anyone have or had a Boston Terrier?

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I want to get a puppy. I know I want a small dog, but not a frou-frou dog. I am keen on Boston Terriers. They seem like a tough little dog. I hear they are easy to care for, live a nice long life and make great companions. I was wondering if any of y'all have/had them and what you think of them.

Comments

• Cute and friendly but all the ones I've come across were serious leg hummpers. John is gonna hate.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Cute and friendly but all the ones I've come across were serious leg hummpers. John is gonna hate.

maybe, John seems to like dogs though...he has always play fought with them and been freindly with every dog he has been around, plus I think John will show the pup who is boss early on...

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Make sure you check shelters and Boston Terrier rescues.

BTs are cool, they are very friendly and funny.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Make sure you check shelters and Boston Terrier rescues.

BTs are cool, they are very friendly and funny.

yeah my girl and I have been checking into different rescues.
    I cant help but smile and laugh when I see them, I think I would always be in a good mood with one of the little dudes around.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I love dogs. BT's need to be checked for breathing problems and dominance issues though. Many many terriers have dominance issues, but it's not guaranteed or anything.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    One thing to keep in mind with all terriers: They like to dig!

As a Strutter you should appreciate this quality! Much like your own digging, sometimes it can be a problem. But it's in the blood.

(Peep the etymology, kid: Terrier = terre, French for earth, hence the digging).

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I love dogs. BT's need to be checked for breathing problems and dominance issues though. Many many terriers have dominance issues, but it's not guaranteed or anything.

Hey,

My silky terrier (female) tried to run thangs early. I had to let her know who the alpha male was. It's been smooth sailing ever since. I love me some terriers. They have heart and are lovable.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• lamaslamas 39 Posts
    i've had my little boy for over 5 years. he's still a leg humper even though he's got no nuts (i regret that decision all the time). very protective over my girlfriend. he always tries to intervene when we're hugging and kissing. the sweetest dog you'd ever meet. i don't think he would even know how to nip or bite someone.

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    the wife and i adopted ours from a lady who was getting too old to take care of her. she's probably the best dog i've ever had. real relaxed, i know a lot of them seem high strung but mine's a mad couch potato. they've got hilarious personalities too

careful though, you may think you've got your fart game on lock, but this breed will crank the silent but violents that put grandpa's best thanksgiving dinner burners to shame

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    but this breed will crank the silent but violents that put grandpa's best thanksgiving dinner burners to shame

True for my silky terrier too!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    never had nothin

• A friend of mine adopted a Boston who was really, really neurotic and had all kinds of breathing problems (like constant snorting). They couldn't really deal, so they ended up returning him to the shelter--kind of heartbreaking.

But they later got a Boston puppy and a mini dachsund puppy at the same time and have had both for almost 10 years. Both dogs are hilarious but very energetic.