Cadet drums / drummers

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
why is it that the drums almost always sound the same on ever Cadet / Cadet Concept release? it almost always sounds like the same drummer and drum set. seriously, half the time i can identify a cadet record based just on the drum sounds...whats the deal? im happy about this anyway, those are some of the best drum sounds ive ever heard...

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Well, Chess/Checker/Cadet did have a steady house band during the mid- to late-sixties, just like Stax and Motown, so maybe that's why...

• Well, Chess/Checker/Cadet did have a steady house band during the mid- to late-sixties, just like Stax and Motown, so maybe that's why...

Also, how many of those records are either Evans or Stepney produced/arranged?

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Well, Chess/Checker/Cadet did have a steady house band during the mid- to late-sixties, just like Stax and Motown, so maybe that's why...

yes, but name the drum kit + mic arrangement + mixing setup or you're soft.

Famous drum kit studio setups thread? Yes please.

• Well, Chess/Checker/Cadet did have a steady house band during the mid- to late-sixties, just like Stax and Motown, so maybe that's why...

yes, but name the drum kit + mic arrangement + mixing setup or you're soft.

I guess I'm soft...

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Yo,

Maurice White was playing drums in a lot of those sessions. I think Morris Jennings did some session work on the drums there too.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Is this a problem?? i love both of these guys. ill ill ill

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

i dont think anybody would mean this in a bad way. both were intense.

In the words of a great philosopher, Hell to the NO.

I love both of them, and was suggesting that a consistent drum sound might have been the result of those tow cats doing most of the heavy lifting.

In the words of a great philosopher, Hell to the NO.

I love both of them, and was suggesting that a consistent drum sound might have been the result of those tow cats doing most of the heavy lifting.

I'd add Gene Barge (who produced the bluesier soul acts like Little Milton) and Ralph Bass (who had John Lee Hooker plus a grip of gospel acts) to that list. The same drum sound heard on Evans and Stepney's records is also in full effect with Barge and Bass.

• Stepney is king of production!!! check out the part where he sonned the beatles!

http://vlokfeest.net/mirrors/www.kirkdegiorgio.com/stepneyarticle.htm

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Stepney is king of production!!! check out the part where he sonned the beatles!

Extra sonnage:

"Critics. Music Critics. These self-appointed protectors of the literature, who are determined to save the artist from the evils of the arranger. Overproduction they call it. Overproduction. Anytime you extend harmonically above the 7th and have more than five guys playing in the background and use more than monosyllabic lyrics - like James Brown's grunt; back to the cave, man! - critics call it overproducing. I've seen arrangers write for the critics. Man, I'll have nothing to do with it. See, I know, and the other people in the business know, these artists simply need to be directed. That's why we have producers - not the financial kind - because these Sinatras and the rest need to be played like instruments into the whole musical picture, even thought that picture many exist around them."

• Stepney is king of production!!! check out the part where he sonned the beatles!

Does anyone have a ripped version of Minnie' 'Garden'? Mine is too scratchy to really enjoy.

• why is it that the drums almost always sound the same on ever Cadet / Cadet Concept release? it almost always sounds like the same drummer and drum set. seriously, half the time i can identify a cadet record based just on the drum sounds...

whats the deal? im happy about this anyway, those are some of the best drum sounds ive ever heard...

it is strange that there isn't a rudy van gelder type figure who mic'd and ran the board consistently.... it seems there was a different engineer every session practically.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

We need a "take that shit to TapeOP" Graemlin !!!

it is strange that there isn't a rudy van gelder type figure who mic'd and ran the board consistently.... it seems there was a different engineer every session practically.

i thought that was malcolm chisholm

Stepney is king of production!!! check out the part where he sonned the beatles!

Extra sonnage:

"Critics. Music Critics. These self-appointed protectors of the literature, who are determined to save the artist from the evils of the arranger. Overproduction they call it. Overproduction. Anytime you extend harmonically above the 7th and have more than five guys playing in the background and use more than monosyllabic lyrics - like James Brown's grunt; back to the cave, man! - critics call it overproducing. I've seen arrangers write for the critics. Man, I'll have nothing to do with it. See, I know, and the other people in the business know, these artists simply need to be directed. That's why we have producers - not the financial kind - because these Sinatras and the rest need to be played like instruments into the whole musical picture, even thought that picture many exist around them."

i'm a fan of stepney's productions, but ive read that downbeat interview - he just comes off as a conservatory snob. especially when he holds up peter, paul & mary as a fine, upstanding example of modern music. i'll stick with james brown's caveman grunts.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

If you want dates and names for particular Cadet or Chess sessions, post what you want and I can consult the Ruppli books for exactitude.

• I can consult the Ruppli books for exactitude.

This should be your new location D.