Any Rockabilly Breaks??

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Just curious.....Here are my fave Rockabilly artists....anyone who wants to check out the genre from the hard core end will be happy to hear these ...Bill Allen - "Please Give Me Something" on ImperialLamie Brothers - "Wore To A Frazzle" Festus on acid!!!Royal Jokers - "Is This The Place?" Local Dallas insanityHasil Adkins - "Get Out Of The Car"...friend found this OG and we are guilty of listening to it 20 times in a row!!Anything by these guys...Jackie Lee CochranCharlie FeathersMac CurtisJunior ThompsonAnd for an older, more Hillbilly sound...Buck GriffinBill Mack

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I sure as hell hope he was kidding about the "breaks" part, but here's some more classic stuff to check out:
    - Ronnie Molleen "Rockin' Up"
    - Moon Mullican "Seven Nights To Rock"
    - Billy Lee Riley "Is That All To The Ball, Mr. Hall"
    - Ray Sharpe "Linda Lu"
    - Peanuts Wilson "Cast Iron Arm"
    - Recalls "Nobody's Guy"
    - Johnny Burnette Rock & Roll Trio (nuff said)
    - Rock-A-Teens "Woo Hoo" (that cover version by the 5-6-7-8's that turned up in a commercial is godawful)
    - Clear Waters "Hillbilly Blues"
    - Rusty York "Sugaree"
    - Fendermen "Mule Skinner Blues"
    - Carl Perkins "Blue Suede Shoes"
    - Gene Simmons (not the Kiss guy) "I Done Told You"

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I sure as hell hope he was kidding about the "breaks" part, but here's some more classic stuff to check out:
    - Ray Sharpe "Linda Lu"
    - Recalls "Nobody's Guy"
    - Rock-A-Teens "Woo Hoo" (that cover version by the 5-6-7-8's that turned up in a commercial is godawful)
    - Rusty York "Sugaree"

Co-sign......don't know the Recalls or Clear Waters though....some other faves of mine are ""One Hand Loose" by Tommy Spurlin on Art and "Rockin' By Myself" by Sammy Gowans on UA.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Johnny Burnette Rock & Roll Trio (nuff said)

Quite possibly my favorite album ever.

Definitely my favorite to sing along with.

IMO there was no better "screamer" in RAB than Johnny Burnette
    (not his singing itself, which is excellent, but his ad-libbing)

Well the river is cold
    and the bottom is a long-a way down
    If you really gonna leave me that's-a
    where I'm-a gonna be found -
    When the mailman comes in the mornin' -
    There's a note up on-a my door -
    "Just-a bring my mail to the bottom of
    the river, I don't live here no more"

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Carl Perkins- "Dixie Fried" is near the top of my list.

- Ray Sharpe "Linda Lu"
    - Recalls "Nobody's Guy"
    - Rusty York "Sugaree"

Co-sign......don't know the Recalls or Clear Waters though....

I have the Recalls' track on one of those Desperate Rock & Roll compilations (which I recommend for any rockabilly fan who hasn't heard them yet).

Clear Waters is actually an early 45 by Chicago bluesman Eddy Clearwater, who still has a little bit of rockabilly in him - most of his albums have at least one Chuck Berry-inspired track, and a few years ago he recorded an entire rockabilly CD with masked instrumental rockers Los Straitjackets.

some other faves of mine are ""One Hand Loose" by Tommy Spurlin

Sure you don't mean "Hang Loose?" "One Hand Loose" was Charlie Feathers...anyway, both songs are great!

Surely my 4th beer really meant "Hang Loose"

Here's another favorite ... there's a Sparkletones
    comp LP that pops up in dollar bins sometimes - highly recommended!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I agree Hasil Adkins has some great stuff. I have some of those 45s on Norton of his that are cool. I can't see the picture above so I don't know what Sparkletones you are talking about but I love that Black Slacks/Boppin Rock Boogie 45 by Joe Bennett & The Sparkletones. Also, as far as New Zealand Rockabilly goes, Johnny Devlin & The Devils had some tough sides in the late 50s on Prestige. Co-sign on Johnny Burnette, also I like Eddie Cochran. You can't discount Elvis or Gene Vincent either. Wanda Jackson has some cool rockabilly stuff too early on.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

- Rock-A-Teens "Woo Hoo" (that cover version by the 5-6-7-8's that turned up in Kill Bill isn't too bad)
    I also endorse the above records & artists

- Rock-A-Teens "Woo Hoo" (that cover version by the 5-6-7-8's that turned up in Kill Bill isn't too bad)

THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED BY MR. HOLMES DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT PICKWICK 33, BUT HEY, IT'S ALL GOOD! AT LEAST HE DIDN'T BIG-UP THE STRAY CATS[/b]

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    recently got "shake, baby, shake" by Jessie Lee Turner, the b-side to the novelty hit "the little space girl"...

anyways, it's a nice rocked up version of "sexy ways" by hank ballard... very cool... a good 33 cents spent!

recently got "shake, baby, shake" by Jessie Lee Turner, the b-side to the novelty hit "the little space girl"...

anyways, it's a nice rocked up version of "sexy ways" by hank ballard... very cool... a good 33 cents spent!

i've got another 45 on the carlton label by turner...i believe one side is called "thinkin'"

he was actually a credible rockabilly once he got that little space nonsense out of the way

(not to be confused with the superior "flying saucers rock & roll" by billy lee riley & the little green men)

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    Charlie Feathers and Link Wray are my latest obsessions lately (along w/ Jorge Ben and Ghostface).

I dunno about breaks but these dudes are

i've got another 45 on the carlton label by turner...i believe one side is called "thinkin'"

he was actually a credible rockabilly once he got that little space nonsense out of the way

(not to be confused with the superior "flying saucers rock & roll" by billy lee riley & the little green men)

One of the first and best rockabilly 45's I ever found was "Sunglasses After Dark" by Dwight Pullens on Carlton....killer!! There are also a couple of real stinkers on the label by one Kenneth(Kenny) Rodgers

One of the first and best rockabilly 45's I ever found was "Sunglasses After Dark" by Dwight Pullens on Carlton....killer!! There are also a couple of real stinkers on the label by one Kenneth(Kenny) Rodgers

If we're gonna be talking about the Carlton label, we can't overlook the fact that one of that company's biggest sellers was a rockabilly cat:

Jack Scott did a lot of ballads, too, but "Leroy" was surprisingly wild for a Top 40 hit. Ignore that "orchestral" mention on the label - it sounds like a four- or five-piece rock band, plain and simple. (Also dig: "Geraldine.")

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

that's my shit!

i saw Billy Lee like 6 years ago at Rodeo Bar in nyc FOR FREE!!!!!! he was amazing... did either "flying saucers" or "red hot" twice, if my memory serves...

let's see, other rockabilly 45 favs are:

jungle rock- hank mizell ...have this on the UK Charley press in 1976... was a fairly big hit in the pre-punk rock days of pub rock bands like Dr. Feelgood, Eddie and the Hot Rods, and Kilbourn and the High Roads (as well as the whole teddy boy movement...) anyways, this was a big hit and you can find them all over london for like a pound or so...

roberta- frankie ford (b-side to "sea cruise") ...also have another version by someone else from a (again) circ 1976 or 77 british 45 repress...

gotta second Johnny Burnette and Carl Perkins... that Rock N Roll trio record on Solid Smoke is just of the most amazing records ever... in addition to his ad libbed screams, Johnny's rockabilly hiccup on "rockabilly boogie" is just insane... and that FUZZ TONE!

"dixie fried" is a dope song... also "all mama's children" and , if you can find it, the unreleased at the time, "her love rubbed off" which is just nutso... carl sounds plastered and the whole vibe of the song is somehow transcendental... but, for me, my fav Carl song is "boppin' the blues"... just so simple and happy... plus the first thing i got by him on 45 way back in high school...

also

"something else" by eddie cochran... the opening riff is just hard as fuck... so bass heavy and nasty, actually makes the sex pistols version sound tame... and really nice pop songwriting...

also

petrified- ronnie self ...this dude has so many classics, like "date bait" and "ain't i a dog", but i like this one for the out of key chord changes, totally inspired by Carl's "Honey Don't"

oh and can't forget anything by Charlie Rich on Sun, which thanks to Shelby Singleton's, um, resourcefulness, there is no shortage of... dude really does have the most r&b and jazz (no, really!) in his music out of all the sun rockabillys... "everything i do is wrong" is my favorite, just a genius song...

lastly, my local PBS station was showing that Roy Orbison special all last month and it was pretty dope... yes, tom waits can't play his way out of a paper bag on the keys, but Springsteen sounded good on guitar (even on leads!), Elvis Costello knew his role, and motherfucking james burton was holding it down... OOBIE DOOBIE!!!!!!!!!

Dale Hawkins.

Oh hell yes.

"Tornado" kills it.

• I just bought this a few weeks ago which I'm loving:

http://www4.lanline.com/~tsr/tara102.ram

I've barely scratched the surface of rockabilly but there's def some bangers...

anyone heard/got The Tune Tones - She's my baby?

anyone got one for sale even?