Do they still make clean versions?

tjamestjames 156 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I just found some old tapes (D.O.C., N.W.A etc.) and this got me thinking: do they still make clean versions of hip-hop/ rap albums? For real, I haven't listened to hip-hop or rap since I was a kid and my Mom would only buy me the clean versions from K-mart.

Comments

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    yes.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    yes.

Especially radio promo vinyl.

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    yes.

Especially radio promo vinyl.

they call 'em "Amended Versions" sometimes.

• For real, I haven't listened to hip-hop or rap since I was a kid and my Mom would only buy me the clean versions from K-mart.

The only place in the Bay I've been able to find clean versions of CDs reliably is Wal-Mart.

• For real, I haven't listened to hip-hop or rap since I was a kid and my Mom would only buy me the clean versions from K-mart.

The only place in the Bay I've been able to find clean versions of CDs reliably is Wal-Mart.

???

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Heck yes are there still clean versions. And TSL won't take em!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    For real, I haven't listened to hip-hop or rap since I was a kid and my Mom would only buy me the clean versions from K-mart.

???
    for the kids.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'm pretty sure the majors only do clean versions of EVERY release because WalMart requires it... a lot of them end up getting sent to radio stations and record stores as promos too though

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    I'm pretty sure the majors only do clean versions of EVERY release because WalMart requires it... a lot of them end up getting sent to radio stations and record stores as promos too though

I have to buy clean versions of CDs for my library (not my decision, I have been fighting this for the last year or so) and almost every major rap cd has a clean version, but thats not the case for rock cds because most of them don't have clean versions

I have to buy clean versions of CDs for my library (not my decision, I have been fighting this for the last year or so) and almost every major rap cd has a clean version, but thats not the case for rock cds because most of them don't have clean versions

If its anything mainstream... there needs to be a version for Walmart.

I'm not sure what kind of rock you're talking about... but a System of a Down or an Evanescence or whatever would need to have a clean version

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I'm not sure what kind of rock you're talking about... but a System of a Down or an Evanescence or whatever would need to have a clean version

Perhaps Noz can confirm?

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

ah a library??? That's terrible.

Was there ever a non-clean vinyl version of Supreme Clientele?

Yeah... in fact I've never seen clean vinyl of that album

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

that's all i ever see! and i've got one...wanna trade?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

me neither.

one of the more unfortunate clean versions of recent times is Marlon Asher's Ganja Farmer - they've bleeped out ganja, all 50 or so times it is said...hardly a song at that point.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

You mean a dirty version of the Supreme Clientele lp? I think ttlab had a grip alomost a year ago. I have a promo & commercial version that I think is dirty. I'll check when I get home.

that's all i ever see! and i've got one...wanna trade?

Man, there used to be a whole bunch of those out here but they're long gone... sorry

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

If its anything mainstream... there needs to be a version for Walmart.

off the top of my head one thing that doesnt have a clean version is my chemical romance

and block party