Brazilian recommendations

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I just picked this record up and really liked what I heard, strong percussive and jazzy samba(?). Not like the more commonly heard soft stuff that I associate with Getz and other americans doing samba. What else is there that is like this musically?

Comments

• puppup 133 Posts

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

That, is a dollar record.

This

is a

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Now that we are done goofing let's get to some recommendations of hard precussive stuff of the late 60s etc.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

This

is a

- spidey

Milton Banana Trio LPs - there are lots and they arent expensive
    Quarteto Novo - probably available on CD

I always liked Quarteto Em Cy and Tamba Trio LP "Som Definitivo" not so much aggressive, but very rough. Not the sacharine sweet stuff of gilberto.

*I never heard the LP you posted so I cant really tell what its like*

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts

This

is not

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    samples available here

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Elza Soares

That LP has a realy old sound/style to it, these are similar some are not as agressive but thaty have that meloncholy feel. Those are also pretty popular songs, so you can search the songs and see what other artists are playing them.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

That LP has a realy old sound/style to it, these are similar some are not as agressive but thaty have that meloncholy feel. Those are also pretty popular songs, so you can search the songs and see what other artists are playing them.

Thanks for your help. I read somewhere that there are better versions of those songs. I was really surprised at how hard the music was. Based on the the cover I just figured it would be lame but not at all. Is it your kind of thing?

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    this may be already known to you... but:

arthur verocai info and sound snippets

I dont really know that much about the music other than the actual music. But it sounds like the stuff that came from Bahia. I don't know what Favela means, it could be aregional style. The records I posted are also by artists from Bahia (I think) so they share some of the same qualities. And also Elza Soares is probably a good fit. The stuff on your record sounds like its from the early to mid sixties and much of the stuff coming out of the south at that time is all micky-mousey lots of brass and wood-block percussion and stuff really synchopated. I like that record though, its got a nice quality - sweet-sad. The Afro Samba record is good. Lots of call and response type stuff and really dark voodoo type sound.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I don't know what Favela means

Favela = Shanty town

Can I get a ? Thanks.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Verocai is much more rockish and later. If you listen to the clips I put up, you'll here it is very acoustic sounding but hard rythmically.

I don't know what Favela means

Favela = Shanty town

Can I get a ? Thanks.

Am i right though about the sound from Bahia being a lot darker. Some guy from Brazil told me once that everyone in Brazil knew that Vinicius made a pact with the devil in retturn for being a music career cause there were words in the songs that I would ask them what they meant, and he said they were bad words that I shouldnt say because they had magic powers or some shit like that.

Was he bullshitting me?

Thanks for your help. I read somewhere that there are better versions of those songs. I was really surprised at how hard the music was. Based on the the cover I just figured it would be lame but not at all. Is it your kind of thing?

The first time I bought a record on ebay because I was looking for Quarteto Novo (I heard them on one of the Blue Brazil LPs because mostly I listened to jazz) I bought Quarteto Em Cy Som Definitivo because I liked the cover. When I played it I was blown away. I owned just about all the Goetz LPs, Gilberto, Tjader, McFarland, Sergio Mendes stuff, but the voices were so much deeper and rough it blew me away and I havent bought anything but a brazilian record since.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Was he bullshitting me?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Quarteto Em Cy "Som Definitivo" is fucking out of control.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    woops didn't even listen to the clip and didn't even see that you posted about a specific type of brazilian music... my bad..

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Elza Soares

JLR, I just got the Elza Soares LP 'Sambas e Mais Sambas' with that awesome version of mas que nada on it, really hard and swinging, can you recommend anything else in this vein?

p.s. I also picked up the Claudette Soares (were they related?) LP with 'Caroline Carol Bela' on it and I like that a lot, too.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

"candomble" has that sound you're looking for. Maybe sabadababalla has this since he's a mighty collectro.

"candomble" has that sound you're looking for. Maybe sabadababalla has this since he's a mighty collectro.

i dont have that LP, it used to come up a lot on ebay but I guess I missed my chance - never see it anymore. But, I do have half of the tracks on a different RCA LP. I heard that there is a version of this LP where all the songs are sung in Portugese.

I have the CD though - and it is one of my favorites. I can always throw it on and it sounds as good as the first time I heard it.

Right now Im listening to a great Osmar Milito LP with Quarteto Forma I just got and its hot, and super mint quality with all the soap opera tracks on it.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    this may be already known to you... but:

arthur verocai info and sound snippets

This is one sick slab o wax!
    One thing I would like to know though.....my copy (the ubiquity reissue that is) sounds really off centred on 1 side.
    I have emailed Ubiquity and the shop I had purchased it from about this and they said all copies were like this.....too bad!
    Still major dopeness!

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    just some random brazilian stuff ive been listening to lately