I Need More Shit Like This In My Life(RR)

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Recommendations??? Give it up....especially if there is an LP out there that's on this level.....

Comments

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Ouch... the pain of letting this go for the Heatrock auctions just came back. But along with that was the satisfaction of money going to a good cause. What an amazing record.

DJ Ferrari

• Options
    The 12 is gorgeous, too. PAging Lotusland...

K.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    The 12 is gorgeous, too. PAging Lotusland...

K.

There's a 12 inch version of this? or are you talking about his later LP?

SG

• Options
    No, another song.

K.

• Rich, to answer your original question, I can't say I've ever heard a whole LP on par with that Reynolds single. The Steve Parks LP on Solid Smoke is definitely worth checking out though. There's a song by this guy Will King that I like a lot called "Sunshine Please" off his You're My Woman album. Not that it sounds the same as Steve Parks but it kind of has the same vibe. Willie Wright "Right On For The Darkness" for some reason also comes to mind. I think the OG 45 is rather rare and in high demand but you can hear the song on Keb Darge's Soul Spectrum II comp.

• Rich, to answer your original question, I can't say I've ever heard a whole LP on par with that Reynolds single. The Steve Parks LP on Solid Smoke is definitely worth checking out though. There's a song by this guy Will King that I like a lot called "Sunshine Please" off his You're My Woman album. Not that it sounds the same as Steve Parks but it kind of has the same vibe. Willie Wright "Right On For The Darkness" for some reason also comes to mind. I think the OG 45 is rather rare and in high demand but you can hear the song on Keb Darge's Soul Spectrum II comp.

I've been looking for a copy of this for a whille, and the last one I saw on the 'bay went for $80+. Its drawn a lot of Dorando comparisons since he had his resurgence.

Anyone have an mp3 of this? I had one a while ago, but it got lost in a job change.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    Recommendations??? Give it up....especially if there is an LP out there that's on this level.....

rich, there is an lp, just doens't have that tune on it. i don't have his lp either. we were thinking that 45 was demo done by reynolds.

totally unique record. dorando is close though. both bay area, both stoned and soulful.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Rich, to answer your original question, I can't say I've ever heard a whole LP on par with that Reynolds single. The Steve Parks LP on Solid Smoke is definitely worth checking out though. There's a song by this guy Will King that I like a lot called "Sunshine Please" off his You're My Woman album. Not that it sounds the same as Steve Parks but it kind of has the same vibe. Willie Wright "Right On For The Darkness" for some reason also comes to mind. I think the OG 45 is rather rare and in high demand but you can hear the song on Keb Darge's Soul Spectrum II comp.

Thanks.....I thought I was probably asking for the impossible.....does this Dorando guy capture the same vibe???

Thanks.....I thought I was probably asking for the impossible.....does this Dorando guy capture the same vibe???

Darondo is fucking incredible. Cop the Ubiquity compilation that Jinx helped put together. Even if you don't usually buy reissues. That's the best soul release of the year for my money.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    Rich, to answer your original question, I can't say I've ever heard a whole LP on par with that Reynolds single. The Steve Parks LP on Solid Smoke is definitely worth checking out though. There's a song by this guy Will King that I like a lot called "Sunshine Please" off his You're My Woman album. Not that it sounds the same as Steve Parks but it kind of has the same vibe. Willie Wright "Right On For The Darkness" for some reason also comes to mind. I think the OG 45 is rather rare and in high demand but you can hear the song on Keb Darge's Soul Spectrum II comp.

not in my opinion but they are both dope. look for records by johnny baker. i would compare him vocally and musically. also a local bay area boy. that... shit my brain froze... nat used his record on his fusion batches mix. i know yoder had a few copies. general lee... no that wasnt it... thats the duke boys car. anyway... that song is comparable to me as well.

• By the way, if anyone wants to hear Sunshine Love by Will King here is a soundfile (will need Real Audio on your computer to listen): Sunshine Love

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I think this little diddy has a similar vibe. Tight drums with beautiful vocals and instrumentation. That and I just happen to have the mp3 on my work computer

Band X - Home

DJ Ferrari

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    By the way, if anyone wants to hear Sunshine Love by Will King here is a soundfile (will need Real Audio on your computer to listen): Sunshine Love

That's the shit right there....mucho gracias

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    lads...is this the same Steve Parks as "Moving In The Right Direction"??

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Correct me if I'm wrong Yay Areans, but I'm pretty sure it's the same Steve Parks. DAMN I love that 45. Thanks, Ferrari.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    can someone post audio of that 45?
    havent heard it

good looks

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    Correct me if I'm wrong Yay Areans, but I'm pretty sure it's the same Steve Parks. DAMN I love that 45. Thanks, Ferrari.

I think so too. Oh yeah, if anybody has an extra of the "Moving In The Right Direction" 45, send me a PM please.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

I think so too. Oh yeah, if anybody has an extra of the "Moving In The Right Direction" 45, send me a PM please.

same dude

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This is what ya'll need more in your life:

"slow, funky soul burners"

The Steve Parks isn't on here but it's got many greeaaaaatttttt tunes that are in that, "damn, this sounds good to my soul" vein (including some Darondo, some Diplomats, some Erma Franklin, some Clarence Coulter, some Montereys, etc.)

You need this, especially since two Strutters (Peaceful Rotation and Mongo Slade) put it together.

http://www.matthewafrica.com/clips.html

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    bay area, stoned and soulful.

exactly. Deejay Om, a few years ago when he played me this shit said "this record will change your life." Skeptically I listened, and please believe that shit is the TRUTH.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

same dude

Sorry no extra copies, but I was stoked to find my only copy a couple of weeks ago at the local Sal for less than $1! Yay for me! Sometimes you need those kinds of finds to keep you going...

• autezautez 404 Posts
    i had the mp3 clip from the heat rock auction but cant find it anymore. would definitely like to hear the whole thing.. it sounded ill

• autezautez 404 Posts
    heres the mp3 clip i have. if anyone has the full thing hook it up please!

http://download.yousendit.com/BC98C2BB1D4DE1C9

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    can someone give me the year of this production?

• beansybeansy 5 Posts
    Wow, that is really a pretty exceptional record. He did another on the same label, "All in a Day" and "Sadness in My Samba" are the two sides, the first is really sweet mid-tempo, not a million miles away from Jon Lucien's kind of sound, the other is, as you would expect, a bit Brazilian sounding.
    It's definitely worth looking out for, but not quite as good as that.
    Sorry I've no mp3, but John Manship has a real audio clip on his site here:
    Manship

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts
    Wow, that is really a pretty exceptional record. He did another on the same label, "All in a Day" and "Sadness in My Samba" are the two sides, the first is really sweet mid-tempo, not a million miles away from Jon Lucien's kind of sound, the other is, as you would expect, a bit Brazilian sounding.
    It's definitely worth looking out for, but not quite as good as that.
    Sorry I've no mp3, but John Manship has a real audio clip on his site here:
    Manship

Cosign!

Steve Parks is great, "movin'" is brutal and "all in a day" is utterly fantastic aswell, just trade my copy of it but need to get it back.. breezy homelistening

peace
    L

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Rich, to answer your original question, I can't say I've ever heard a whole LP on par with that Reynolds single. The Steve Parks LP on Solid Smoke is definitely worth checking out though. There's a song by this guy Will King that I like a lot called "Sunshine Please" off his You're My Woman album. Not that it sounds the same as Steve Parks but it kind of has the same vibe.

^^^Got a copy of the You're My Woman LP today. I can't wait to check it out when I get home. I also still need that Steve Parks 7" or LP if anyone has one for me. Cheers.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Rich, to answer your original question, I can't say I've ever heard a whole LP on par with that Reynolds single. The Steve Parks LP on Solid Smoke is definitely worth checking out though. There's a song by this guy Will King that I like a lot called "Sunshine Please" off his You're My Woman album. Not that it sounds the same as Steve Parks but it kind of has the same vibe.

^^^Got a copy of the You're My Woman LP today. I can't wait to check it out when I get home. I also still need that Steve Parks 7" or LP if anyone has one for me. Cheers.

I think the Quinn Harris/Masterminds LP is quite consistent though much of it is more of a jazz album than soul album.

Did that get reissued legitimately? I saw the one that's avail now but am wondering if it's