The Salty Peppers

jazzman21jazzman21 287 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
The Salty Peppers only recorded a few singles on capitol records, i'm trying to collect all their 45's, can yall help me fill in the blanks? Thanks*Capitol 2568 (1969) Your Love Is Life/Uh Huh Yeah

Comments

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    La La Time (parts 1 & 2) is also on Capitol. I think I have a spare copy for sale/trade. PM me if needed.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    This group went on to become Earth, Wind & Fire.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    The Salty Peppers[/b]

"La, La, La/ Pt. 2" (TEC 1014)
    "La La Time/ Pt. 2" (Capitol 2433) 1969
    "Uh Huh Yeah/ Your Love Is Life" (Capitol 2568)

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

For some reason, Capitol released the A-side on a various-artists compilation album (Super Soul-Dees, Vol. 3), even though I don't think it was a gigantic hit.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

For some reason, Capitol released the A-side on a various-artists compilation album (Super Soul-Dees, Vol. 3), even though I don't think it was a gigantic hit.

Probably because Capitol released such a small amount of soul
    that they had trouble filling comps with material.

No shit - that Curtis Knight acid-rock track on Vol. 2 (Hendrix on guitar) sounds wildly out of place...even though Dante and Terry C. love this label (and could probably think of a bunch of soul/funk one-offs they could have used), Capitol wasn't much of an R&B factory prior to 1975 or so.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    Capitol wasn't much of an R&B factory prior to 1975 or so.

Beg to differ, as Capitol issued hundreds of soul records on 45 from 1965-1975.
    The Thrills, Patrice Holloway, Alexander Patton, Impalas, General Crook, etc etc etc.

Capitol wasn't much of an R&B factory prior to 1975 or so.

Beg to differ, as Capitol issued hundreds of soul records on 45 from 1965-1975.
    The Thrills, Patrice Holloway, Alexander Patton, Impalas, General Crook, etc etc etc.

I'm not disagreeing...Capitol did have the black music talent (including the Fame and Invictus labels), it's just that it wasn't until the mid-seventies that they learned how to properly promote it. If they did, General Crook wouldn't have had to switch labels to get a hit.

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts

No shit - that Curtis Knight acid-rock track on Vol. 2 (Hendrix on guitar) sounds wildly out of place...even though Dante and Terry C. love this label (and could probably think of a bunch of soul/funk one-offs they could have used), Capitol wasn't much of an R&B factory prior to 1975 or so.

yow!!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    seeing how one of England's biggest northern soul all nighters was called the Capitol Soul Club in homage to the label makes the aforemnetioned statement puzzling to me.

seeing how one of England's biggest northern soul all nighters was called the Capitol Soul Club in homage to the label makes the aforemnetioned statement puzzling to me.

Did you see my EXPLANATION of that statement a few posts back?

I see I gotta repeat it again:

Capitol DID release some worthwhile soul classics in the 60's, but it wasn't till midway through the 70's that they had half a clue as to how to promote[/b] it.

That's why Natalie Cole was a superstar and Patti Drew WASN'T. Poor Patti had the misfortune of being on Capitol in the 60's, and even though she had her five minutes of fame, Capitol didn't have the juice to work her records they way they later pushed Natalie Cole's.

Read carefully, people. I wasn't implying Capitol didn't have ANY rhythm & blues in the 60's, but they were so busy with the Beatles, Beach Boys, Buck Owens, etc., that most of Capitol's soul recordings got lost in the shuffle, unless you were Lou Rawls. (And PLEASE don't tell me 'bout some lost Northern Soul classic that only the artist's mama bought! I'm talkin' about the actual charted HITS.)

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    The Salty Peppers[/b]

"La, La, La/ Pt. 2" (TEC 1014)
    "Uh Huh Yeah/ Your Love Is Life" (Capitol 2568)

• strikerstriker 146 Posts

Northern Soul was all about records that weren't successful so it kinda makes sense.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    They only had two on Capitol.

It is true that Capitol is known more for Anne Murray and Wayne Newton, but as far as 45's are concerned, one can't say that Capitol did not make a legitimate effort to cash in. They had their share of Motown knock-offs, and it was Capitol that did distribute Eddie Bo's "Lover And A Friend". Yet when it comes to soul, most people would think Atlantic and not Capitol, which makes finding a Capitol-related 45 interesting. The Salty Peppers are a perfect example, because that's Maurice White's band after he left Ramsey Lewis, and before EW&F came to be. The first two Ohio Players albums were on Capitol, before they started putting bald women in chains on their covers.

As someone said, the whole Northern Soul movement was done to show respect to the thousands of artists who didn't make it, but felt as good as "Dancing In The Streets" or "Green Onions". One man's Northern soul is another woman's hip-hop "golden era". The world may salute "Looking At The Front Door", others may salute Style's "What A Brother Know".

I do wish that Capitol, or at least EMI, would be respectful to their music as Warner Music has been to their deep catalog. There's only a small handful of Capitol-related comps compared to the wealth of compilations released by Warner in the past. Then again, there is that story of Capitol throwing out masters by the ton when they needed to make room for "other things", which is why the label was known for having some of the most valuable trash bins in the business.

A respected DJ and collector in these parts told me when he was putting together a compilation involving a Capitol-related artist, the EMI vaults were a mess. And this was in the last few years.