First Canadian rap song (Scotty Pete Gang related)

canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I was hanging out with my friend and out of nowhere he said "Hey man, check out this 45 I have. I don't know anything about rap, have you heard of the scottyhill gang?"I said no, and he put it on. It sounded very much like a bunch of HNIC (Hockey Night In Canada) white guys rapping over the rappers delight beat. The date on the label was 1980. Anyone heard of this? Could this be Canada's first rap song? Also, PS - I could be spelling their name wrong. It may be scotyhill, Scottyhill, Scoty Hill, so if you know please correct me.

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    PEK might know the deal.

I always thought it was a bootleg that had (I think) Rappers Delight on the A side and the bside was a track that Ron Nelson had something to do with (Not B-boy Destruction)

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts

scotty pete gang (i think) - rapper's defeat (defeet?). all the lyrics are about feet and hamilton girls. for whatever reason i know almost all the words. put out by a steel city radio station (ckoc if i remember)in 1980. so bad and so corny but if you're from that area.

(btw. thank you for the folkways book. sorry for being rude and not saying thanks sooner.)

i wouldn't mind a cleaner copy and a friend who collects rappers delight covers wants one so if you find any more please let me know.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

scotty pete gang (i think) - rapper's defeat (defeet?). all the lyrics are about feet and hamilton girls. for whatever reason i know almost all the words. put out by a steel city radio station (ckoc if i remember)in 1980. so bad and so corny but if you're from that area.
    Yeah, that's the one!!

(btw. thank you for the folkways book. sorry for being rude and not saying thanks sooner.)
    I have not slept in months. It's all good And you're very welcome.

i wouldn't mind a cleaner copy and a friend who collects rappers delight covers wants one so if you find any more please let me know.
    If my friend tries to sell his copy, I think I'll grab it. What's a decent price for it? If I find any more, they're yours.

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts

If my friend tries to sell his copy, I think I'll grab it. What's a decent price for it? If I find any more, they're yours.

don't sweat it too much. i wouldn't pay more than $4. more novelty and hamilton roots sentimental value than anything. cool.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

don't sweat it too much. i wouldn't pay more than $4. more novelty and hamilton roots sentimental value[/b] than anything. cool.
    I can relate (although, more from the Albertan side of things).

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Wow. Interesting.

Shout out to any other people originally from HAMILTON WENTWORTH if they're out there.