Sao Paulo Digging

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central

Comments

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    HELP! Trying to post my own pics for the first time from Yahoo photos. Advice please.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    i see nothing

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    N**l - Make that a regular webpage link instead of an image link and it should work better.

Awesome photos though! I've never been to Brasil so it's cool to see the sights.

I wanted to post the photos here but instead I'll send y'all the link. Lots of non-digging photos in there too. The other digger pictured is Moog Man, my trusty guide. Here goes:
    Neville's Brazil trip

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Did you pick up that Band on the Run? James Coburn is

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Great pictures. Very clean places. I always thought that there must be filthy places in Brazil all over. I love those shops/homes. What a place.

No Toni Tornado LPs?

The 45 that's leaning against the PC in picture IMGP0427.JPG is a Roberto Carlos 45. I'm not sure whcih one though. There are several 45s by hime with that picture cover.

• SHoulda picked up that Quarteto Forma LP in the background there by the dealer..... although it looks like he knew his stuff...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I always thought that there must be filthy places in Brazil all over.

Sorry - I wanted to post the photos with comments but have been too tied up (reason I'm splitting from my partner at Crooked Beat Records and opening a new store at 14th and T Streets in NW DC. Wil be open mid-May). Back to Brazil....
    Lotsa records in down there especially in Sao Paulo. Prices aren't cheap but you can find deals. The outdoor market prices were pretty equal to the stores unfortunately. All the guys know Tim Maia, Mutantes, and the other digger wants but you can find perfectly good (great) Gal Costas, Elis Reginas, Caetanos, etc. for not much. Some of the guys in the park came up with some good cheap stuff but condition is always an issue so double check. The bright Brazilian sunshine can play tricks on your eyes some times.
    Some of the stuff that I found that surprised me were "The Hip Walk" - Nathan Davis and "Ultra Native" - Bora Rokovic (MPS) for $20 each. Both mint. A great Italian beat/garage comp called "Vacanze Beat" (Epic). Speaking of Italian records, they are all over the place. Unfortunately I'm not too up on the titles so I probably passed some good ones. Although many of the stores do have listening stations the sheer volume of unfamiliar titles made for a lot of work. Decent selection of French stuff as well. Scored some great funk 45's (Brazilian pressings) and comps (ditto). Thanks to Moog Man I also scored some great early 80's post-punk stuff (Mercenarias, Smack, etc) and a tasty 80's psych Bunnymenesque record called "Violeta de Outono). Prices on this stuff is still decent although Soul Jazz will probably put an end to that. Will post pics of finds later.
    The DJ pictured the most is DJ Nuts who rocks the decks and is a really nice guy. We met through a mutual friend and he totally hooked me up a few times. Even on a weeknight there can be long lines and cover charges to some of the better club nights and Nuts took care of that. Respect. Speaking of DJ's I heard some of the best hip-hop DJing (old, new, underground, dancehall you name it) I've ever heard down there. The crowds are to die for. Loads of the hottest women you have EVER seen all dancing. No standing around shit. Burning a joint is no problem inside the clubs and you can drink beer while waiting in line outside. Never saw a fight even in really crowded conditions.
    Concert photos are of "O Rappa" at Tom Brasil. Great show. Beach photos are from Juquehy.
    Already planning my next trip. Bahia this time.
    Obrigado,
    Neville

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Hi N*al!

Nice pics & finds.
    Good luck in your new store.

Peace

• Nice pics [email]Ne@l![/email] looks like you had some fun. I'll swing by the store sometime this week to discuss.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I always thought that there must be filthy places in Brazil all over.

Moog Man are you in SaoPaolo?

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

Moog Man are you in SaoPaolo?

Yes, I am.