just to take a break. I've been churning out the work this academic year (i.e., 10 research papers are currently under review a journals). Now, I have student projects to grade and I must write final exams. On the flipside, I've made like one beat in the last 2 months and I need to get back in the studio. I need one of those Southwest Airlines vacations!!! Anyone have tips for bouncing back from mental exhaustion? Thanks in advance...Peace,Sleepy Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I've definitely experienced this before. If I'm trying to bounce back after the culmination of a big project or exams, I usually set the first two days of break aside to do absolutely nothing. Read a bit, watch some sitcoms, sleep a lot. After that I routinize my life a bit with an emphasis on exercise, a well-planned and balanced diet, meditation, and a set sleep schedule. I find this is a good way to start an extended period of down-time because it gets you motivated to stay active. Staying active is important to me, at least, as there's nothing I hate more than the feeling that I've squandered a day/week/month...year?

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I would say, eating comfort food, listening to relaxing music, getting good sleep (naps are important at this point too), and as corny as this might sound to some of you, meditation. When I am mentally exhausted my mind starts to race, thinking very quickly about the same things over and over, sometimes in flashes, adding a lot of unnecessary stress to my mind. Meditating helps me focus and not over extend my thought process. But really, anything that keeps your mind off of thinking hard and allows you to just chill should be good.

ha! breakself and I just made the same posts in different words

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    get some exercise.

this is probably the solution to 99% of my motivational funks. once my bloods is moving, I'm feeling at least A LITTLE liberated from my mental blocks. i'd recommend some biking, jogging, extra walking, cardio machines etc...and definitely bring your headphones, you'll need some music.

also, schedule some time for yourself to work on creative shit. write it in your calendar, block it off, forbid anyone else to take this time away from you, turn your cell off, etc (no soulstrut)...for an hour. once a week...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Thanks, Breakself and Garcia Vega. It's weird that I'm down like this, because I'm usually an upbeat, manic, high-energy cat. I've been dragging the last few weeks, but then again, it is near the end of the semester. I always get a little tired by then. It just seems like I'm down further than normal.

Peace,

Sleepy Stacks from Kakalak

I would say, eating comfort food, listening to relaxing music, getting good sleep (naps are important at this point too), and as corny as this might sound to some of you, meditation. When I am mentally exhausted my mind starts to race, thinking very quickly about the same things over and over, sometimes in flashes, adding a lot of unnecessary stress to my mind. Meditating helps me focus and not over extend my thought process. But really, anything that keeps your mind off of thinking hard and allows you to just chill should be good.

Meditating is an activity that has been so bastardized by these new-age, I'm-not-religious-but-I'm-spiritual yuppies that it's hard for anyone to take it seriously. It's a goddamn shame. I have to go get drunk now, but when I get back maybe I'll speak on it. I'm sure you're all looking forward to that.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    1. Sleep
    Turn off your phones, unplug your alarm clocks and go to sleep and don't wake up until your body tells you to get up.

2. Food
    Eat regular healthy meals that get your body the nutrition it needs (and if your like me that means the meals and nutrition you neglect to give it.)

3. Relax
    No work or work related conversations phone calls for at least a day. Instead go do what it is you love. Spend hte day digging for records, take your dog to the park bum.

4. Spend some time with those you love
    When I am in your current state it usually means I have been putting all my time in on work and not my peeps. Go hang out with your homies or your girl. Have some laughs.

I usually try to do something to keep myself from this on a daily basis. I always have the daily papers' crossword or something to read unrelated to work that I enjoy. Typically it's easy digested reading like magazines or a light reading book. I work through the day and as I get to that point of "fuck this shit," I put down work for 15 minutes and concentrate on something enjoyable instead.

Good Luck.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Meditating is an activity that has been so bastardized by these new-age, I'm-not-religious-but-I'm-spiritual yuppies that it's hard for anyone to take it seriously. It's a goddamn shame. I have to go get drunk now, but when I get back maybe I'll speak on it. I'm sure you're all looking forward to that.

Breakself, plaese to drop knowledge. I've been seriously considering this lately.

I'm kind of going through my own mental exhaustion due to a month of intensive (by my lowly standards) of reading a book Sweendog recommended me for about 2 hours a day, taking notes, reading the paper, and trying to navigate my way through a solitary learning process. I've noticed that when you actually explain to someone about your studies or apply it, you get a better sense of gratification. Because i'm taking time off from work right now (due to health-related reasons), it takes a lot more effort and self-discipline to learn on your own.

okay i got sidetracked, but i've been wanting to go hiking and also try Zen meditation for a while now. Hopefully i'll do this in the next coming weeks. I think the key is finding an hour out of your day where you are not really using your brain. i.e. sprints on the grass, painting, going to a concert, a long bath with a book/magazine at hand.

food, is another factor that definitely can't be overlooked.

yea and like someone else said, it definitely doesn't hurt to indulge.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    1. Don't spend too much time on the internet.

2. Change your diet. I duno what your diet's like, but this can make a big differnece. Too many carbohydrates and lot of sugar, like most comfort foods, will give you a shorterm boost, and even lift your mood. But after this 'high' you will get the low, and they will slow you down and tire you out.
    Also don't eat big meals, eat smaller, regular meals.

3. Exercise. This couild just be going for a walk. I find going somewhere quite and countryfide, and just going for a walk, has a similar effect to meditation.

4. Try and have somewhere in your house, flats are more difficult, where you can get away and switch off from everything. No tv, no work related stuff, no records, nothing to distract you. Then find something that will relax you. Sit and watch the world go buy, listern to something mellow, meditate, listern to a radio play.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    1. Don't spend too much time on the internet.

This is the truth. Internet zaps energy. I usually turn off at night because I have to be on all day.

I find myself nearing mental exhaustion all the time, and unfortunately I can't just give in, I have to get up every day and put in my all.

I find the following things helpful:

- Take a moment, if only a moment, and center yourself. Close off the outside world, breathe, relax. As many times a day as you need to. Short breathing exercises are one of the easiest ways to achieve momentary relaxation.

- Focus. If there are too many things on your plate, the only way they will get done is one at a time. Some of it may be time-sensitive so try to sort out which items need to be done first. Then focus incessantly one by one on each task until they are all done.

- Clean. My office and my house are messes. Important to change that, clean space = clean mind.

- Sleep. Find one day a week where you can sleep in, or one night to turn in early. Sometimes, I will go to sleep at 9:30 (early for me) and wake up at 6, that's OK - I work all morning and get stuff done with a much clearer head. Also, drinking/smoking before bed = tired the next day, even in moderation. I gotta quit doing that.

- Try to get away from everything that you're doing. To me, that does not mean records, family, girl, friends... all of which can be stressful. Last time I took a me-day I took myself, some twiddle, and my ipod to a secluded beach that was out of cellphone range and I chilled all day by myself. That's CRAZY important. Solitude is where my mind can really get back to normal and sort itself out.

- Lastly, push yourself harder, like your old bucket that used to cough and wheeze while taking a steep hill. Nobody succeeds by crying uncle. Every time I think I can't do it anymore, I push myself to keep on, and I am surprised at the results. Sometimes it's important to re-energize briefly but the human mind and body are very, very capable and you'd be surprised at the results when you push yourself beyond what you think you can handle.

Stacks, you know I hate you like a brother, so take care of yourself and get your schitt done.

Peace,
    Big Jon from Brooknam

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    These are all good tips, especially the exercise. A study published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine this year in January reported that aerobic exercise is as effective as antidepressant medication in reducing the symptoms of mild to moderate depression (what you're calling "mental exhaustion" would probably be diagnosed as mild depression by a psychiatrist). As much as I love my drugs (I call the products I market my babies), I recognize that medication is not appropriate or necessary for everyone.

I would also recommend some sun and/or light therapy to increase your serotonin levels, which will improve your mood and make you feel more energetic.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. I got up early and took the dog for a looooooong walk, and that seemed to give me some pep. Honestly, I think I've had too much on my plate this semester, which will ease up during the summer. Well, I have a lot of research projects to work on during summer, but also I will not be teaching, serving on school/university committees, and supervising students' independent study projects. Taking off some of these other hats reduces my overall workload considerably. And look at Jonny P gettin' all sensitive and shit!!! "Ya'll 'sposed ta be hard, all cryin' and shit. Stay up, Kane, stay up, Kane..." You know it's all love, bruh!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I would also recommend some sun and/or light therapy to increase your serotonin levels, which will improve your mood and make you feel more energetic.

Increased exposure to sunlight also a mild, natural appetite suppressant, thus decreasing your desire to lounge and eat junk food.

Breakself, plaese to drop knowledge. I've been seriously considering this lately.

okay i got sidetracked, but i've been wanting to go hiking and also try Zen meditation for a while now.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this. Someone broke into my car while I was out last night, so I have to figure out how to get the window replaced. With that said, here's an abridged version of my take on meditation.

People turn to meditation for different reasons. Some are looking to get in touch w/ themselves, some use it to hone specific aspects of their personalities, some use it to simply calm down, and others do it strictly in the spirit of religious practice.

From a completely non-spiritual perspective, meditation (or, simply, an extended period of single-pointed focus) is an effective way to regain control over the chaotic nature of our everyday thought process. If you stop, and examine your self-perpetuating inner monologue you'll notice that its filled with disjointed, unsequenced thoughts, non-sequitors, and an impressive array of white noise and nonsense. Generating this monologue requires a substantial expenditure of energy, which is why you can spend an entire day doing absolutely nothing, and still feel completely exhausted at night. Meditation is essentially a way of cutting your internal monologue short, thus allowing the energy your body has stored from food, sun, sleep etc., to be used in other (more productive?) ways. A tangible experience of this re-directed energy can be had by meditating outside in the cold. My experience has been that decreasing my mental activity, allows my body to exert more energy into keeping me warm. In fact, long-time, highly proficient meditation masters have been shown to increase their core body temperatures by as much as 4-5 degrees! In any case, the best way to understand the difference that meditation can make in your daily life is by experiencing it first hand. So with that...

In your case, yuichi, I would reccommend steering clear of pretty much anything Zen-related. In most of America 'Zen' is nothing more than a fashionable buzzword used by yuppies, hippies, and pseudo-spiritualists to describe anything they whish to empower with spiritual currency. There is no "Zen of fly fishing" no matter what the dude at Borders tells you. This is a subject I could go on and on about, but I doubt many people would find it worth reading. In any case, suffice it to say that zen meditation, or zazen ("just sitting"), is extremely difficult to get the hang of, even with the guidance of someone with experience. Anyone who tells you different is a hack, or looking to sell you something.

For a beginner, such as yourself, I would recommend a simple seated meditation that involves focusing attention on the breath. A quick google search will turn up plenty of tips on posture, so I'll leave you to find a position that you're comfortable with. Once your seated take a second to commit yourself to the activity by mentally leaving all aspects of your life at the door. As a Buddhist, I often do a dedication before I begin that involves bequeathing whatever positive merit may be accumulated through my actions to the eventual enlightenment of all sentient beings. This, of course, is entirely optional. When you're ready to begin, tilt your head down a bit so that your eyes rest comfortably on the floor a few feet in front of you. Your mouth should be slightly open, and your tongue resting comfortable on the roof of your mouth where your gums meet the back of your teeth.

This simple meditation involves nothing more than being consciously aware of your own breathing. Count each breath on the exhale and start with cycles of ten. When random thoughts enter your head, and believe me they will, recognize them as the ephemeral and substance-less manifestations of an overactive mind, and bring your attention back to the gentle rise and fall of your breath.

I tend to sit until I feel comfortable stopping, but many people set a timer. If you choose the latter, I'd recommend starting out with something like 5-10 minutes. You'll be amazed at how impossibly intractable your mind is, and your first several attempts will most likely be colossal failures from your point of view. DON'T GET DISCOURAGED!! Meditating is not easy. It requires dedicated practice, and plenty of patience. If you can fit 10 minutes of meditation into your daily routine, you'll soon find that you're able to slip into a 'space' of awareness with increasing ease. When you start to get better, you may catch yourself mentally acknowledging your progress during meditation. This can turn into a major distraction if you let it, so treat these affirmations as you would anything else, and ignore them completely in favor of your own breathing.

That's pretty much it. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me or email me at [email]aaronda@umich.edu[/email]

• word to using meditation, was a great way to cope with stress and clarify cloudy thinking.

There are multiple methods in which to meditate, my old roommate used to practice a method taught by the temple of self-realization I on the other hand found myself much more confortable closing my eyes, praciticing my breathing and concentrating on instumental music. By the way for any strutters in LA I suggest visiting the temple of self-realization just for the beautiufl gardens.

another great way to recharge from mental exhaustion may just be a vacation. if your daily grind is getting to you a quick getaway may be just what you need

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    wow, thanks Breakself. indeed.

This is where i've been planning to go to, free sessions on Sunday: ZCLA.org

wow, thanks Breakself. indeed.

This is where i've been planning to go to, free sessions on Sunday: ZCLA.org

That center looks great, yuichi! I had thought you were considering practicing zazen by yourself, at home, which is something I would not recommend. Going to a zen temple, however, is a completely different manner, and something I wholeheartedly endorse. Living in LA, you have the benefit of several very strong Buddhist centers w/in arms reach. Best of luck with this endeavor, and by all means try your best to stay at it.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    In fact, long-time, highly proficient meditation masters have been shown to increase their core body temperatures by as much as 4-5 degrees!
    I saw a clip recently on TV that showed Tibetan monks wrapping themselves in wet sheets and meditating until they raised their core body temp enough to dry the sheets. You could see the steam eminating from them and everything.

In fact, long-time, highly proficient meditation masters have been shown to increase their core body temperatures by as much as 4-5 degrees!
    I saw a clip recently on TV that showed Tibetan monks wrapping themselves in wet sheets and meditating until they raised their core body temp enough to dry the sheets. You could see the steam eminating from them and everything.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    get some exercise.

this is probably the solution to 99% of my motivational funks. once my bloods is moving, I'm feeling at least A LITTLE liberated from my mental blocks. i'd recommend some biking, jogging, extra walking, cardio machines etc...and definitely bring your headphones, you'll need some music.
    I really don't go out and exercise that much these days but what I always used to do was to go out skateboarding when feeling a bit stressed. Just focusing on a sport, any sport, and getting the blood flowing really helps you relax and take your mind off things.