fania HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!

upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
we dont get alot of fania's over here in copenhagen.i have a reissue of this:looking for other tracks like Espiritu Libre, lps with inst latin funk on the Fania label...if possible please recommend some:

Comments

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Do you consider "Espiritu Libre" to be "latin funk"?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

Are you an expert now?

Please, let this turn into a discussion of "funky latin" vs. "latin funk" again.

YES, what else, what would you call it ?

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    i like dude's style of posting a checklist for strutters to interact with. I circled a few on my monitor with a dry erase pen and hit submit but it didn't work. but, seriously, get the rest of the Ray Barrettos. Together, Power, and Hard Hands have funky cuts. Hards Hands having a fave of mine, Love Beads, which is instrumental latin funk. Together probably has the hardest, straight-forward, kick-yourself-in-the-dick funk tune out of them all and I just recently made the realization that's actually Ray singing on it. wow.

oh,... so its funky latin then

Are you an expert now?

Yes. Quiz me.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Are you an expert now?

Is this even a question? Whatcha know about that Reynaldo record buying guide?

Get familiar!

YES, what else, what would you call it ?
    Latin jazz

Are you an expert now?

Yes. Quiz me.

In all seriousness, it's hard to go completely wrong with a list of albums like that. The track in question is more sprawling latin jazz, yes? Which isn't the label's forte at this time. You aren't going to find a lot of the descarga style tracks, tho that's cuban, I think that's the style you're going for? Some of those are more latin soul, some more "straight" salsa.

But if you like "espiritu libre" you should def pick up "head sounds" (lower-right with a white background cover with a yellow/blue blob). It's really stretched out, has a great version of that very track plus a long version of "acid". Knowing your taste, you would dig, and it goes for cheap.
    Hard hands and power have a US stylee funk jam or two each.
    Bobby Valentin (black & red cover with his face repeated) - super raw.
    Joe Bataan - Subway Joe, Riot
    Harry averne

• Hards Hands having a fave of mine, Love Beads, which is instrumental latin funk.

"Love Beads," has been on heavy rotation round my house of late...Great for the spring time.

In all seriousness, it's hard to go completely wrong with a list of albums like that. The track in question is more sprawling latin jazz, yes? Which isn't the label's forte at this time. You aren't going to find a lot of the descarga style tracks, tho that's cuban, I think that's the style you're going for? Some of those are more latin soul, some more "straight" salsa.

But if you like "espiritu libre" you should def pick up "head sounds" (lower-right with a white background cover with a yellow/blue blob). It's really stretched out, has a great version of that very track plus a long version of "acid". Knowing your taste, you would dig, and it goes for cheap.
    Hard hands and power have a US stylee funk jam or two each.
    Joe Bataan - Subway Joe, Riot
    Harry averne

ok THANKS

its latin jazz, quess it must have been that funk bass line messing with my head !

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

The album is called "Let's Turn On/Arrebatarnos" great record.

Does anybody have that Justo Betancourt "El Explosivo" album? What's it like?

• if possible please recommend some:

this is prob my favorite...im no expert though..

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I have an emotional relationship with
    Joe Bataan - Singin' Some Soul