Rep your emo

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited December 2015 in Music Talk
I've been on a big kick latetly of buying music that wouldn't normally suit my tastes. Experimenting with a lot of emo music (Death Cab (awful), Postal Service (okay), etc.) Just picked up a Boards of Canada. I'm sure I'll catch flake for it but I'm digging the mellow groves on Twoism. Looking to pick up similar types. I caught some flake on a previous post months back when searching out indie rock (!!!,Le Tigre, etc.) and calling it emo so call this type whatever you want to call it. Looking for artist that excel at the genre.

Comments

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Fugazi and Minor Threat get constant roto over here, along with a fair bit of Husker Du.

• fugazi and minor threat = not emo.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    fugazi and minor threat = not emo.

I had to laught when I read that too.

• Today was all about "Sugar Kane" by Sonic Youth...

...totally connected to the teenage emo streets

• tirefiretirefire 203 Posts
    fugazi and minor threat = not emo.

Embrace was emo though.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

Yeah, he's pretty excellent. Didn't care for the last album so much though.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Sonic Youth & Boards of Canada = not emo

Anything accurately described as 'emo' from the past 10 years = garbage

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Wow, Lee Ranaldo got some Chaplin-style bowlegs.

• ja_bruceja_bruce 295 Posts
    Twoism is a good album , you shouldnt take any shit for liking it, great for late night headphone music. 

• instrumental 8+ minute compositions aren't emo

Boards of Canada, Broken Social Scene, Mogwai, etc. = a whole different catagory

Ben Kweller singing of teenage heartbreak = emo done well

New Amsterdamn "Never You Mind" = emo done well

Death Cab For Cutie "We Have The Facts & We're Voting Yes" = Emo Done good

who's down with Chappaquidick Skyline?

Anything Joe Pernice touches is pretty much golden.

The first album by the Anniversary was pretty emo and pretty aces.

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    some girl came up and requested "some emo" last night... this was at like 12:30 - 1:00 at a club where people are dancing and shit... i told her i didn't even know what that meant... about 5 minutes later, a guy came up and asked if me and him could have a "cut session" ... i asked him what the hell he was talking about, and he said i should just play some instrumentals while we scratched over it... i obviously didn't so either, but i think i would have gone with the emo if those were my only options

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    some girl came up and requested "some emo" last night... this was at like 12:30 - 1:00 at a club where people are dancing and shit... i told her i didn't even know what that meant... about 5 minutes later, a guy came up and asked if me and him could have a "cut session" ... i asked him what the hell he was talking about, and he said i should just play some instrumentals while we scratched over it... i obviously didn't so either, but i think i would have gone with the emo if those were my only options

I love hearing club stories. Makes me glad I don't play out.

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    I love hearing club stories. Makes me glad I don't play out.

i have a new one every fucking day, dude... i always talk about the bad ones on here, but i really do meet a lot of good, nice, complimentary people... there are always a few knuckleheads though

• I love hearing club stories. Makes me glad I don't play out.

i have a new one every fucking day, dude... i always talk about the bad ones on here, but i really do meet a lot of good, nice, complimentary people... there are always a few knuckleheads though

"do you have a microphone?!"

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

Yeah, he's pretty excellent. Didn't care for the last album so much though.

Please listen to it once more, PM me and lemme know. Such a beautiful record imo...

• I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    how would boards of canada even be remotely considered emo

• Had a bit of a moment to Built To Spill's "Else" this morning while walking. That is a fucking rock song. I really love that band....

On the lo-fi tips, tonight I'm going to see Bob Pollard. Tomorrow, the premiere of the Mission of Burma documentary.

Oh, and I think Death Cab is the worst fucking band in the history of the planet. Fake good music.

• ja_bruceja_bruce 295 Posts

Good call there even though I've only heard "Leave me alone" that I got from some indie mp3 blog. I'll look into them more now

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts
    Today was all about "Sugar Kane" by Sonic Youth...

Is it just me, or is Kim Gordon kind of hot? I never thought so when I was younger, but the older I get, I can't help to think she's got a little something happening there....NO?

• jbarkerjbarker 71 Posts
    I don't know if they're really classed as "emo", but I've been feeling these "alternative" albums.

Smog "A River Ain't Too Much To Love". I love the song Palimpset. Perfect hungover record.

Sufjan Stevens "Greetings From Michigan The Great Lakes State". Romulus is a great song. And the compositions on this are incredible. I like it more than Illinois.

Daniel Johnston makes whiney college kids seem ridiculous. "The Devil and Daniel Johnston" documentary is an amazing look at his life. Quite depressing though. This album "Rediscovered Covered" has a disc of his "Best Of", then a disc of covers of his music, from Death Cab for Cutie, Beck, Tom Waits, Bright Eyes, Calvin Johnston etc, pretty much all the darlings of the indie scene.

My girlfriend loves Jenny Lewis, so I've been hearing a lot of Rilo Kiley and Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins. It's not bad, maybe a bit too country for my tastes.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    on the recent indie tip, i've been listening to DESTROYER'S RUBIES and thinking it's quite exceptional.

Is it just me, or is Kim Gordon kind of hot? I never thought so when I was younger, but the older I get, I can't help to think she's got a little something happening there....NO?

Not in that pleather get-up she's got.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

I definitely had a thing for her in the past, like 15 years ago. But she's like 55 years old now.

MILF's:

GILF's:

• Out of curiousity, what did you like about the Rubies record? One of my good friends loves it, but after the first couple of listens it hasn't grabbed me. Things can get rather confusing with all of these sub genre classifications. See: indie rock, emo, post punk, shoe gazing rock, neo folk rock, mathrock, blah blah blah.

Some stuff I like, which I might (or might not) fit in to any of the above catagories.

I also love Songs Ohia and Feist, but I don't think they fit perfectly in to the emo genre. Honestly, the new hybrid of emo, is mostly super poppy drivel, and should be avoided at all costs. If you are interested in learning more, you should check out the Aquarius Records SF web site. They have lots of clips and lengthy reviews.