calling mac gurus!

DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
damn diggity.. looks like my ibook is on the fritz!!!not booting up at all... just a black screen and what sounds to be the regular startup but nothing happens. A few times its booted only to have the screen staret flickering and a total feeze up after about 5 minutes.I've tried resetting the PRAM to no avail. I've tried booting off a disc and it just goes blac kas well (though the drive makes al lthe regular startup noises. Once i got a bit of a staetup only to be met with a half black screen and a glitched ut looking folder.booting in target mode pulls the drives up o nmy g5's desktops.. and ive been able to pull the files off.. but after about ten minutes the drives just power dow nand its "device removal" time.ideas anybody?initially i thought its the drives.. but im also wondering if its the video card.ARGH!!

Comments

• might wanna check if the wires running from the screen to the board have become disconnected -- just pop the keyboard, and you should see them snaking back.

• kojackkojack 42 Posts
    have you tried attaching an external display? that would be a quick way to troubleshoot the screen. could also be the power supply.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    if that folder you get in the half screen has a question mark in it then your computer isn't seeing your OS...which means you need to reinstall the os. Could be a hard drive problem, could be a corrupt file. If I were you I'd get what I could off the drive with the os on it and then reformat it and reinstall your OS. If that doesn't work then it's your hard drive and you just need to put in a new one.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    do you have a g3 or g4 ibook............g3's had major logic board issues.

http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

but if it's a hard drive issue, run repairs on your drive first. With either the boot disc/disk utility, or diskwarrior or drive genius.