The word "hipster"

13»

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    trying to attack me as your defense to making a post about why people listed as hipsters either have racist undertones or something inferior about their personality is also very much

How dare you. Some of my best friends are Hipsto-Americans.

But foreally... That is not what my initial post either said or implied. You're the one seeing "racist undertones" in it. It was an invitation to discuss the evolution of the term "hipster," a term whose meaning seems to have changed considerably over time. I made the post because of Aser's recently revived thread and how the term gets thrown around a lot, even though 1) it seems like it's hard to define (beyond being negative) and 2) it doesn't mean to mean what it once did.

yeah i agree. i don't see what's so inherantly racist or smug about starting a thread about the word hipster. frankly, i am glad to see this brought up andn that there are people in here who agree with me that it's overused to the point of being generic and meaningless. also, i didn't get any holier-than-thou tone from hoggy's initial post...

what's the hell?

bringing up skintone in a post in which it wasn't needed only begged for a race debate. I don't really understand why Ross mentioned it in initial post and I'm kind of curious as to what he was eluding to.

if that's the case, why didn't you say anything in the "asian hipster girls" thread?

when something gets brought up again and again it becomes worth breaking down.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

Here's my best look.

As you can see, I'm nowhere near being

a dude without[/b] a Beatles haircut and some dagger-looking eye liner[/b].

^^^yikes.

I think poser should then come back to replace hipster. thing is some people think it's cool to be a hipster (whatever hipster means nowadays), yet nobody ever thought it was cool to be called a poser. So that could become problematic. I've recently been involved in a similar conversation about hip hop culture where somebody came to the conclusion that anything and everything can be hip hop, and hip hop can accuse hip hop of being too hip hop. By all of this rationale, I have determined that George Bush, Billy the Kid, and Bill O'Reilly are all hip hop hipsters. Life is so confusing.