JAPANESE WARP SHREDDER

francislaifrancislai 371 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
i have been hearing that this is the new style in japan. most stores have these good quality sure shot de-warping machines. i know a couple major suppliers to japan (mainly 12's hip hop and dance) they have told me buyers from japan are now going out of their way to buy up the warped records at dolllar bin prices. anyone here have knowledge of the warping machine? or have a sureshot method to get rid of warps (preferably one that doesn't involve the oven!)????

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    i have been hearing that this is the new style in japan. most stores have these good quality sure shot de-warping machines. i know a couple major suppliers to japan (mainly 12's hip hop and dance) they have told me buyers from japan are now going out of their way to buy up the warped records at dolllar bin prices.

anyone here have knowledge of the warping machine? or have a sureshot method to get rid of warps (preferably one that doesn't involve the oven!)????

You can buy the "de-warper" at Disk Union in Shibuya... about $500 from memory... would be a good investment for a store... even offer the service to customers (who sign a disclaimer incase anything fucks up)...

peace.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i would pay $$$$$ to use this if a store in ny or philly were to get one. if it worked, of course.

i've been sitting on a couple great warped records and i'm too scared to use macgyver magnifying glass and a matchstick tactics to repair them.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    pretty sure it's a lot more than $500, closer to $2000.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    This past january was dewarping season in the south hemisphere. I abandoned the oven method for a classic glass sandwich in the hot summer sun. Half an hour is the magic time. As I was expecting, this works pretty well when the whole record is warped. When the warp is localized, it fucked up the records til the point that it makes them unplayable. Beware, and always use some "sacrifice" records first for preliminary testing.

• it is really worth about 500-2000. i have a couple 400 records that i can't sell because of the fucking warps. also about 10 copies of a $150 12" that are all warped. i'd be down to sacrifice a couple of these here warpies just to save my ass in the future. plus, it is a nice bargaining tool. get some MEAN deals with that lil sucker.

• sheep,
    if you have anytime do us all a favor and find out how much those machines are (and where to cop). the info is being kept fairly quiet (i'm sure for a reason) only way i know is from some nice japanese buyer who leaked.

we usa'ers need to keep up with this advanced technological game the japanese are running (even the record nerd industry?....ammm.)

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    How warped are we talking here?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Its not THAT secret... we had a thread on it here a while back, nobody thought it was worth the investment at the time

If the search function weren't so lame I'd try to dig it up

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    sheep,
    if you have anytime do us all a favor and find out how much those machines are (and where to cop). the info is being kept fairly quiet (i'm sure for a reason) only way i know is from some nice japanese buyer who leaked.

we usa'ers need to keep up with this advanced technological game the japanese are running (even the record nerd industry?....ammm.)

Hommie, you sound like this is some BIG secret de-warping conspiracy by the Japanese. LOL! You will never catch up with the Japanese technology! Ha ha!!! This is not a sci-fi movie foolionic. Mecha-Godzilla is not de-warping them shits! It's 2006 mayne, get online and re-search the joint and buy one. Call some record stores in Japan and see what the deal is. I???m sure that some cats in Japan would be happy to sell you one if you have the money. Sheep is in Australia and they don't have the machines there either.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I found a picture of one

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=14116&section=equipment

i use the glass in the oven method. works fine for me. actually, i've gotten into collecting different kinds of warps to challenge by skills. the one you speak of Mr South Amurrka can be fixed. i suggest several short burst of temperature exposure.

think about this. you are trying to reverse what was done to warp the record. since I find a lot of records sitting the position that made them warped (cocked over in some closet), you think about reversing that. i think the best bet is exposure to warmth, not heat, over a longer time.

(cocked over in some closet)

(sorry)

the "usa'ers" missed that boat about 40 years ago. and "even[/b] the record nerd industry"? fucking please.

sheep,

Disk Union - Accessories store in Shinjuku. Seen it there.

I can't help u any further. Price just goes from memory.

THERE WAS a store here in Sydney (or there used to be) that had a dewarper in the store that looked like a waffle maker...

idiotproof might remember more info about this...

peace.

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Sheep can you post a link to where you get your avators from. They are for some reason hypnotysing!

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    Hi,

There is a german maker of this product, too. They're called Clearaudio. They make some of the best & most expensive turntables in the world. I saw this item here in mtl on display at their kiosk just a month ago & they'll be selling this summer. Its their version of the jpn machine. In japan, its about 500, but they kill you on the importing. The Clearaudio should be cheaper & since its made by a reputable company, I'd be more inclined to pick it up from 'em. There are some people who've used the jpn model & are less than impressed. If you check out audioasylum.com & run a search you'll see some bad feedback. I know that sterophile (sp?) loves the gizmo. I'm only skeptical because it seems too good to be true.

peace

young hove

• There is a german maker of this product, too. They're called Clearaudio.

Yeah, it's called Clearaudio Vinyl Doctor.
    Here's a link to a UK store that sells it for ??1360.
    Vinyl Doctor

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

There is a german maker of this product, too. They're called Clearaudio.

Yeah, it's called Clearaudio Vinyl Doctor.
    Here's a link to a UK store that sells it for ??1360.
    Vinyl Doctor

I don't understand why German/european audio stuff is more expensive oversease than in Canada. I got my clearaudio TT for 1000.00 bucks here. In the UK, it's over 700 pounds, which I think is more than a grand CAN.

Sheep can you post a link to where you get your avators from. They are for some reason hypnotysing!

http://www.animatedboobs.com/