Post some styrene 45s people DJ with

NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
so people can be warned when buying um then spinning. I've gotten pretty good at telling by weight, feel, and look, but I figure this thread should help (especially with blind buying on the bay.) Here are some off the top of my head:BW Souls - Marvin's GrooveIke and Tina Turner - Bold Soul Sister (there is a vinyl pressing though)9th St. Exit - 9th St.Tons of James Brown singlesChambers Brothers - Funky (mono)/ Funky (stereo)Curtis Knight - Devil Made Me Do itGran AM - Get HighEddie Bo - Hook and Sling (green label)Eddie Jacobs Exchange - Pull My coat (promo)Black Merda - Cynthy Ruth

Comments

• djrdjr 511 Posts

2 off the top of my head:

Winstons - Amen, Brother
    Louis Chachere - The Hen (seen some copies on styrene)

NiteKrawler - will reply tonight after work.
    Suppose I should get back to being productive.......

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    'sad chicken' - leroy and the drivers (duo)
    'bold soul sister' - ike and tina (some copies on blue thumb)
    'here come the girls' - ernie k. doe(janus)
    'kc drive' - tommy wills (juke)

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Joe Bataan - "After Shower Funk"

After playing it out 2 times, the instant cueburn means it's staying home now.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

BW Souls - Marvin's Groove

really? i think mine's on wax. hmmm better check.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Chuck Carbo - "Can I be Your Squeeze" (Canyon Press)
    Interpretations - "Trippin" (both Promo and Issue copies are styrene)
    Michael Kirkland - "The Prophet"
    Jo Ann Garret - "Now Girl"

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

BW Souls - Marvin's Groove

I think mine is, too. I know I've scratched with it a bunch, and there's almost no burn. My green label of "Hook & Sling," however, is cue-burned to shit.

• puppup 133 Posts
    Big John Hamilton "Big Bad John"
    45 version of Ain't No Half Steppin
    Touch "Pick and Shovel"

cosign on the BW Souls (I think there is only a styrene pressing)
    and cosign on the Ike and Tina and Amen (although I did manage to get rinked vinyl copies of both causing me to play out either or depending on the venue and how much I want to impress with clean copies of records vs cutting up and mixing)

Lyn Collins "Think (About IT)"
    and Dyke and the Blazers "Let a Woman be a Woman" ...apparently there are vinyl copies of both out there but living on the west coasat where styrene pressing is more prevalent has made getting a vinyl copy of either tough.

ps if anyone has a vinyl copy of either for trade I've got a nice funk 45 list...

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    Third Guitar: Baby don't cry (Rojac)

5 Miles Out: Super Sweet Girl of Mine (Hot Line)

Guitar Ray: You're gonna wreck my life (forgot the label, Shagg?)

All the Lovations 45's

Blue label Eddie Bo's Hook & Sling is on vinyl btw, so cop that instead of the green one.

Isley Brothers: I got work to do (T-Neck)

... there is probably hundreds more, so watch out with that terdtablism. Playing them with a wrong kind of needle fucks 'em up too, that I learned from my PT-01 portable experience.

• BW Souls - Marvin's Groove

I think mine is, too. I know I've scratched with it a bunch, and there's almost no burn. My green label of "Hook & Sling," however, is cue-burned to shit.

I'd heard through the grapevine there was a vinyl version, but so far the 3 I've come across have all been styrene. Burned one to shreds.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

the one on (green) Duo?

I'd heard through the grapevine there was a vinyl version, but so far the 3 I've come across have all been styrene. Burned one to shreds.

Blue label Eddie Bo's Hook & Sling is on vinyl btw, so cop that instead of the green one.

Oh yeah,

forgot my least favourite styrene 45:

Dorando: Didn't I (Music City)

Seems to be nearly impossible to find a copy that plays good. High ends on my copy are fucked up.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Mickey & the Soul Generation - Iron Leg/Chocolate
    Joann Garrett - It's No Secret
    IBB - Bongolia/whatever the flip is
    vast majority of People 45s

I'm sure there are tons more

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Damn,
    i have a Lyn Collins - Think (about it) single thats def not styrene - been cutting that shit up for years. It's a green label promo copy though, and I think there was some consesnsus a while back that green label promo pressings on People were not styrene pressings.

My copy of BW Souls - Marvin's groove is also vinyl.

But damn, tell me it ain't so with the Kirkland - prophet single. I just bought a copy of that on ebay and I am really hoping it ain't styrene now!

• okiba75okiba75 89 Posts
    I have a Lyn Collins - Think (about it) single thats def not styrene - been cutting that shit up for years. It's a green label promo copy though, and I think there was some consesnsus a while back that green label promo pressings on People were not styrene pressings.

My copies of this 45 are pretty much all burned up... Must keep an eye out for those promo pressings.

So it seems the general opinion is go ahead and use styrene 45s for sets, but just be uber-careful with em?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    So it seems the general opinion is go ahead and use styrene 45s for sets, but just be uber-careful with em?

Backcueing and heavy needles are a big no-no with styrene... if you can still play em out taking these into consideration, go ahead

• djrdjr 511 Posts

few more....

Warm Excursion - Hang Up
    James Lewis Fields - How Long Do I Wait
    Billy Best & DItalians - Baby, That Takes The Cake (although I wouldn't DJ with this)

Backcueing and heavy needles are a big no-no with styrene... if you can still play em out taking these into consideration, go ahead

I always learn the hard way though! I had a 45 of Kurtis Blow - the breaks that I 'learned' was styrene.

• Warm Excursion - Hang Up

forgot bout this one. I burned the intro to the drum break on mine right off the bat, but man.....how can you resist mixing those drums? doh.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Warm Excursion - Hang Up

forgot bout this one. I burned the intro to the drum break on mine right off the bat, but man.....how can you resist mixing those drums? doh.

THIS IS WHAT COMPS AND REISSUES ARE FOR PEOPLE

Even if I did have 'skratch skillz' I wouldn't apply them to OG 45s!!

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

the one on (green) Duo?

You got it

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    'sad chicken' - leroy and the drivers (duo)

Love that track...

Warm Excursion - Hang Up

I love using my original 45s. Why just the other day I amazed 3 people at a suburban bar with my doubles routine using my 2 original salt - hung up 45s. Shit was bangin'.

• Warm Excursion - Hang Up

In my defense I was just mixing it into another beat fading out, no scratching that time

• doubles routine using my 2 original salt - hung up 45s

you only have doubles?

doubles routine using my 2 original salt - hung up 45s

you only have doubles?

Gimme a minute. I only started collecting all the brainfreeze 7"s last week. Ebay doesn't have them all listed at the moment.

• okiba75okiba75 89 Posts
    Gimme a minute. I only started collecting all the brainfreeze 7"s last week. Ebay doesn't have them all listed at the moment.

Just make sure you stack them shits ontop of each other on the decks when you're mixing...

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts
    My Guitar Ray is on thick, nice vinyl.. acctually i've never seen a Shagg 45 on styrene..

Some more:

Aaron Neville "hercules" (the white demos and some issues)
    Kellee Patterson "i'm gonna love you just.."
    New World "we're gonna make it"
    Colt 45s "lady lady"

peas
    L

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Possibly one of my favourite songs EVER, Ruby Andrews "You made a believer out of me" on Zodiac. That intro sounds like bacon in the frying pan now but I'm not leaving that 45 at home. Think there might be a blue label promo on vinyl though.

My Guitar Ray is on thick, nice vinyl.. acctually i've never seen a Shagg 45 on styrene..

Some more:

Aaron Neville "hercules" (the white demos and some issues)
    Kellee Patterson "i'm gonna love you just.."
    New World "we're gonna make it"
    Colt 45s "lady lady"

peas
    L

I'm pretty sure that copy I fondled at jinx's place was on styrene. Well, could be wrong.