The word "hipster"

Comments

• (and it rarely refers to black dudes)

Several of the folks in that picture are longtime friends of mine and whatever your definition of hipster is, they don't meet it. The one dude Danny founded the Lyricist Lounge and another cat Life has been rocking open mikes for like 15 years, which is about as un-hip as it gets. Chill the fuck out with your stereotyping. It's especially comical coming from a dude with a Beatles haircut and some dagger-looking sideburns.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    (and it rarely refers to black dudes)

Several of the folks in that picture are longtime friends of mine and whatever your definition of hipster is, they don't meet it. The one dude Danny founded the Lyricist Lounge and another cat Life has been rocking open mikes for like 15 years, which is about as un-hip as it gets. Chill the fuck out with your stereotyping. It's especially comical coming from a dude with a Beatles haircut and some dagger-looking sideburns.

Yeah, I was gonna say: Dreadlocks? Yes. Slam poets? Perhaps. Hipsters? Not so much.

now I hafta go find a pic of SoulMarcosa!

• Double_BDouble_B 169 Posts
    I live in Williamsburg, and hipster generally means white artsy people between 20 and 40 years old. It generally has to do with the way they dress, the music they listen to, and if they're an artist or a musician.

There are black hipsters. They are black dudes who dress like the white hipsters.

I know this whole thing is stupid, but in NYC that is what it means. It's also true that no one wants to be a hipster anymore. People who move to Williamsburg generally get over it in like a year and stop wearing sb dunks. Most people in other neighborhoods hate Williamsburg, and the "hipsters," although Williamsburg is a pretty popular weekend destination because at least you don't have to be around the bridge and tunnel crowd.

Williamsburg is really fucking cheap though.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I also want to add that in my mind Yuppies are nothing like Hipsters.

Being from SF, and growing up in the Marina/Cow Hollow district more specfically, I am well versed in Yuppies. They hang out in the Triangle, Noah's on Chestnut street, they work in finance, sales, marketing, maybe law, own golden retrievers, drive BMWs and wear those ugly quilted Burberry jackets. I guess Hipsters can become Yuppies, but not usually and definitely not the other way around.

damn I googled "yuppie girl" and got this:

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts

i agree that the people in that pic don't look like your typical "hipsters" but damn...calm down! and don't rag on beatles haircuts and sideburns...would you rather us white folk dress like your friends and grow dreadlocks and wear timberlands? it's funny how people so into hip-hop can all dress the same but then they dis on other social groups for dressing the same. and what's really sad is that any black person that doesn't dress hip-hop probably gets written off as a hipster just for having style.

and hey...founding lyricist lounge is pretty hip no?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    and don't rag on beatles haircuts and sideburns...would you rather us white folk dress like your friends and grow dreadlocks and wear timberlands?

Fortunately white people do have a few options in addition to daggerburns and birds' nest dreadlocks...

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts

Fortunately white people do have a few options in addition to daggerburns and birds' nest dreadlocks...

there's muttonchops i guess.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

And two of the people in the first picture have been acquaintances of mine since 1988 or before.

My points were these:

1) "Hipsterism" knows no color
    2) Some of your best friends may be "hipsters"
    3) Points 1 & 2 aside, judging people by the way they LOOK isn't the best way to determine who they ARE

Now fall the fuck back and get a sense of humor.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

to this:

In just over 50 years!

That is about the furthest thing from a hipster! The man above is, on a good day, a mere poser. The two terms are often confused.

• trying to attack me as your defense to making a post about why people listed as hipsters either have racist undertones or something inferior about their personality is also very much

How dare you. Some of my best friends are Hipsto-Americans.

But foreally... That is not what my initial post either said or implied. You're the one seeing "racist undertones" in it. It was an invitation to discuss the evolution of the term "hipster," a term whose meaning seems to have changed considerably over time. I made the post because of Aser's recently revived thread and how the term gets thrown around a lot, even though 1) it seems like it's hard to define (beyond being negative) and 2) it doesn't mean to mean what it once did.

yeah i agree. i don't see what's so inherantly racist or smug about starting a thread about the word hipster. frankly, i am glad to see this brought up andn that there are people in here who agree with me that it's overused to the point of being generic and meaningless. also, i didn't get any holier-than-thou tone from hoggy's initial post...

what's the hell?

bringing up skintone in a post in which it wasn't needed only begged for a race debate. I don't really understand why Ross mentioned it in initial post and I'm kind of curious as to what he was eluding to.

This whole thread loks like it was started for no other reason but to insult those that are labeled hipsters. There was quite a few posts spouting some negativity at "hipster" folk. in my eyes its a bad look. Most people I know as hipsters are really into art, music, and books, they wear what they feel is appropriete hold down jobs and live their lives.

Why can't folks just be?
    judging dudes in a negative light cause they don't dress like you* is just immature and not neccasary

*hoggy I ain't saying thats what you were doing but god knows threads like this are breeding grounds for insults of those that are "different"

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    My learnings of the OG style hipster were defined by this:

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i don't have much of an opinion on this thread, except to say the word "hipster" has been so bastardized and abused that, at this point, it's totally meaningless as a descriptive term...

ie. hipsters are:

emo looking kids w/ dyed black hair, white belts, star tatoos, tight t-shirts listening to screamo... or, dudes in expensive jeans, and trucker hats listening to MIA... or publicists and A&R people wearing pink polo shirts, getting bottle service and hanging at Luke and Leroy... or dudes with AC/DC t shirts, shaggy beatles haircuts, and ripped jeans listening to Black Sabbath... or dudes wearing Kanye West Blazers, doing coke while listening to Bloc Party and Artic Monkeys... or white art students in fitted hats pretending to be from the ghetto while debating Papoose mix tapes... or anarchist bicycle messengers eating communal oatmeal while wearing black military baseball hats ...

fill in your own examples...

my point is, this doesn't exactly paint a coherent picture the way the term "hippie" or "homeboy" or "punker" does...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "homeboy"

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I just assumed that hipster was to 2006 what chav was to 2005. I.e. a term bandied about by the media to describe an ever wider range of people until it loses it's original point of reference.

now I hafta go find a pic of SoulMarcosa!

HI ANNA

Here's my best look.

As you can see, I'm nowhere near being

a dude with a Beatles haircut and some dagger-looking sideburns.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

a dude with a Beatles haircut and some dagger-looking sideburns.

Marco. Based on the Hipster Bingo Board game, wouldn't you fall under the "grandpa" hipster category?

Marco. Based on the Hipster Bingo Board game, wouldn't you fall under the "grandpa" hipster grup category?

http://newyorkmetro.com/news/features/16529/

• Several of the folks in that picture are longtime friends of mine and whatever your definition of hipster is, they don't meet it. The one dude Danny founded the Lyricist Lounge and another cat Life has been rocking open mikes for like 15 years, which is about as un-hip as it gets. Chill the fuck out with your stereotyping. It's especially comical coming from a dude with a Beatles haircut and some dagger-looking sideburns.

And two of the people in the first picture have been acquaintances of mine since 1988 or before.

My points were these:

3) Points 1 & 2 aside, judging people by the way they LOOK isn't the best way to determine who they ARE

Maybe I should do as you say and not as you do.

I just assumed that hipster was to 2006 what chav was to 2005. I.e. a term bandied about by the media to describe an ever wider range of people until it loses it's original point of reference.

I don't think anyone in the U.S. was bandying about "chav" in 2005 or any other year.

Maybe Anglocentric bloggeur terds were.

I don't think anyone in the U.S. was bandying about "chav" in 2005 or any other year.

I hope you're not implying that the UK doesn't matter.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

Oh, it matters quite a bit when we discuss phenomena such as the "chav"...

Oh, it matters quite a bit when we discuss phenomena such as the "chav"...

Not to mention the promotion and celebration of artists intent on killing hip hop.

Hooray for the UK!

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    trying to attack me as your defense to making a post about why people listed as hipsters either have racist undertones or something inferior about their personality is also very much

But foreally... That is not what my initial post either said or implied. You're the one seeing "racist undertones" in it. It was an invitation to discuss the evolution of the term "hipster," a term whose meaning seems to have changed considerably over time. I made the post because of Aser's recently revived thread and how the term gets thrown around a lot, even though 1) it seems like it's hard to define (beyond being negative) and 2) it doesn't mean to mean what it once did.

yeah i agree. i don't see what's so inherantly racist or smug about starting a thread about the word hipster. frankly, i am glad to see this brought up andn that there are people in here who agree with me that it's overused to the point of being generic and meaningless. also, i didn't get any holier-than-thou tone from hoggy's initial post...

what's the hell?

bringing up skintone in a post in which it wasn't needed only begged for a race debate. I don't really understand why Ross mentioned it in initial post and I'm kind of curious as to what he was eluding to.

if that's the case, why didn't you say anything in the "asian hipster girls" thread?

trying to attack me as your defense to making a post about why people listed as hipsters either have racist undertones or something inferior about their personality is also very much

what's the hell?

if that's the case, why didn't you say anything in the "asian hipster girls" thread?

A****y, you do realize who you're attempting to reason with, don't you?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

A****y, you do realize who you're attempting to reason with, don't you?

it's the guy from nine to five and war games isnt it?

• OG "Hipster Doofus"

Hipsters in the 40s and 50s were cool. They wrote some good books.

The most pertinent piece of info to come from this thread is that "hipster" now equals what "poseur" used to mean.

Maybe we should take the lead of Canadians and just start callin' fools "hosers" or "HOSEURS".

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    The most pertinent piece of info to come from this thread is that "hipster" now equals what "poseur" used to mean.

yes, hipster is the new poser. To me, no matter what color a person has, if they pose too hard, they're poseurs, simple as that. So we should use this term again, no doubt, it's timeless and striaghtforward so that no meaning can be effed up. I think over here in the 80's, poseurs was mainly used to describe skaters that were none. But I agree and do like JP and ask for a poseur graemlin once again...and leave those hipsters alone!!! They were cool!! Oh, btw, what happened to the term R'n'B?

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    ans and just start callin' fools "hosers" or "HOSEURS".

I heartily endorse this.