St. John Green....

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
IMG src=http://recordbrother.typepad.com/imagesilike/images/st_john_green.jpg>how rare is this album? im guessing its relatively common since its on flick-disk...what would one be likely to pay for a decent copy?i got my copy for 50 cents a while ago but its totally beat...but im giving it a listen now and im actually kinda into it. i want a nice copy now...

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    whoa. just found a copy today. syncrodelic!

good record. clean one should run you $40... maybe more.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    whoa. just found a copy today. syncrodelic!

good record. clean one should run you $40... maybe more.

ah, thats pretty much what i was expecting. thanks!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I got mine from a dude who hearts psych for $18. $40 seems a freckle high.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I got mine from a dude who hearts psych for $18. $40 seems a freckle high.

I think $40 would be average price for this one.....you can find it on Gemm for anywhere from $22.78 - $125.00....If I had a clean copy I'd expect to get $25-$40 for it.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

im guessing its relatively common since its on flick-disk

does that mean anything? i never see any records on that label

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Flick disk is a common label to come across in my hood.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    prices on flick disc are strange. I heard from an old head that the label was a subsidary of a major who was just cashing in on the 'psych' craze at the time, so today serious collectros dont regard the music as being 'genuine' and wont pay too much for it. If flick disc was a private press label, and yet pressed the same amount of records, Id bet it would be another story.
    I've come accross about four of the LP releases and St.John Green was probably the best in regards to psych, the others were more teen/pop/psych oriented, however they sold for more because there were fewer pressed and less known(ie Boston Tea Party). St.John Green is a $25 record.
    Has anyone every come accross the 45's?

• prices on flick disc are strange. I heard from an old head that the label was a subsidary of a major who was just cashing in on the 'psych' craze at the time, so today serious collectros dont regard the music as being 'genuine' and wont pay too much for it. If flick disc was a private press label, and yet pressed the same amount of records, Id bet it would be another story.
    I've come accross about four of the LP releases and St.John Green was probably the best in regards to psych, the others were more teen/pop/psych oriented, however they sold for more because there were fewer pressed and less known(ie Boston Tea Party). St.John Green is a $25 record.

MGM sub.

• Options
    prices on flick disc are strange. I heard from an old head that the label was a subsidary of a major who was just cashing in on the 'psych' craze at the time, so today serious collectros dont regard the music as being 'genuine' and wont pay too much for it. If flick disc was a private press label, and yet pressed the same amount of records, Id bet it would be another story.

I traded one earlier this year. Think one side was a non-LP cut.

K.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    for more kim fowley produced-psych madness...check these:

i've never found a copy of st. john green myself but funny thing...my stepfather recently emailed me asking about the band...he said he remembers listening to it a ton back in the day...i know he was really into jefferson airplane and quicksilver messenger service so it's not that surprising but i was a bit surprised because it seems like such an obscure psych record...it's strange to realize that all these records we search for and think we are "discovering" were around and listened to back then.

but anyway, i pointed him towards an ebay auction selling the cd and he got it and will be burning a copy for me.

i have a copy of the Smoke record on cd as well...it's highly recommended.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Love's Special Delivery on this LP is just amazing.

• for more kim fowley produced-psych madness...check these:

I'm gonna go ahead and say this is one of the biggest let downs of my digging career. I wanted this to be so good but...

I'm gonna go ahead and say this is one of the biggest let downs of my digging career. I wanted this to be so good but...

it is what it is...psychesploitation...definitely a cool record but derivative in it's very nature so as such it's not much more than a really cool psychedelic relic. the smoke lp however is up there with "Oddesey and Oracle" and really deserves to be reissued.

• Smoke does look nice.

decided to throw on the fire escape because i haven't listened to it in years...the production or maybe pressing is pretty weak...but this song "blood beat" is really dope...a heartbeat drum pattern over very nice guitar and chimes freakout...cool.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    St.John Green is a $25 record.
    The Soulstrut Factor??

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

the funny thing is ive run into 4-5 copies of boston tea party, and only the one copy i own of st. john green.

usually boston tea party is 40-50 range around here.

• for more kim fowley produced-psych madness...check these:

it is what it is...psychesploitation...definitely a cool record but derivative in it's very nature so as such it's not much more than a really cool psychedelic relic. the smoke lp however is up there with "Oddesey and Oracle" and really deserves to be reissued.

I agree. Smoke is a pretty nice album. I found St John Green completely underwhelming. Nice cover, though.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Anybody want that St John Green holler at me.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    hey, this album is actually good. i wrote of a review of this for waxidermy but didn't post it cause I figured the album was a little too "known" if you can dig. here's the review:

St. John Green ??? S/T
    This album is my no means unknown (or for that matter even that rare/expensive) but that does not mean that it doesn???t warrant discussion. Arising from the settlings of flowerchild runoff muck from late 60???s Hollywood (Laurel Canyon, specifically) St. John Green dipped themselves head-first into the underlying evil of the post-summer of love LA hippie scene and arose with this haunting masterpiece of dark psychedelia??? Fellow LA acts like The Doors and Love are most certainly notable touchstones here (and in some places Dr. John???s psychedelic period at it???s most comically guttural) but the group shapes the often lukewarm sub-genre of ???organ psych??? into a thrashing beast all their own, utilizing poetry, acid-casuilty screams, a rather twisted sense of humor and a healthy dose of the almighty Satan. Yes, the rather classic psych move of constructing a ???bad trip??? on wax, but they tread deeper into authentic and poetic torment than most one dimensional psych trend jumpers would dare. Produced by notorious Zappa homeboy Kim Fowley (the guy that turned ???They???re Coming to Take me Away??? backwards) with the involvement of Michael Lloyd from The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, who St. John Green certainly share some musically aesthetic sensibilities with. This is filed in my record collection right in between my copies of Easter Everywhere and Gris Gris (because I organize my records, as I???m sure all of you do, by general artistic aura).

don't pay over $30

• i think boston tea party is my fav flick disc. then st. john then american revolution. couldn't find any singles online. if anyone has any knowledge of em feel free to drop it. also have a boston tea party for trade.