Rufus Harley

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Found this killer track on Funk 45 radio. http://68.40.188.159:7000/playlist.cgi?psearch=rufus+harleyIs the rest of his stuff as banging? I understand that he doesn't use bagpipes on all his songs.

Comments

• i've never heard a song that he doesn't.

he has one funky album on atlantic. i own all his others tho, i am a fan.

• i've never heard a song that he doesn't.

he also plays sax and flute.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    He's got a private/indie one that is really funky.

• Options
    Re-Creation fo the Gods (Ankh)

K.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Funny story about Rufus. My brother-in-law edited a magazine at Swarthmore in the early 90s. For some reason they got hooked into Rufus who lives in Philadelphia (where Swarthmore is located) and ran an interview with him. About 5 years later my brother in-law asked Rufus to lead the processional at his wedding. Rufus wanted to do it but had a prior engagement that prevented him from being there. I would have loved to have seen all my (very square) relatives faces as a 6'5" dreadlocked black man, playing jazz bagpipes, got down on some shit under the hoopa. According to my brother-in-law. Rufus was duder than dude, a truly giving and gracious soul.

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts

check his new one as well. crazy cover of a love supreme on it. (i know a bagpipe version of a love supreme might not sound appealing but it's better than it probably sounds). yeah, apparently he's an amazing guy. hasn't had solid food in decades and wears robes and stuff.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I understand that he doesn't use bagpipes on all his songs.

i've never heard a song that he doesn't.

Not quite. This one (as mentioned by soufriere)

has him playing electric soprano sax on several of the tracks. "Etymology" is my favorite on it, and it only features his sax playing. I might post audio later if I have the time.

The track that Arcadian is talking about ("Malika") is also from this album. It was comped years ago by Luv'N'Haight on:

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Anyone seen that live Rufus Harley DVD, it's split with a Sun Ra performance. Pretty fun stuff (his rap/monologue is especially amusing). I have all his records except that one on Ankh, I never can find it for cheap. The drummer in my new band knows a guy locally who had a few live Rufus Harley reel to reels from the late 60s. I'm begging for him to get in touch with the guy again & make me copies. I sat down & ripped four of his LPs for the Real Headz thread one after another one day, seriously just about drove me insane. I think one side of an LP is enough to put yourself through at any one sitting.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    hasn't had solid food in decades and wears robes and stuff.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    hasn't had solid food in decades and wears robes and stuff.

Sounds like this post belongs on waxidermy...

• I understand that he doesn't use bagpipes on all his songs.

i've never heard a song that he doesn't.

Not quite. This one (as mentioned by soufriere)

has him playing electric soprano sax on several of the tracks. "Etymology" is my favorite on it, and it only features his sax playing. I might post audio later if I have the time.

The track that Arcadian is talking about ("Malika") is also from this album. It was comped years ago by Luv'N'Haight on:

pardon me, iwas wrong and unaware. thanks for the correction.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

• cold as ice.