Sly's later albums

jazzman21jazzman21 287 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Like so many people, i'm a Sly fan and have all most of his albums with the family Dance to the..., There's a Riot..., Stand, etc., but after the album "Fresh" for whatever reasons, I just didn't pay any attention to his albums after that. But recently I have gotten curious about these albums and since I've never heard any of them I was hoping ya'll can give me some insight on what good/not good...High on You, Small Talk, Heard ya Missed Me, Back on the Right track, etc.?

Comments

• I like a couple of the tracks on Small Talk. Haven't even tried the later stuff.

• This album is worth picking up for a few dollars. "Remember Who You Are" is a classic track

not as great as anything he did beforehand, but still a nice album overall

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

This album is worth picking up for a few dollars. "Remember Who You Are" is a classic track

Massive cosign. That track has the full package... dope intro, verses and chorus.

DJ Ferrari

• the last song on small talk is

• "Can't Strain My Brain" is one of my favorite Sly songs. Incidentally, the Canadian and Quadrophonic versions of "Small Talk" both have a break-heavy 32-bar intro to "Time for Livin'" that's not on the regular American issue.

• ahh, i wanna hear/own that quad version

• dudes prolly know this but "High On You" has "Crossword Puzzle" - great track + major de la "say no..." sample. the consistency def. goes down after this album imo, but i like all of side one...

• jazzman21jazzman21 287 Posts
    dudes prolly know this but "High On You" has "Crossword Puzzle" - great track + major de la "say no..." sample. the consistency def. goes down after this album imo, but i like all of side one...

U talkin bout this one...the cover is so dope.

How bout this one....

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts

any one dig the green eyed monster girl cut.. def dig that song , and pretty much every track on the album... Who Do You Love

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

any one dig the green eyed monster girl cut.. def dig that song , and pretty much every track on the album... Who Do You Love

I listened to 90% of that album and liked what I heard. Never understood why its held in such low regard/slept on.

SG

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    "Can't Strain My Brain" is one of my favorite Sly songs. Incidentally, the Canadian and Quadrophonic versions of "Small Talk" both have a break-heavy 32-bar intro to "Time for Livin'" that's not on the regular American issue.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    All of Sly's records have something to offer. I recommend all of them. Later Sly is just another vibe because he was cooped up inside a studio doing massive drugs and blowing off his wife and newborn child.

"If You Want Me To Stay," according to his wife, is about Sly telling her that he's not going to be there for her and his child.

As the late Rick James said, "Cocaine is a hell'uva drug!"

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "If You Want Me To Stay," according to his wife, is about Sly telling her that he's not going to be there for her and his child.

I always was puzzled by the line: "when you know that you're number two, number one's gonna be number one!"

(nice breakin' bread and eatin' curry witcha, Motown!)

Cool hanging with the Chi-town SS crew as well.

I read about that Sly song in a book called "In Their Own Words" or something like. It's a series where they just rely on quotes by the musicians to tell the story. Great series. Anyways, Sly's wife was talking about how Sly basically walked out on her and their child for drugs and recording. She would always call him, and then one day he said, "I wrote this song about you - If You Want Me To Stay." I guess he had to put it into music that he was blowing them off. Pretty cold and another indication that his music was more important than his family at that time.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts

"Can't Strain My Brain" is one of my favorite Sly songs. Incidentally, the Canadian and Quadrophonic versions of "Small Talk" both have a break-heavy 32-bar intro to "Time for Livin'" that's not on the regular American issue.

i got that canadian press - didn't realize there was a difference.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

i got that canadian press - didn't realize there was a difference.

I have a canadian press that's the same as the american one. So i guess you still have to listen to make sure you have the right one (unless there's some other way to tell which is which).

• not as great as anything he did beforehand, but still a nice album overall

Can't F*** with Loose Booty!!! It doesn't get funkier than that.

• Cool hanging with the Chi-town SS crew as well.

I read about that Sly song in a book called "In Their Own Words" or something like. It's a series where they just rely on quotes by the musicians to tell the story. Great series. Anyways, Sly's wife was talking about how Sly basically walked out on her and their child for drugs and recording. She would always call him, and then one day he said, "I wrote this song about you - If You Want Me To Stay." I guess he had to put it into music that he was blowing them off. Pretty cold and another indication that his music was more important than his family at that time.

Umm, with all due respect, her account sounds like bullshit. "If You Want Me to Stay" was released in 1973. Sly didn't get married until 1974.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Incidentally, the Canadian and Quadrophonic versions of "Small Talk" both have a break-heavy 32-bar intro to "Time for Livin'" that's not on the regular American issue.

Aaah, that just cleared up some long-time confusion on my part. First time I ever heard "Small Talk" was at a friend's house about 15 years ago. I remember we were checking those drums (used on that hum-along song by KMD, right?). Later on when I got my own copy it didn't have that braek fluid, and I was wondering if it was all in my head

Anyway, like Mo67 said, Sly's 70s output should not be slept on. A lot of good tunes on those albums. I thought I had 'em all, but this thread just made me realize that I don't have "Back On The Right Track". I was sure that one was somewhere in my Sly section. Got to fill that hole.

Cool hanging with the Chi-town SS crew as well.

Umm, with all due respect, her account sounds like bullshit. "If You Want Me to Stay" was released in 1973. Sly didn't get married until 1974.

When I get home from vacation I'll look it up in the book. Did they have a kid before or after they got married?

• Cool hanging with the Chi-town SS crew as well.

When I get home from vacation I'll look it up in the book. Did they have a kid before or after they got married?

That's a good point since little man looks to be about 2 on the cover of "Small Talk" and that was from the same year he got married.

I seem to remember reading something in the big Mojo piece on Sly from a few years ago to the effect that around the time of "Riot" he was shacking up with wifey and her sister, which is gangster. The Mojo piece was amazingly good considering that it was written by Joel Selvin, who is more or less the rock version of Ricky Vincent.