Black Blood / El Chicles

deliriocaldodeliriocaldo 10 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I picked up an afrofunk/disco album by BLACK BLOOD recently, and I'd like to know more about the band. Seems like they recorded two albums, of which mine is the second. It's on a label called Biram & was distributed by Warner in 1977. Title is "Happy", but it isn't mentioned on the front- or backcover, only on spine & label. The cover looks like this:Most of the tracks are okay but nothing special. However, there's one outstanding track called "Wela Wela (Black Blood's Nightmare)" (an edit of which was comped by Danny Krivit a few years ago), worth checking out.It seems hard to come up with any useful info on this band/record... AMG claims they are from Baton Rouge, Louisiana, which I'm almost sure is incorrect. According to the back cover listing, this seems to be a strange mix of belgian and african artists. Most of the belgian names are commonly associated with EL CHICLES, CHACKACHAS, SUMOS, CHINESE FIGHTERS, YAMASUKI and the likes: Ralph Benatar, Francis Weyer, Jean Kluger, Daniel Vangarde, William Albimoor...From Africa, it's Cameroonian bass player Vicky Edimo as well as two vocalists, Steve Banda Kalenga and Thembi Hedo.The Album was recorded in Bruxelles, Belgium, and engineered by Mike Butcher.Anyone out there who's got further background/information on this band? Is their other album (called "chicano") worthwile?

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    El Chicles was the ill ebay tag line a couple years ago. They got a couple nice tracks. Tonights the night is cool. I think thats on the sumos record.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    A couple tracks from their first LP were massive hits in the day. Both LPs were more or less dollarbin finds in Quebec, although they're now probably in the $10 bin.

• AMG claims they are from Baton Rouge, Louisiana, which I'm almost sure is incorrect.
    There was another group called Black Blood who were from Louisiana and put out at least one 45, hence the AMG misinformation.

• AMG claims they are from Baton Rouge, Louisiana, which I'm almost sure is incorrect.
    There was another group called Black Blood who were from Louisiana and put out at least one 45, hence the AMG misinformation.

Co-sign...definitly not the same group.

• Yeah, I suspected something like this. Must be some kind of mix-up, as the album credits on AMG are seemingly all from the belgian group, and the (ultra-brief) bio claims they "had an R&B chart entry in 1975 with A.I.E. (A Mwana)", which also refers to the belgians.