New Faith Evans LP + new r'n'b/hiphop LP vinyl

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
So far I'm digging what I've heard from Faith's THE FIRST LADY album. - "Again" has a good contemporary r'n'b feel w/ the Whatnauts sample.- "I Don't Need It" (avail. on Capitol promo 12") is a good neo-soul track with a "modern soul" / 80s jazzfunk groove.- Another tune reps a 70s funk sound that was actually kinda surprising to hear. Overall this seems like a really good diverse effort, and I'm not even a Faith Evans fan. Opinions anyone? Problem is, the double album appears to only available in vinyl in Europe, at about 18 quid/Euros. I like it, but not THAT much. Do you know if this album on vinyl in the USA?And in general, where do ya'll get current hiphop & r'n'b albums that are difficult to find on vinyl? TTL, DG, 12Spot, and our local spot 4-4 get albums in from time to time, but I'd like to know of another online domestic source when those run dry. As a sidenote, what I've heard of the Amerie album isn't anywhere close to "1 Thing," though I copped a bootleg 12" with 3 tracks (ones that were leaked and not on the official release, I think) that is pretty good.

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    You sir deserve a late pass [/b]. It's a pretty dope album, I thought it would be way polished and on some beyonce knowles shit but old girls got some sharon jones-esque on there. I liked this one track where she singing over that George Benson "footin' it" loop...

And yo...there' a Promo EP Sampler with selected cuts, I've only seen it online in the UK...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I really like this record, too. On paper, it's not at all my type of thing, but I love Again and Mesmerised. I got a promo CD and I find I keep putting it on. She's got a terrific voice - she was trained in jazz I think.

Mr.SoulMarcosa - I might be able to get vinyl copy of it for around $20 USD - let me know if you're interested and I'll investigate.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    ADRIANA EVANS

that is all....

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    you rock for bringing this to my attention

my bol never called you I bet. he is even more of a hermit than me

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    [ As a sidenote, what I've heard of the Amerie album isn't anywhere close to "1 Thing, though I copped a bootleg 12 with 3 tracks (ones that were leaked and not on the official release, I think) that is pretty good.
    I heard Amerie album last night. She's got one more guaranteed club banger.
    She has some interesting production from R.Harrison.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    This album is so bland, i can't even believe people go out and buy this kind of thing, i picture tacky girls listening to it before nights out, it deserves to stay on the shelf.
    Yes she has a good voice but doesn't use it in a classy way...
    it's a snooze-a-thon... .

Faith can sing but she'll always be a second tier r&b diva.
    Right underneath the Marys and Beyonces. She's just not a first team All R&B
    player. Just a role player following trends instead of setting them.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Just a role player following trends instead of setting them.

Even considering she coached and cowrote much of Mary's early work?

Yes even considering. This still doesnt translate to solo stardom.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

While not as big as Mary J or Beyonce, her career isn't anything to sneeze at. Her first two albums, both platinum right? First one is a classic.

While not as big as Mary J or Beyonce, her career isn't anything to sneeze at. Her first two albums, both platinum right? First one is a classic.

My contemporary r&b collection wouldn't need her 1rst album.
    Its not essential at all. She's Boba Fett to Blige's Jenga Fett.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    My contemporary r&b collection

includes...

My contemporary r&b collection

includes...

Debbie Boone "Live at Fort Apache"

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    ADRIANA EVANS

that is all....

How is her new album? I have the single (the one with the battle of the beats remix) I thought it was cool.

I told a homie of mine that her first album was a few years ahead of its time, like if it came out after D'Angelo's Brown Sugar and Erykah Badu's first LP she would of gotten more attention/sales.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    dude, i love this album. and im not afraid to say it.

see, at first i was kinda on the fence about my masulinity. i mean, i mentioned that i liked that lead single and kingmost signed off on that. which by all accounts may have been the AYO kiss of death. and then my gay homey who i roll with said that shit was gay and i was like "the song is gay?" and he's like "no, youre gay for liking that shit." but he bought that new mariah cd and bumps it in his rav4 on the daily.

but i digress, then my lil cousins were clowning me cuz i like "that slow jam sissy stuff" and i really had no comeback for that. but the fact remains that this is a great record and the lady sings great and i get all "mmm-hmmm girl!" when she drops the smooth lyrics.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    but i digress, then my lil cousins were clowning me cuz i like "that slow jam sissy stuff" and i really had no comeback for that.

psssssh.... tell those twerps they were conceived to that slow jam sissy stuff.... that might shut em up

• I like this album. The remix with Ghostface for Again is good too.