dance freak - chain reaction vs. hott ice?

ludwigvanludwigvan 3 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
anybody who knows the story behind "dance freak" and the two versions (both great) done by chain reaction and hott ice?(other great songs imo: "changes" by chain reaction and "we search for tomorrow" by hott ice!)

Comments

• anybody who knows the story behind "dance freak" and the two versions (both great) done by chain reaction and hott ice?

(other great songs imo: "changes" by chain reaction and "we search for tomorrow" by hott ice!)

Cocaine?

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    i have chain reaction on 12"...hot ice on 7"...didn't even realize they are the same tune...are they really?

chain reaction is killer...so dope. there's a re-edit of it out now by some brits or something...they just make it go "everybody freak" rather than "everybody dance...we're the dance freaks"...kinda

• Yes! It's the same song! Can't tell which one is better - they are both good. I have a feeling that Hott Ice is an early 70's release which makes it the original thing.

The credits are different on both versions which leads to the question - Is Chain Reaction's version a bite or is it a cover?

• There's a 12" out on Freestyle by the "South Bronx Community Youth Project" with pretty cool covers of Dance Freak and Feel The Spirit on the flip. Pretty similar to the Chain Reaction version but female vox instead of male. I like it. Even if the label made up an implausible story about these versions being recorded by teens in the early 80s.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    There's a 12" out on Freestyle by the "South Bronx Community Youth Project" with pretty cool covers of Dance Freak and Feel The Spirit on the flip. Pretty similar to the Chain Reaction version but female vox instead of male. I like it. Even if the label made up an implausible story about these versions being recorded by teens in the early 80s.

It really irritates me when labels resort to storytelling to try to sell records

• There's a 12" out on Freestyle by the "South Bronx Community Youth Project" with pretty cool covers of Dance Freak and Feel The Spirit on the flip. Pretty similar to the Chain Reaction version but female vox instead of male. I like it. Even if the label made up an implausible story about these versions being recorded by teens in the early 80s.

It really irritates me when labels resort to storytelling to try to sell records

Yeah, me too. I liked the music enough to overlook their indiscretion in this case.

what do you mean by storytelling? i thought that 12" came about because there was a high school competition back in the day and the winners got to go into the studio with patrick adams and cut a track...and in true P&P style they just threw up an old reel and had them sing over the rhythms to "dance freak" and "feel the spirit". they loved recycling their rhythms...how very jamaican of them.

now that i think about it...the 7" i have is by hot ice and the song is "dancing free".

• what do you mean by storytelling? i thought that 12" came about because there was a high school competition back in the day and the winners got to go into the studio with patrick adams and cut a track...and in true P&P style they just threw up an old reel and had them sing over the rhythms to "dance freak" and "feel the spirit". they loved recycling their rhythms...how very jamaican of them.

now that i think about it...the 7" i have is by hot ice and the song is "dancing free".

I don't think so man. The backing tracks are different too. Supposedly the musicians playing the music were from the high school too. This is from the Freestyle website:

"Having traded records with Dimitri from Paris, Joey Negro and a host of other feverishly obsessed disco collectors, Adrian Gibson knows a rarity when he sees one. During a recent trip to the states, he was offered a collection of master tapes that had been lifted from a small recording studio in the Bronx many years previously. As would be expected, the majority of recordings had perished or were just too bad to consider buying, but upon further inspection this rather special piece of disco history emerged???

As part of an anti drugs campaign during the early 80s, many schools encouraged pupils to form school bands and partake in inter-state competitions to keep them off the streets and the lure of the emerging crack epidemic. One such competition featured the prize of a day in the studio with the legendary disco producer Patrick Adams (Musique "Keep On Jumpin" and "In The Bush", Phreek "Weekend" to name a few). As the story goes, on the actual day of recording the producer was not available, so the members of the winning band ??? pupils of a South Bronx elementary school, recorded these 2 popular tracks of the day as their own tribute to him. Having being undiscovered for more than 2 decades and with no members of the band currently contactable, we are proud to present to you The South Bronx Community Youth Project!"

Sounds like (bad) fiction to me.

to my ear it sounded exactly like the Chain Reaction tune but with different vocals...i find it highly unlikely that high school kids played and engineered that!