Blue Note album covers

jazzman21jazzman21 287 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Yes, another thread on album covers. Been looking at some blue note albums, it's amazing how consistenly great the covers were. I mean when I look at a cover like Herbie's Maiden Voyage, when I first looked at it, it looked like a man sitting at a grand piano, then recently I discovered another image....a man sitting on a sail boat. Trippy! Anyone else see it or is it just me? Anyway the cover just takes me to a whole other place if you know what I mean, as if i'm going on a voyage...a maiden voyage. OK OK 2 much info HAHA. BTW, was it Alfred Lion who took these pics and/or drew them or someone else?

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Have to admit, never saw a piano on the Maiden Voyage cover -
    always just looked like a sailboat to me...

Do you have the BN cover book? Definitely worth copping,
    nice oversize prints of many of the best covers. Can generally
    be found for cheap, I got mine at a remainder spot for $6.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

This has always been and will always be a sail boat. Not tripy. Just a sail boat.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I mean when I look at a cover like Herbie's Maiden Voyage, when I first looked at it, it looked like a man sitting at a grand piano

Dude, I wonder what you see in one of those crazy ass psych records covers.

Oh, I always thought it was Herbie sitting at a Fender Rhodes

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts
    BTW, was it Alfred Lion who took these pics and/or drew them or someone else?

most of cover art between 1956 and 67 was designed by reid miles with the photographies of francis wolff

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Yes, another thread on album covers. Been looking at some blue note albums, it's amazing how consistenly great the covers were. I mean when I look at a cover like Herbie's Maiden Voyage, when I first looked at it, it looked like a man sitting at a grand piano, then recently I discovered another image....a man sitting on a sail boat. Trippy! Anyone else see it or is it just me? Anyway the cover just takes me to a whole other place if you know what I mean, as if i'm going on a voyage...a maiden voyage. OK OK 2 much info HAHA. BTW, was it Alfred Lion who took these pics and/or drew them or someone else?

jazzman21 jazzboy15

jazzman21 jazzboy15

Trippy! I thought it said one thing but it says another.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    wheres that link to the Japanese guy that has every blue note 10" front and back posted. That always puts my collecting in perspective.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Trippy!

wheres that link to the Japanese guy that has every blue note 10" front and back posted. That always puts my collecting in perspective.

That dude always makes me feel like I have really nice furniture.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

This has always been and will always be a sail boat. Not tripy. Just a sail boat.

So its not a scooner?

makes me feel grandsonned even.

Vintage Vanguard

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Vintage Vanguard

http://gokudo.co.jp/Record/BlueNote1/index.htm

• wheres that link to the Japanese guy that has every blue note 10" front and back posted. That always puts my collecting in perspective.

Vintage Vanguard

Don't forget to stop in Aquarium Zone and Cactus Plaza while you're there.

Check out dudes cars. This guy us all. Even in seashell and reptile collecting.

http://www.gokudo.co.jp/index2.htm

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Check out dudes cars. This guy us all. Even in seashell and reptile collecting.

http://www.gokudo.co.jp/index2.htm

just glad he doesnt collect Brazilian records.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I want this dude to be my friend.

This dude blows my mind.

just glad he doesnt collect Brazilian records.

Don't tet.

this might be him?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    But he kind of sons himself on My Favorite Records. Rather a lot of white wimmin jazz singers. And Sting.

But he kind of sons himself on My Favorite Records. Rather a lot of white wimmin jazz singers. And Sting.

No person could have time to actually enjoy something at that level. Plus, once you get past Blue Note related shit, audiophiles have notoriously godawful taste.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Plus, once you get past Blue Note related shit, audiophiles have notoriously godawful taste.

So true, $ 10000 turntables to play Kenny Rogers MFSLs

Plus, once you get past Blue Note related shit, audiophiles have notoriously godawful taste.

thats when you start listening to Living Stereo because you like the Megahertz response levels and shit like that.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

thats when you start listening to Living Stereo because you like the Megahertz response levels and shit like that.

well, that's not a problem for you, all brazilian pressings are sonically a terd

Don't front on Lewis Layton, bitch.

well, that's not a problem for you, all brazilian pressings are sonically a terd

you take that back right now!