Planet End - Larry Coryell

DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Thoughts?i went through once last night and can say that i felt it had a couple nice moments, i do like when wilder sounds resolve into something straight, but not sure there is enough payoff here. i really like the slower solo tune. Not looking for this to be a big money record or anything obviously, just wanted to see if anyone had opinions.peace

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I kept a copy I picked up at a garage sale a few years back. Haven't listened to it in about as many years.

Stiff Neck from Lady Coryell gets pulled down off of the shelf every now and then though.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

So true.

i really am a fan of those moments where noodling stops on a dime and everything opens up though. Is it worth piles of noodles to hit those moments? i say sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.

Billy Cobham brings it on one track very nicely.

Apologies for the vagaries i'd love to include song titles and upload mp3s (not of Planet End..dont worry) but i still dont have internet at home, i have to get a wireless router and a wireless card for my ancient computer (Windows ME ) so bare with me.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

This one is the only one of his I can stand of those I've heard so far... He needs to chill with the McLaughlin guitarity wankathons. Haven't heard the one you posted though.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

This one is the only one of his I can stand of those I've heard so far... He needs to chill with the McLaughlin guitarity wankathons. Haven't heard the one you posted though.

"Live At The Village Gate" is his Hendrix-tribute LP......that and Lady Coryell are the only two I dig.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    nice, i'll be on the lookout. If you dont like the bloobity, bloobity, bloo blop blip then you wont be into the whole of Planet End.

• All chime in....The first track "cover girl" is a great example of good fusion along with all the stuff with the Eleven House band on Planet End. On a whole the album is uneven due to the peppering of tracks froms the Spaces session that should have never made it to wax. I have all his early stuff and the one to grab is Fairyland. Its a a live trio set with Pretty Purdie on drums and Chauck Rainey on bass recorded in 71'. If you like guitar, this will cut your face off!

Coryell doesn't get the credit he deserves. The dude is a sick guitarist and pretty much invented jazz/rock fusion.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I have all his early stuff and the one to grab is Fairyland. Its a a live trio set with Pretty Purdie on drums and Chauck Rainey on bass recorded in 71'. If you like guitar, this will cut your face off!

I'm not too keen on guitar-driven fusion, but I'll co-sign on the qualities of "Fairyland". IMO, Larry kills it and Rainey/Purdie are rocksolid throughout. "Further Explorations For Albert J. Stinson" needs a loud revisit right now.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    "Live At The Village Gate" is his Hendrix-tribute LP......that and Lady Coryell are the only two I dig.

Co-signatured... The first track is oh so dope (didn't sdomeone sample this?), but the entire album is a pretty solid listen methinks (talking about the "live at the Village Gate" LP)...

- J

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    I have all his early stuff and the one to grab is Fairyland. Its a a live trio set with Pretty Purdie on drums and Chauck Rainey on bass recorded in 71'. If you like guitar, this will cut your face off!

I'm not too keen on guitar-driven fusion, but I'll co-sign on the qualities of "Fairyland". IMO, Larry kills it and Rainey/Purdie are rocksolid throughout. "Further Explorations For Albert J. Stinson" needs a loud revisit right now.

"stones" is the realness of FAIRYLAND. an absolute monster.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Here's reviews of 3 of his records. I'd agree with the previous post that "Coryell" is probably the best one.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/list.php?category=Jazz&page=17

• in retrospect, the bernard purdie ( ) era in my career was incomparable

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    you can't be larry coryell.

if you were truly he, your avatar would
    be a picture of yourself with a fine girl.