I'm in Vancouver, BC. What's Really Crack?!?

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Holy shit. i walked blindly into the most crackhead infested shit i've ever seen. Downtown Vancouver has a problem.anyways.. come through... http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=629236&an=0&page=0#Post629236

Comments

• yes, there are a few crackheads on east hastings but on the other hand there are some good chinese bakeries in that hood so not all is lost. here are my reccomendations:

1. all you can eat japanese food-for price and quality you can't beat the late nate special at tanpopo on denman st. 12 bucks gets you all the japaenese food you can handle and its good. you can't lose.

2. don;t waste your time going to any record stores casue they totally suck here...with rare exceptions, either it has been picked over or the prices are waaay to high. Most people will tell you to go to zulu on 4th but that place is totally whack unless you're looking for some sonic youth cd or shit like that. Vinyi has the best selection and by far the worst prices. I have a few hundred little guys for sale, if you are interested pm me and i'll hook you up with some deals.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Kintaro Ramen - firehouse ramen special only served on Saturdays is it. One of the best on the continent.

Tojo's - if you want to ball, the best sushi you can get. Real wasabi here, no fake horseradish. Cool crisp waters makes for fresh seafood.

Lumiere - more bourgieness, but great classical French w/ Canadian influences. You can hop next door to Feenie's for a cheaper alternative.

Lots of excellent dim sum in Vancouver also, better than NYC.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    Hit up Vij's for some Indian food...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    How was the ride up with the Seattle boys? Good talking to all of youse at the night owl.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    To chime in on the restaurants...

I have to second Tojo... restaruant is a bit in the middle of nowhere, but got-damn it was delicious. We went with the omikase, and they just kept bringing out plate after plate of superiour sushi.

Also, JoeMojo is right on the money about Vij's - that place is awesome - there's no reservations, so you might have to wait, but they even make waiting nice! There's this little back couch area and Vij comes by and gives you a snack and you have a beer and it's lovely. The food is excellent.

Another fun Vancouver restarant was this one called (I think) Goo (Gu?) it's like Japanese tapas, weird foods that you don't normally see in Japanese restaruants (at least, I don't). I think there are two locations.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i ended up taking the train up here. Sea town boys rolled back post night owl.

i hit that place vinyl yesterday and they are INDEED overpriced. Shorty at the counter was definitely flashing smiles, but my game was immediately depleated by my cheapskate hagglings with the owner. I have some serious time to kill. what should i do in this place?? i heard there's a pretty well attended dancehall night on wednesdays. thinking about rolling through that. those mountains are NO JOKE. is their a tram or something to get up there?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    How was the ride up with the Seattle boys? Good talking to all of youse at the night owl.

Didn't happen. We were bumpin Delay's random rap cd mix on the drive home though...

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    take the bus to whistler, rent some equipment, go snowboarding?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    maybe i'll go to whistler a day early and do that. i'm playing there friday night, but i gotta leave in the morning to come back to Van. I heard the scenery on the way is unfuckwitable.

• Options
    Don't look out the window left or right ont he way up - that road is ghetto. BEautiful part of the country. You should've booked in Calgary and done the drive through the Rockies.

K.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Don't look out the window left or right ont he way up - that road is ghetto. BEautiful part of the country. You should've booked in Calgary and done the drive through the Rockies.

K.

Banff is that shit.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Theres a sik trek in whistler that ends with a mountain top glacier dipping in to lake.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    t*m,
    that rap mix was sick as fuck. sorry about flaking the fuck out, and that i was shorter than i act on the SS ... are you heading back down this way at any point?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    t*m,
    sorry about flaking the fuck out, and that i was shorter than i act on the SS ...

That's exactly what I was thinking.....But I never would have said it.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    haha. eat your weaties, dude.

i will be back there monday. you gonna be around?? i'll give you a ring.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I was in Oregon last year and we were supposed to head up to Vancouver but apparently in the Pacific Northwest that have this white shit that falls from the sky called snow that sometimes makes travel impossible. They don't have that stuff here in Houston.

I don't like this snow stuff, it is cold when you touch it and it scares me.
    Be careful man.