TIMMYDIGALOTS

Comments

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

Sourcing can have it's own thread. Hell, it could have it's own forum.
    The Pump and Dump.
    The Slow Leak.
    The Secret Directories Of Unlisted People Who Don't Want To Be Found

Sadly the entire Strutter/collectro world pretty much depends on it at this point. New discoveries, unearthed piles, artists' backstock. A few dudes are basically supplying private press rares to the specialty shops all across the world. If the world only knew...

Soooo many amazing unreleased recordings out there......too few have been picked up and released. Chances are, the artist will die/move/disappear sometime in the next 10 years. It's depressing to think that something which meant so much to them, might as well have never existed. I'm just glad there are people out there trying their best to change that. Word um up

There really aren't enough who aren't after their own self interests.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    "No need to thank me - I just thought you should know that your old record is worth 500 dollars a copy..."

• Sourcing can have it's own thread. Hell, it could have it's own forum.
    The Pump and Dump.
    The Slow Leak.
    The Secret Directories Of Unlisted People Who Don't Want To Be Found

Sadly the entire Strutter/collectro world pretty much depends on it at this point. New discoveries, unearthed piles, artists' backstock. A few dudes are basically supplying private press rares to the specialty shops all across the world. If the world only knew...

Soooo many amazing unreleased recordings out there......too few have been picked up and released. Chances are, the artist will die/move/disappear sometime in the next 10 years. It's depressing to think that something which meant so much to them, might as well have never existed. I'm just glad there are people out there trying their best to change that. Word um up

There really aren't enough who aren't after their own self interests.

Agreed. Def needs to be more people that aren't soley looking to exploit. I guess it helps to realize that many of the established heads are truely trying to help the artists as well as themselves. IE: Egon, Dante, Josh etc.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Aside from selling, I never rub elbows with these younger record dudes "in the field". Maybe it's just where or when I dig, but I never encounter 'em. I only ever used to see them at record shows, and I haven't been to one to dig in at least a year. All of my energy for digging pet peeves is reserved for OLD record dudes (the antique dealers, the "you got any Beatles?" guys, the hoverers, the stingy price-hagglers, etc).

yeah, if you don't have one you have the other. I dunno which is more annoying - but neither really know what the fuck they are doing - so it's not like they are beating you to anything worthwhile.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Haha that is true, dudes show up early now! And there's a lot of new jacks that are all of a sudden trying to source records...

Don't forget the old jacks are still doing it...

Oh yeah, it is hard work and the dudes that do it consistently have my admiration (and my money!).

I just find it odd when you catch a guy who's only been collecting for a couple years sourcing artists and shit. If I had that much time on my hands then I would think sourcing collections would be a better look, more exposure to a wide variety of music, but then again dudes like the status of tracking an artist, they read wax poetics and are like "I can be Egon"

Not trying to start anything here, but a few years ago you seemed totally against this practice.

How has your philosophy changed now that you have a shop? Seems like you are a particpant now, no?

I'm not knocking anything here.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    "No need to thank me - I just thought you should know that your old record is worth 500 dollars a copy..."

Well, this isn't THAT different from going to see an old man's collection and give him pennies for records you know are big $. Is it wrong? Is it right?

Well, this isn't THAT different from going to see an old man's collection and give him pennies for records you know are big $. Is it wrong? Is it right?

I'm convinced this 'old mans collection that can be had for pennies' is purely a myth - most old men I know are cranky & think their records are worth a zillion dollars.

all I'm saying is that there are no saints in this record game.

---

• 99crates99crates 42 Posts

3 hours into this thread....

AND NO TIMMY DIGALOT GRAEMLIN??????

If this isn't a sign that Soulstrut is slipping, I don't know what is.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Haha that is true, dudes show up early now! And there's a lot of new jacks that are all of a sudden trying to source records...

Don't forget the old jacks are still doing it...

Oh yeah, it is hard work and the dudes that do it consistently have my admiration (and my money!).

I just find it odd when you catch a guy who's only been collecting for a couple years sourcing artists and shit. If I had that much time on my hands then I would think sourcing collections would be a better look, more exposure to a wide variety of music, but then again dudes like the status of tracking an artist, they read wax poetics and are like "I can be Egon"

Not trying to start anything here, but a few years ago you seemed totally against this practice.

How has your philosophy changed now that you have a shop? Seems like you are a particpant now, no?

I'm not knocking anything here.

I don't knock sourcing at all. I don't always buy that shit either. I know quite a few dudes that do it and most of them are very fair to the artist. I still have no love for these dudes who are faking the funk and giving artists a pittance (or worse - nothing at all) for their records.

I believe the issue was, a few years ago, that of compensation.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

I'm convinced this 'old mans collection that can be had for pennies' is purely a myth - most old men I know are cranky & think their records are worth a zillion dollars.

all I'm saying is that there are no saints in this record game.

---

However, when they die it's easy to scam their widows.

Most folks are happy to get more than $1/record for their collections. I know quite a few folks who buy collections all the time and NONE of them are "scamming" anyone.

I mean, would you tell the person "you know, these records over here are very rare, you'd do well to list them on ebay"? Would you pull out every rare record in there and give the guy $50 per and leave anything worth less than $20? Or would you buy the whole thing and come up with an average rate - say $8 per? For every one $100 record you just bought for $8 there are ten $2 records you paid the same amount for. It evens out. Then you have to clean, mend, grade, list, sell.... nobody's out here getting rich by screwing over old folks. Sure there's some shadyness, but like Soulhawk said, it's kind of a myth (probably perpetuated by those who don't actually buy collections).

also: record knowledge is not something that everyone has, having the right knowledge is worth nearly as much as having the right record.

---

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    .... nobody's out here getting rich by screwing over old folks.

But you are wearing Escada and Christian Dior

• also: record knowledge is not something that everyone has, having the right knowledge is worth nearly as much as having the right record.

---

The record game, like every other collectible market, is entirely driven by information asymmetry. Sourcing is just another way of finding asymmetry in a market that is moving towards equilibrium due to Manships Guide, Popsike, Ebay, etc. It's a natural market expression.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    The internet has killed off the art of the old school digger.

And change can be frightening to the old guard.

Hey Greg, do you think that the kids are better served by the internet than the old trial and error, hands dirty method?

I know the internet is great for me, I learn tons that way - but nothing beats getting out there "in the trenches"...

Hunting for records has never been easier for the individual......rock up to your computer and you know you can have a days worth of digging right there. It's easier to get recommended and schooled on what's hot and what's not. Kind of obvious, but as an old schooler, it was all trial and error...hours on the telephone being played new finds, travelling all hours just to get to one spot etc etc. Getting contacts that comes with experience.

The Net has blowed it wide open, for those with the initiative. I *heart* the internet too.....but it's a great leveller.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

The record game, like every other collectible market, is entirely driven by information asymmetry. Sourcing is just another way of finding asymmetry in a market that is moving towards equilibrium due to Manships Guide, Popsike, Ebay, etc. It's a natural market expression.

Look at motherfuckin Adam Smith over here. Smells like someone is rationalizing their guilt feelings.

I'm just fucking around, I admire your resourcefulness in the game---Timmydon'tdigthatmuch

Getting contacts that comes with experience.

eh, that's what separates the men from the boys though!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Fuck the innernets. I find something out in "the field" that makes me shit my pants. And then I see a copy on craigmoer or some shit for $5. Fuck. I hate that.

I find something out in "the field" that makes me shit my pants.

you mean like bad tacos?

I find something out in "the field" that makes me shit my pants.

you mean like bad tacos?

I was thinking about chicken-wings, but yeah, tacos work.

that's like 'method' digging.

feel funky, find funky.

---

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

eh, that's what separates the men from the boys though!

Ya - so much easier today to though.

feel funky, find funky.

---

can this be related to the pavlovian "need to use the toilet" any time you look at records? That shit is REAL!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Where does fit into this equation?

• y'all a bunch of bloody cuntrag ass faggots. are you really mad that i'm rocking pool parties with quadruples of bodacioius d.f. and uncle chapin while you try to drown out the sound of your baby crying and your wife yelling at you with your $200 telemusic library records and no name sub-kashif acetates? what i eat don't make you shit. but you can most definitely open wide and eat some shit if you're really gripping liquid smoke or whatever. what's even funnier is that you pansies worry about me pulling some record i'm gonna actually PLAY or make a fucking heatrock out of while you sweat that you could have made $7 on it or some shit. motherfuckin soul flutes trust in me for 3 dollars or some shit. come the fuck off it. y'all some grown ass men posting on a message board and shit. what the fuck ever. your clammy palm sweat is my sweet sweet nectar.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

feel funky, find funky.

---

yeah, do not take a shower before diggin...might mess up your finds but fo real imho, I'd love to see more young dudes in the game. I can only think of one who came via rap and last time i saw him in a record store (he was about 18 at the time) he was getting into Dave Pike and stuff...certainly no guy that went with the "holy book of hiphop" under his arm...and it doesn't matter if it is a young dude or an older hardcore digger...unless you're not in your various shops you frequent on an almost daily basis, you'll miss out on some heat...nature of the game...so I don't hate on timmydigalots (maybe I am still one myself), more people diggin just means that stores stay in business...can't talk about reccord shows though, my last big one was 13 yrs ago

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    y'all a bunch of bloody cuntrag ass faggots. are you really mad that i'm rocking pool parties with quadruples of bodacioius d.f. and uncle chapin while you try to drown out the sound of your baby crying and your wife yelling at you with your $200 telemusic library records and no name sub-kashif acetates? what i eat don't make you shit. but you can most definitely open wide and eat some shit if you're really gripping liquid smoke or whatever. what's even funnier is that you pansies worry about me pulling some record i'm gonna actually PLAY or make a fucking heatrock out of while you sweat that you could have made $7 on it or some shit. motherfuckin soul flutes trust in me for 3 dollars or some shit. come the fuck off it. y'all some grown ass men posting on a message board and shit. what the fuck ever. your clammy palm sweat is my sweet sweet nectar.

a couple record places that I have to drive a distance to visit, I always stop at taco bell first - I get a chicken que & hard shell taco (no drink) - every time.

then I pee before I hit the record spot.

---

y'all a bunch of bloody cuntrag ass faggots. are you really mad that i'm rocking pool parties with quadruples of bodacioius d.f. and uncle chapin while you try to drown out the sound of your baby crying and your wife yelling at you with your $200 telemusic library records and no name sub-kashif acetates? what i eat don't make you shit. but you can most definitely open wide and eat some shit if you're really gripping liquid smoke or whatever. what's even funnier is that you pansies worry about me pulling some record i'm gonna actually PLAY or make a fucking heatrock out of while you sweat that you could have made $7 on it or some shit. motherfuckin soul flutes trust in me for 3 dollars or some shit. come the fuck off it. y'all some grown ass men posting on a message board and shit. what the fuck ever. your clammy palm sweat is my sweet sweet nectar.

Dan Savage is still my favorite alias.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Well dude, while you stay keeping his name in your mouth . . .