My Super Sweet Sixteen

jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
This show.These goddamn kids.I just watched the one with LA Ried's fat little son(i was under the impression sweet 16's were for little girls). All these hiphop stars showed up, mariah and nas videotaped shout outs. Dupri "dj'ed", Kanye performed.Can we discuss this show, and these kids?Would you spoil your children to this extent if you could? Would your kid grow up with values, if so? Do values matter when you have more money than god?This kid thought he was the hottest thing going cause he threw a nasty sweet 16.yes im mad doggie

Comments

• i hate that fucking show. it's a part of what's wrong with humans today.

but i'm still curious how the hell did cee-lo become filthy rich....

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Santana royalties...

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    you sound poor

just kidding, this show is fucking terrible, but i never miss it... it is really fascinating... i think it would be a lot better if MTV would throw a party like that for someone who COULDN'T afford it, and would really appreciate it... you know most of these kids' 17th are going to be the same type of shit, and they will never understand that that shit isn't normal

that said,

Would you spoil your children to this extent if you could?

probably... my little girl has me completely beat down... i'm a strong person in a lot of ways, but i'm really bad about caving in to her

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Santana royalties...

Wait. You mean it wasn't because of his astounding success as a solo artist???

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    ...i'm really bad about caving in to her

well there's caving in and there's CAVING IN and totally spoiling a child waay too much.

• My niece told me a story about this show recently. She was just in a hair salon and they were talking about how a soon-to-be-16-year-old came in the week before and said, "Hey...I'm gonna be on that MTV show and I'm coming here in a few weeks to get my hair done. They really want me to act like a bitch, so I wanted to warn you all beforehand."

Santana royalties...

Wait. You mean it wasn't because of his astounding success as a solo artist???

GooDie MoB and his solo career were a mere prelude to the artistic heights he would scale by Santana's side.

Get familiar.

My niece told me a story about this show recently. She was just in a hair salon and they were talking about how a soon-to-be-16-year-old came in the week before and said, "Hey...I'm gonna be on that MTV show and I'm coming here in a few weeks to get my hair done. They really want me to act like a bitch, so I wanted to warn you all beforehand."

hmm. thats interesting. though not surprising.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    My niece told me a story about this show recently. She was just in a hair salon and they were talking about how a soon-to-be-16-year-old came in the week before and said, "Hey...I'm gonna be on that MTV show and I'm coming here in a few weeks to get my hair done. They really want me to act like a bitch, so I wanted to warn you all beforehand."

This show really irks me. I did watch Reid's kid yesterday though, it was just as obnoxious as usual... and at the end the kid dares anyone to test his party-throwing skillz, even though he already revealted that his dad and paid planners set everything up

at the end the kid dares anyone to test his party-throwing skillz, even though he already revealted that his dad and paid planners set everything up

all great leaders know how to delegate

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    they were prolly hearing this...
    "Hey...I'm gonna be on that MTV show and I'm coming here in a few weeks to get my hair done. They really want me to act like a bitch the way i normally do, so I wanted to warn you all beforehand."

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

This show really irks me. I did watch Reid's kid yesterday though, it was just as obnoxious as usual... and at the end the kid dares anyone to test his party-throwing skillz, even though he already revealted that his dad and paid planners set everything up

The thing is, Reid's kid was easily one of the tamest I've ever seen on that show. Then again, I've only seen a few episodes here and there, but most of the time, the kids are complete fucking bitches who are picture-perfect examples of what happens when you do a lousy job as a parent. Reid's kid was a smug little douchebag, but he was far from the worst. There were a couple kids on there who straight-up needed to get smacked.

the worst one i've seen is the kind of chubby black girl from last season... she really needed ghostface's mom to whip her with a strap... she threw a fit about everything, and her mom gave in every time... the shit where she handed out the invitations at school was

the worst one i've seen is the kind of chubby black girl from last season... she really needed ghostface's mom to whip her with a strap... she threw a fit about everything, and her mom gave in every time... the shit where she handed out the invitations at school was

cee-lo's daughter.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

cee-lo's daughter.

Nah, this chick put Cee-Lo's kid to shame. She was a pitiful, pitiful excuse for a person.

Really, the most disturbing thing about the Cee-Lo episode is that he would let his daughter get to be like that. He seems like a fairly well-grounded, humble dude, and you'd think he'd instill those same values in his kid.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    atleast he made ehr get good grades and shit

• This show is a real window into the utter moral bankruptcy of spoiled rich girls, and the different, pathetic ways that their parents accomodate them.
    All in all, a delight.[/b]

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    i can't watch this show. or the ones where people try to make themselves look like celebrities. or shows where MTV covers people who were once made celebrities by MTV and now live in a trailer and MTV is making more money off them now because they're horrible failures and they'll let any embarassing shit get taped for a dollar, or anything else like this that totally kills any hope I have for humanity.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I've found the show to display some good eye candy at times.
    Especially the arabic princess girl who gets a white hummer.

• the worst one i've seen is the kind of chubby black girl from last season... she really needed ghostface's mom to whip her with a strap... she threw a fit about everything, and her mom gave in every time... the shit where she handed out the invitations at school was

Was this the biracial girl?

If my daughter did that I'd have her dress up like she was having a party and take her to serve dinner at a homeless shelter.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

you mean the girl who was turning 16??????

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    man, I'm watching LA Reid's kid right now and this guy is a BITCH!

"daddy, I shall not be embarrassed in front of my friends!"

atleast he made ehr get good grades and shit

Would that TheMack had such a person in his own life.

you mean the girl who was turning 16??????

ill give him the benefit of the doubt, he did say EYE candy. maening to look at.

you must admit, 16 yr old girls today arent built like the they used to be.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    16 yr old girls today arent built like they used to be.

Cosign, recent studies showed that the average cup-size of teenage women has shifted from B to C due to pollution of the drinking water.

• well bring on the dirty water...2 years is not a long time to wait..ha.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    From today's New York Times:

April 26, 2006

MTV's 'Super Sweet 16' Gives a Sour Pleasure
    By LOLA OGUNNAIKE

Sophie Mitchell, a high school senior in Jupiter, Fla., had no intentions of turning 16 quietly. She wanted that birthday to be an epic event ??? no cake-and-ice-cream social or pajama-and-pizza sleepover would do. No, her party would be a ridiculously lavish, invitation-only affair, inspired by the film "Moulin Rouge." There would be can-can dancers, a fleet of stretch limousines for friends and family and a $1,500 cake.

"I wanted something with a lot of substance," said Sophie, now 17, without a hint of irony, "not just a regular party but pure entertainment for everyone."

Sophie is just one of the dozens of privileged kids who have had their coming-of-age extravaganzas captured on MTV's hit series "My Super Sweet 16" (Wednesdays at 10 p.m., Eastern and Pacific times; 9, Central Time). The show, in its third season, follows teenagers as they painstakingly plan their elaborate celebrations (which can cost as much as $200,000), argue over the details with their parents, fret over guest lists and shop for their first cars. There are tears and tantrums and nouveau-riche displays of conspicuous consumption. Marissa, a daddy's girl from Arizona, dyes her two poodles pink, so they'll match her dress. Her party was the show's season opener.

"It's like Jerry Springer for rich kids," said Zena Burns, entertainment director at Teen People magazine. Her readers can't get enough of the show, she said.

"You're either the type of kid that aspires to have that over-the-top party, or you're the type of kid that finds that absolutely repellent, but you still can't stop watching," said Ms. Burns, a fan of the series. "And I have just as many adult friends who watch it and do the water cooler recap the next day."

Predictably, the show has its share of critics. "Their blingy flings are not celebrations of accomplishment; they're celebrations of self," Ana Marie Cox, a Time magazine columnist, wrote in this week's issue. "What used to mark the end of childhood now seems only an excuse to prolong the whiny, self-centered greediness that gives infantile a bad name." Ms. Cox compared watching the show to eating an entire sheet cake, "wax decorative candles and all."

The show follows a simple but wildly successful formula: (1) kid makes a series of high-priced demands (a fireworks display, a helicopter ride, perhaps a harem of belly dancers); (2) parents capitulate and cough up the cash; (3) kid gleefully humiliates the uninvited; (4) something goes awry; (5) kid has a meltdown and repeatedly refers to self in the third person; (6) party miraculously comes together, and kid is presented with an automobile before his salivating, less fortunate peers. In Marissa's case, her father, who owns three auto dealerships, presented her with two cars: a red convertible for the weekend and a sturdy S.U.V. for the week.

Nina Diaz, the show's creator, said that in addition to receiving submissions, she worked with a casting team of five who scoured the country talking with party planners, florists and catering-hall owners, in search of the type of teenagers who make for great television. Each season about 200 are interviewed, but only 8 or 9 make the cut, Ms. Diaz said.

"We're looking for the parties to be over the top, and we're looking for originality," she explained. "We're looking for personality, how they visualize their grand entrance, how they're going through the process of inviting people."

While Ms. Mitchell's party was organized in four weeks, other teenagers have dedicated nearly a year to ensuring that their big one-six will be memorable. Aaron Reid, son of the music mogul L. A. Reid, took five months to plan his party. He had just moved to New York from Atlanta and was eager to make a name for himself at his new prep school, to establish himself as more than L. A. Reid's son. His invitation was an MP3 player. At his party, held at Jay-Z's 40/40 club last November, the producer Jermaine Dupri was the D.J., the rapper Kanye West performed, and Diddy, Aaron's godfather, made an appearance. Poppa Reid clearly pulled some strings.

"Everybody else spent hundreds of thousands of dollars, but I didn't spend anything," Mr. Reid said proudly. "I got my friend's club. I got my friend to perform and I got my friend to D.J."

"There's absolutely no way that I would ever spend that type of money," he continued. "I think it's over the top and sickening and a real poor representation of wealth."

Still, Dr. Srinivasa Rao Kothapalli, a prominent cardiologist in Beaumont, Tex., is more than willing to relinquish his checkbook. His daughter Priya turned 16 earlier this month, and she is in the throes of planning a joint birthday-graduation party with her elder sister, Divya, 18. "If you can afford to have a grand celebration, then why not," said Dr. Kothapalli, who immigrated to the United States from India in the mid-1980's. "It's the American way. You work hard and you play hard."

Born with silver ladles in their mouths, his daughters have certainly mastered the latter. Their Bollywood-themed party for 500 guests will be held in the family's backyard ??? all 4?? acres, behind the 10,000-square-foot house. The Format, their favorite band, will perform. And they will make their grand entrance on litters, during an elaborate procession led by elephants. The sisters, who plan to perform a choreographed routine at their to-do next month, are also taking dance lessons, and they've enlisted the help of a trainer.

"We both want to lose three pounds," said Priya, who received a Mercedes convertible and an assortment of diamond jewelry for her birthday. Her sister's graduation gift package included a Bentley, diamonds and two homes in India.

"I was really surprised," Divya said, "because I was only expecting a Bentley and one house."

Just last month they gave a preparty where invitations to their coming event were handed out by body builders whom Priya ordered not to smile. "Assistants are not supposed to smile," she explained.

Over the years, the sisters' ostentatiousness has earned them enemies. "Some people give us dirty looks and mock us," Divya said. "They're just jealous." MTV cameras following the pair around have not made things easier. "Sometimes people are fake nice because they want to be invited to our party; it's so annoying," she said.

Priya added, "It's pathetic when people suck up." Still, dealing with sycophantic classmates and a bit of teasing is a small price to pay for the spotlight. "We both love attention???that's one of our main motives for having the party," Divya said. "The more attention the better."

Ms. Burns was not surprised. "Given the advent of the Internet and reality television, a lot of kids think that fame is a realistic goal," she said. "What better way to be famous in your own world than throw the party of the year?"

Appearing on the series has meant instant pseudocelebrity for many of the teenagers. They've been asked to sign autographs and pose for photos. None of those interviewed seemed to mind the newfound attention, though not all of it has been positive. After her episode was shown last season, Sophie, the Florida teenager, a high-strung diva given to pronouncements like "the moral of this story is I'm always right," received tons of hate e-mail.

"At first I was reading it all, but then I had to stop because I was punishing myself," she said. Sophie's mother, Dale, a veterinarian, was quick to defend her daughter, blaming editing for making her look like an ungrateful monster. "My daughter and I have an adoring relationship; we're best friends," she said, "but that's not interesting to people. People want the guts and the juicy stuff."

Sophie was just as quick to defend her mother's decision to spend $180,000 for her party. "Unless they were crazy or hated their child, any parent who was financially able would do it," she said.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    "We both want to lose three pounds," said Priya, who received a Mercedes convertible and an assortment of diamond jewelry for her birthday. Her sister's graduation gift package included a Bentley, diamonds and two homes in India.

"I was really surprised," Divya said, "because I was only expecting a Bentley and one house."
    Where is the barfing graemlin?

The thing I always wonder is who is the poor schmuck who is going to marry this girl and will have to maintain her lifestyle and put up with her smug aura of entitlement? And how is she going to top a herd of elephants for her wedding?

And how is she going to top a herd of elephants for her wedding?

two herds of elephants!

• And how is she going to top a herd of elephants for her wedding?

two herds of elephants!

Especially since she'll only be expecting one (and a Bentley)...