2»

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    This is just uninformed hate.

I think you just summed up at least half the posts on SoulStrut

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

People need to realize that hate & research work better together. Hate alone is not good enough.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

People need to realize that hate & research work better together. Hate alone is not good enough.

My first laugh of the day! Thank you.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    For instance, as a new artist on Interscope, You give up 50% of your publishing off top, no questions asked.

Who to? If giving up 50% of your publishing is a pre-requisite of signing a record deal with Interscope, I'd sign with someone else. That's some 1950's Hesh Rabkin-type shit, and it doesn't make any sense to me. A co-publishing deal with a major publisher is one thing, but even then you'd get your songs back at some point, and your co-publisher would normally only retain the publisher share of BMI/ASCAP etc at the end of the term.

you give up 50% to Interscope. That's their standard take it or leave it if you want to be on their label. I agree it doesn;t make sense, but then again alot of artists are just trying to get their foot in the door and make a name for themselves and will do it in order to get that Dre track, or the marketing dollars and then jump ship.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I bet in the next couple of years you'll see Puffy drop the super extravagant lifestyle.

If not, look for him to declare bankruptcy.

This is just uninformed hate. Puff is getting more money than ever. He no longer relies upon music, nor is he particularly interested in it.

Please believe that if he were to shift his focus back to music, he would very quickly be on top of the game again.

Hey, I don't hate Puffy. I met him once. Seemed like a really nice guy. I'm just talking about at which the rate he spends. The dude is a hustler for sure. I'm just saying, it can all disappear tomorrow. Any of you think it can't? Your lying to urself. All it takes is one bad investment or one person in ur camp to bleed you dry.

Happens every day.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    TI owns a number of businesses, is that not stereotypical enough for you Adam?

And also purchases/collects fine art, from what I heard. Would that be considered extravagance?

Depends on the artists he's collecting. High end Sothenby Auctions or local college art. If he's payin' for someone to manage his collection,then that's extravagant compared to regular rappers.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    For instance, as a new artist on Interscope, You give up 50% of your publishing off top, no questions asked.

Who to? If giving up 50% of your publishing is a pre-requisite of signing a record deal with Interscope, I'd sign with someone else. That's some 1950's Hesh Rabkin-type shit, and it doesn't make any sense to me. A co-publishing deal with a major publisher is one thing, but even then you'd get your songs back at some point, and your co-publisher would normally only retain the publisher share of BMI/ASCAP etc at the end of the term.

you give up 50% to Interscope. That's their standard take it or leave it if you want to be on their label. I agree it doesn;t make sense, but then again alot of artists are just trying to get their foot in the door and make a name for themselves and will do it in order to get that Dre track, or the marketing dollars and then jump ship.

I've no idea who your source is, and plaese not to take this as a dis, but I'm afraid I have to call bullshit here. Sure, you might be offered an inducement to assign your publishing to Interscope's related publishing company, and that's very different from a take-it-or-leave-it offer, but for a major label to make it a standard clause - and a deal-breaker at that - in all their recording contracts is extremely unusual in this day and age. Shadier indies, maybe, but I'd have expected a major to have abandoned those kind of practices a long time ago. I know a lawyer with some high-up connects at Interscope, so I'm going to ask her if she can confirm this.

And acts don't really "jump ship" from record deals - just ask Ras Kass how easy it is to do that.

I've no idea who your source is, and plaese not to take this as a dis, but I'm afraid I have to call bullshit here. Sure, you might be offered an inducement to assign your publishing to Interscope's related publishing company, and that's very different from a take-it-or-leave-it offer, but for a major label to make it a standard clause - and a deal-breaker at that - in all their recording contracts is extremely unusual in this day and age. Shadier indies, maybe, but I'd have expected a major to have abandoned those kind of practices a long time ago. I know a lawyer with some high-up connects at Interscope, so I'm going to ask her if she can confirm this.

And acts don't really "jump ship" from record deals - just ask Ras Kass how easy it is to do that.

Source is direct form the horses mouthm, from a bunch of people that work at Interscope. Right now if you sign to Interscope/Aftermath or Interscope/Shady, or Interscope/G-UNit, Interscope is taking 50% and Shady/AFtermath/G-Unit is taking 25%, leaving you the artist with 25%. I agree its dumb on the artists' side, but Iovine is not fucking around with the industry in the state that it is and they know they are pretty much on top as far as record label is conceerned. And understand this is all new artists I am talking about (not 50, dre, eminem etc.). And what I meant by jumping ship is after their contract is up or if someone buys them out of their deal. Ras Kass never fulfilled his contract, but he signed a stupid deal.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    TI owns a number of businesses, is that not stereotypical enough for you Adam?

I'm not calling out the stereotypes, I'm calling out the dudes bragging on whether they actually live what they say/ encourage or not. My alterior motive in this thread is much more transparent than what you think

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Source is direct form the horses mouthm, from a bunch of people that work at Interscope. Right now if you sign to Interscope/Aftermath or Interscope/Shady, or Interscope/G-UNit, Interscope is taking 50% and Shady/AFtermath/G-Unit is taking 25%, leaving you the artist with 25%. I agree its dumb on the artists' side, but Iovine is not fucking around with the industry in the state that it is and they know they are pretty much on top as far as record label is conceerned. And understand this is all new artists I am talking about (not 50, dre, eminem etc.). And what I meant by jumping ship is after their contract is up or if someone buys them out of their deal. Ras Kass never fulfilled his contract, but he signed a stupid deal.

OK, I stand corrected. I spoke to my lawyer friend, and she said that no manager worth their salt would encourage their client to sign a deal like that unless the terms were at least as good, if not better, than those available elsewhere. That said, the set-up doesn't sound a whole lot different from the kind of co-publishing deals that are standard in the US (they don't really exist in the UK - straightforward administration in the artist's favour is more common), but it does sound like there might be potential for an act to find themselves facing the same scenario The Lox had with Puffy. Jimmy Iovine might want to keep an eye out for falling white goods.

It's a lot more common for publishers to tie up an act before they have a record deal than it used to be, though, and help them shop for a deal afterwards. This Interscope move seems more geared towards acts without existing deals, or those with little idea of the risks involved when your record company is also your publisher.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    One man's decadence is another mans starvation.

Wrong. You may resent cam for pushing the bentley but I doubt the blue collar dudes employed by bentley share that resentment.

Over your head.

OK, I stand corrected. I spoke to my lawyer friend, and she said that no manager worth their salt would encourage their client to sign a deal like that unless the terms were at least as good, if not better, than those available elsewhere. That said, the set-up doesn't sound a whole lot different from the kind of co-publishing deals that are standard in the US (they don't really exist in the UK - straightforward administration in the artist's favour is more common), but it does sound like there might be potential for an act to find themselves facing the same scenario The Lox had with Puffy. Jimmy Iovine might want to keep an eye out for falling white goods.

It's a lot more common for publishers to tie up an act before they have a record deal than it used to be, though, and help them shop for a deal afterwards. This Interscope move seems more geared towards acts without existing deals, or those with little idea of the risks involved when your record company is also your publisher.

Oh no doubt, anyone with half a brain wouldn't be interested (especially thee days) in a major deal. The worst part is cats like the Game who aren't getting anything. 50% to Interscope, 25% to G-Unit, and the last 25% to his management company... He literally only has points on sales and whatever he gets for show and putting out stuff like the Stop Snitchin DVD... ITs bad for those that only want to get on a major and have no name.

• that would be my likely candidate list... Your average rapper, especially new are getting reamed royally... For instance, as a new artist on Interscope, You give up 50% of your publishing off top, no questions asked.
    you're talking out your ass homebwoy.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    master p has a gucci helicopter from what i remember

that would be my likely candidate list... Your average rapper, especially new are getting reamed royally... For instance, as a new artist on Interscope, You give up 50% of your publishing off top, no questions asked.

Nope, feel free to ask anyone on the urban side what the deal is over there. Its not a one source issue homie, its from multiple people at multiple levels saying the same shit.

• that would be my likely candidate list... Your average rapper, especially new are getting reamed royally... For instance, as a new artist on Interscope, You give up 50% of your publishing off top, no questions asked.

Nope, feel free to ask anyone on the urban side what the deal is over there. Its not a one source issue homie, its from multiple people at multiple levels saying the same shit.

wrong. seriously hommie, I got an artist on Interscope, they don't do any such thing, I don't have to ask anyone on any "side" what the deal is. Maybe your hommies don't understand publishing, but what you're asserting is patently false.

Is your artist signed to G-Unit/Aftermath/Shady and Interscope? Because if its some rock shit then its handled different.

[sarcasm]But then again you are right. I am not in the meetings and I guess I shouldn't be taking what people that work their and participate in these meetings watching these deals get inked for their word. Instead I should defer to the person on soulstrut that has an artist signed there[/sarcasm]

• Is your artist signed to G-Unit/Aftermath/Shady and Interscope? Because if its some rock shit then its handled different.

[sarcasm]But then again you are right. I am not in the meetings and I guess I shouldn't be taking what people that work their and participate in these meetings watching these deals get inked for their word. Instead I should defer to the person on soulstrut that has an artist signed there[/sarcasm]

Wait, so your word of mouth little game of telephone should be given more creedence than the Interscope agreement I have right in front of me? Doggs, I speak to the head dude at G Unit every couple of days and do a substantial amount of business with them, you stock their promos in your wack ass record store. But hey, thanks for continuing the fine soulstrut tradition of speaking on what you know not. For the record, GUnit has a publishing deal/finders situation through Universal, but that shit is not "taking" anyone's publishing, they give out standard co-pub deals with big checks attached to them. I'm glad your friend tells you neato stuff about what happens at the record label

Me: speaking facts, straight from contracts and first-hand knowledge.
    You: another soulstrut gossiping bitch.

[Sarcasm] But you MUST be telling the truth, because some anonymous guy TOLD you it's true.[/sarcasm]

And not for nothing, but why are your anonymous friends getting their dry-snitch on about what happens where they work? Oh yeah, they probably aren't.

Is your artist signed to G-Unit/Aftermath/Shady and Interscope? Because if its some rock shit then its handled different.

Wait, so your word of mouth little game of telephone should be given more creedence than the Interscope agreement I have right in front of me? Doggs, I speak to the head dude at G Unit every couple of days and do a substantial amount of business with them, you stock their promos in your wack ass record store. But hey, thanks for continuing the fine soulstrut tradition of speaking on what you know not. For the record, GUnit has a publishing deal/finders situation through Universal, but that shit is not "taking" anyone's publishing, they give out standard co-pub deals with big checks attached to them. I'm glad your friend tells you neato stuff about what happens at the record label

Me: speaking facts, straight from contracts and first-hand knowledge.
    You: another soulstrut gossiping bitch.

[Sarcasm] But you MUST be telling the truth, because some anonymous guy TOLD you it's true.[/sarcasm]

And not for nothing, but why are your anonymous friends getting their dry-snitch on about what happens where they work? Oh yeah, they probably aren't.

ha hilarious. Dry-snitch? You're doing the same thing on a message board and are all but dropping names. Yeh I do lend more creedance to people that see a hundred of these contracts go through their hands daily than one guy on a message board that does some work for G-Unit. Furthermore, its coming from multiple people. Get all asshurt all you want, but I'm done with this little pissing contest.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Gentlemen, take a breath and count to ten.