Folkways

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Are we beefing now?!?!

Yo, son, "sounds of insects" will work you!!!

You make good points though, especially about white people on ships & not singing. I really don't know what the lure is. My girlfriend (see pic) kinda got me into them & she is all "artsy & stuff", so I guess that there is an art-faggish kinda appeal to me about them. The covers are a big thing too. I mean really, the sound of a lot of the ethnic ones is almost identical to Lyrichord & nonesuch, which can be had for like $2 as opposed to $20...

• while i see your point, that the increasing trendiness of Folkways threatens to become another distraction from actual musical quality, i have to say that for me, at least, those pictures of the folkways LPs are fascinating because Folkways was a truly awesome organization with an admirable mission and a rather high and consistent level of quality. So while some of those LPs may suck (which is completely subjective anyway), i find it interesting and worthwhile to reflect on this legacy from a time when these kinds of releases were even possible. I mean, some (MOST) of the stuff they recorded would NEVER get released today. Not to mention the extreme open-mindedness of the company that allowed them to record M.L.Williams, S.W.Fabio, East NY Ensemble of Jazz, in addition to freaking insects, monks, and all kinds of stuff in between.

That said, the thought of 'diggers' dropping large $$ amounts on insect records because of the 'folkways' tag is annoying.

• Justin, dude some of that Folkways will make you dump blood from your you know what. I got some Equadorian shit that is like the most pre-funk shit ever. That shit is soulful and fug. It will make your balls drop to your socks. Turn that shit up loud and it will make your pubic hair stand on end.

The thing about it is that it is not recorded or presented in the same way as studio produced music. It is raw and flat. It demostrates an academic, objective, dry and conceptual understanding of it's subject.

Man I WISH I had all the one's I sold because this shit is the shit and it took me years to get into it. It used to sound like total crap to me so I understand where you are coming from.

Seriously, I know this sounds insane... But it is all I listen to anymore. All day, everyday.

ap

• RAER

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    lb & ap: good answers... thanks! i still dont like them (the ones that ive heard over the years) but im sure there is something of value to me on the label... i just havent heard it yet.

so until i find the... ahem!... bloodshitters, ill just send any folkways recs that i find over to you two.

lb & ap: good answers... thanks! i still dont like them (the ones that ive heard over the years) but im sure there is something of value to me on the label... i just havent heard it yet.

so until i find the... ahem!... bloodshitters, ill just send any folkways recs that i find over to you two.

SNUBBED!!!

• ahem!... bloodshitters

this thing i'm rocking in my avatar, Norman Riley- 'Underground Streets' is bloodshitTER. Not willing to part with the OG, but i'm down to circulate CDRs, cause heads need to know the deal, and if you go listen to those clips on the Folkways site, they REALLY don't do justice cause they sound all crappy compressed.

peace.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

SNUBBED!!!

crinkledick: good answer! i really like your writing and youre a swell guy. i dont know what girlfriend picture youre talking about but im sure shes gorgeous! your record collection stands the test of time and i was beyond foolish to knock the insect record. you are a true record guru and those that are not wise to this fact can suffer and be stabbed with a red hot poker...

poke... poke... poke...

SNUBBED!!!

crinkledick: good answer! i really like your writing and youre a swell guy. i dont know what girlfriend picture youre talking about but im sure shes gorgeous! your record collection stands the test of time and i was beyond foolish to knock the insect record. you are a true record guru and those that are not wise to this fact can suffer and be stabbed with a red hot poker...

poke... poke... poke...

I was prepared to hold a grudge to the death, but that is an excellent apology. I accept.

• justin: your high steppin' $100 funk 45 does nothing for me... give me something i can really rardical... like some Iranian dude wreckin' it on a Kemanche and shit. Santur jamz fo life. FUK A BREAK!

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts

like some Iranian dude wreckin' it on a Kemanche and shit. Santur jamz fo life. FUK A BREAK!

I'll dick-ride this!

• I can't speak for everybody, but I like checking out OTHER shit. I pay money to listen to some bay guy lose his shit on a saxophone just like I like listening to terry riley "persian surgery dervishes". Like pearson said, it's a chance to check out something you previously didn't even know existed.

• TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING...

• TICKLE MY PICKLE

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    Great stuff...but what about bluegrass? Now some ya'll may snub it,
    but to me it's funk country style. Folkways did put some out...let
    see them covers Folkway guru's!

If you want to really reach out and touch my heart and soul,
    stuff along the lines of female vocals and strong female
    chorus. Yeee Hawww!

• bluegrass is sik and the muthafuggin fiddle is trippy as fuck...

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    both of these are very raer

• mutherfuckin' FOLKWAYS and shit you mutherfucking CUNTS...

• you all are a bunch of mutherfukin' herbs...

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    can any you folkways freaks help me get at a copy of that Cha Cha Shaw - Into Morning LP. Been tracking that one for a second....

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    The Folkways I like are the field recordings of music from regions and areas of the world I may never be able to see, much less hear the indigenous music of. It makes an album 10 times the worth for me too to get a booklet telling me details about these people, what each song means, and alot of the times you get the story of the journeys the recorder took to hunt down the musicians, the situation of the recording, all that cool stuff. Its very humbling listening to these ancient tongues singing and jamming their souls out the hardest they know how on whatever equipment nature provides.

• can any you folkways freaks help me get at a copy of that Cha Cha Shaw - Into Morning LP. Been tracking that one for a second....

i got that shit... long sloppy funky jazz tracks in a raw style. love that shit... it's raer.

• The Folkways I like are the field recordings of music from regions and areas of the world I may never be able to see, much less hear the indigenous music of. It makes an album 10 times the worth for me too to get a booklet telling me details about these people, what each song means, and alot of the times you get the story of the journeys the recorder took to hunt down the musicians, the situation of the recording, all that cool stuff. Its very humbling listening to these ancient tongues singing and jamming their souls out the hardest they know how on whatever equipment nature provides.

you got that right brother...

i'm a hella ready for some more of this shit. we had a mexican folk music ethnic folkways crankin today in the garage... was some seista oriented shit. mellow as fug.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    can any you folkways freaks help me get at a copy of that Cha Cha Shaw - Into Morning LP. Been tracking that one for a second....

i got that shit... long sloppy funky jazz tracks in a raw style. love that shit... it's raer.

agreed. but answer the question- can you help me get a copy of.....

• breaks are for herbs, folkways is for players.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    you can keep that Joe Venuti and his blue sac to yourself freak!

• can any you folkways freaks help me get at a copy of that Cha Cha Shaw - Into Morning LP. Been tracking that one for a second....

agreed. but answer the question- can you help me get a copy of.....

uh... no, sorry... but it does have long sloppy funky jazz tracks in a raw style.

i can take a picture of it for you or something... burn a CD?

AP